EPL open to long winter break

879 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ja86
OregonAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.espn.com/soccer/english-premier-league/23/blog/post/3374502/premier-league-winter-break-how-it-could-work-and-when-it-would-be

Too many details so just read the article for more info, but they are looking at doing a 2 week break in January and starting the season a week earlier. I didn't realize that many top leagues in Europe do this. The article mentions the possibility of friendlies versus other leagues...which would be really cool!

What's everyone's thoughts?
wangus12
AG
Prepare for the season either lasting through June or tons of mid week games
OregonAggie
AG
I'm fine with a few more midweek games. I enjoy having lunch during the week and watching a game so that wouldn't be the worst thing to me. I would assume midweek games would be the solution as opposed to extending the season into June due to the World Cup and Euros every other year.
eiggA2002
AG
Meh. It won't affect the festive period fixture congestion. That's the reason all the managers b**ch about the lack of a winter break. Since it doesn't remedy that I don't see too much of a benefit. Most teams just had 8-10 days off this past week anyways. Close enough. I'd love to have my team get some rest, but I'd also like them to have some time off in the summer. Ze Germans have it easy. Less teams and only one domestic cup.
TXAggie2011
AG
eiggA2002 said:

Meh. It won't affect the festive period fixture congestion. That's the reason all the managers b**ch about the lack of a winter break. Since it doesn't remedy that I don't see too much of a benefit. Most teams just had 8-10 days off this past week anyways.
It was very much a minority that got longer break. The majority had an FA Cup game. Some also had a Carabao Cup game.

The idea would be to ensure everyone gets some sort of breather, especially those who have cup games coming up.

Managers don't like the congested holiday schedule, but it sounds like many managers would more accepting of it if they got 2 weeks to take a breath after the crazy holiday schedule.

Its not just the Germans. Its most of Europe. And I don't think EPL managers like going into European group games against teams that were able to take a breath and reset a few weeks prior.
TXAggie2011
AG
wangus12 said:

Prepare for the season either lasting through June or tons of mid week games
Don't they just need to move 2 sets of games--FA Cup round and an EPL round? So, I think you would still see it all done before June.
byfLuger41
Mathguy64
AG
There is an easy solution. Kick 2 teams out and play with 17 teams. That's 4 less games for everyone else. Problem solved.

I vote City and Swansea. Best and worst. Tighten the table up each way makes it more interesting for everyone else.
TXAggie2011
AG
mathguy86 said:

There is an easy solution. Kick 2 teams out and play with 17 teams. That's 4 less games for everyone else. Problem solved.

I vote City and Swansea. Best and worst. Tighten the table up each way makes it more interesting for everyone else.

Maybe I'm just not a mathguy but if they kick 2 teams out of a 20 team league, they'd play with 18 teams, right?
Mathguy64
AG
I am StupidMathGuy. 38 game season became 19 teams in the league in my pea brain.

I probably should stop grading exams right now because who knows what I'm counting right versus wrong.
ja86
AG
and here i was thinking that you were using irrational numbers
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.