Greek Super League

970 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ThunderCougarFalconBird
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Russian owner of PAOK F.C. invaded the pitch with his bodyguards and a gun holstered to his side and confronted the referee over his team having a goal disallowed due to an offside call in the 89th minute. The match was abandoned. Now the entire Greek league has been indefinitely suspended. Those crazy Russians.

jeffk
AG
CONN! CRAZY IVAN!
OregonAggie
AG
First our elections and now interfering in Greek soccer?

What are these Russians planning??
Mathguy64
AG
Saw this yesterday. There is way more to this story. PAOK played Olympiakos last week and things were so bad PAOK was docked 3 points and told they would play AEK in an empty stadium. At the last minute (literally 12 hours before the match) the stadium ban was overturned and the points returned.

Supposedly someone told the ref on the field "you are done" and that someone is a former FIFA ref who has worked WC matches. He now works for one of the teams.
Mathguy64
AG
The goal in question was initially given. The Cr went over to the AR after being mobbed then he changed his mind and said offside. The AR never signaled offside and in the clip I saw seemed to signal the goal was good.

The goal looked good but offside would not have been a crazy call. It was a player in offside position right in the goal mouth. He tried to play the ball but looks like he missed it.
Mathguy64
AG
The video I saw Crazy Ivan tried to draw his gun and one of the bodyguards put him in a bear hug to stop him.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
mathguy86 said:

The goal in question was initially given. The Cr went over to the AR after being mobbed then he changed his mind and said offside. The AR never signaled offside and in the clip I saw seemed to signal the goal was good.

The goal looked good but offside would not have been a crazy call. It was a player in offside position right in the goal mouth. He tried to play the ball but looks like he missed it.
Glad to hear someone that really knows what they're talking about weigh in on the call. Just eyeballing the goal, I thought it should (or at least defensibly could) stand as called too.

I realize the massive amount of heat that the ref is under, but at one point or another, shouldn't the ref start making it rain cards once he gets mobbed?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.