Charlie Davies Officially Joins the John O'Brien All-Stars

1,004 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Pahdz
Dre_00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Charlie Davies announces his retirement at the relatively young age of 31. He wasn't getting a lot of playing time and when he did, he wasn't very productive so this isn't a massive shock though still a little surprising.

Fair or unfair, I will always wonder what might have been had he not suffered such severe injuries in that car accident in DC. He clearly wasn't the same player after the injuries. I don't think he would have ever reached Pulisic levels or anything like that but he had quite a nice little career blossoming when that accident happened. After a successful stint in Sweden, he worked his way to France with Sochaux and was getting playing time and seeing success early. After the injury, he scored a whopping 26 goals in 8 years.

Farewell and good luck Charlie. When you see John at the induction ceremony, tell him we all still love him.
duck79
AG
If nothing else, maybe he would have made Jozy work a little harder to get national team minutes.
Pahdz
Our WC in 2010 would have looked much different with him.

Have we inducted Stu yet?
jeffk
AG
Yeah, someone had a list of all the top American talent that we had lost to injury around that time. Tons of guys I was super excited about at the time. Crazy to think what could have been.
Pahdz
Was Cory Gibbs on that list?
jeffk
AG
Not that one, but he's another one.

Dre_00
Stu was a first ballot selection
YankeeAg05
Stu is the biggest what if for me. At his peak he was one of best CM in the premier league but it was too brief. He was just better at controlling and dictating the midfield play than anyone we've had in years.
Pahdz
He punched well above his weight too when it came to tackling and defending. I get the sads thinking about the USMNT missing out on peak Stu
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.