Carpool Confessional - Geoff Cameron

1,919 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jeffk
akm91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A pretty good read..

Carpool Confessional
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
boogieman
AG
Good read. Thanks for sharing.

Not sure I agree that Jurgen would of gotten us there though. The team looked to have completely quit on him.
Aston94
AG
JK had just come off a good summer with the Copa, so I don't know that the team had quit on him, they just played really poorly in a two game stretch.

Now JK deserves the blame for that, and I don't know if the team would have qualified, but I said it at the time that the Arena hire was not a good one. His arrogance led to bad decisions (one of which was specifically leaving Cameron on the bench for an obviously slow Omar Gonzales) and it cost us a place in the WC.
eiggA2002
AG
Good article. Arena is a clown. His MLS homer-ness cost us a WC spot. Players are also to blame, but he did not put the best team out there on most occasions.
akm91
AG
Quote:

His arrogance led to bad decisions (one of which was specifically leaving Cameron on the bench for an obviously slow Omar Gonzales) and it cost us a place in the WC.
I absolutely think Cameron should've started at least 1 if not both of the final matches. On top of that, it seems Arena had already made up his mind to go with his guy (aka Gonzales). If that's the case, why have him fly over for the 2 matches to plant him on the bench?
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
TheMasterplan
If Arena would have stuck with his normal game plan of changing up the starting line up for the last two games, we'd be in the WC I think.
gig them
AG
That's the part that infuriates me. This was masterfully done in the two game stretch that included Azteca... and then we went away from it.

To not have a separate game plan, formation, or starting XI for T&T... it just reeks of CONCACAF snobbery.

That **** don't fly anymore. These other countries can play.
PatAg
AG
I was pretty sure Bruce Would get us through, he generally chose players well and had good tactics. Guess he just lost his touch, or chose the guys to be "his guys" this time around.

I think Geoff is a little deluded about Klinsmann, though it's possible he could have turned it around. I really though Jurgen would get it done, but he just didn't have it that last year.
PatAg
AG
I don't think any of us realize just how depressing this summer is going to be. I mean, we were pretty bummed out/angry when we lost, and I am right now...but that first week of games man...
gig them
AG
Rather than deal with that disappointment, I've buried it good and deep.

I expect it to come flooding back on opening day and it's going to be really enjoyable.
Gordo14
PatAg said:

I don't think any of us realize just how depressing this summer is going to be. I mean, we were pretty bummed out/angry when we lost, and I am right now...but that first week of games man...

Only 4.75 more years until I get to watch USA soccer at the world cup... Hopefully
deadbq03
titanmaster_race
Gordo14 said:

PatAg said:

Only 4.75 more years until I get to watch USA soccer at the world cup... Hopefully

I'm going to be in my 30s....
jeffk
AG
Each new tweet about a World Cup kit release is a dagger to my heart.
Aston94
AG
titanmaster_race said:

Gordo14 said:

PatAg said:

I'm going to be in my 30s....
I will be 50, so....
Pahdz
https://www.theplayerstribune.com/geoff-cameron-what-must-change-in-u-s-soccer/

Geoff still coming in with the heat
jeffk
AG
Really good read.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.