*****Official US v Bosnia Match Thread*****

2,628 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jeffk
OregonAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The kids are playing well so far and have created a lot of chances. Seem pretty organized in the back as well.

0-0 27th minute.
OregonAggie
AG
Opara is having a good game so far in defense. The US has a very athletic squad out there.
Texags is garbage
Finally worked up the courage to turn this match on.
www.JimboFisher.Ninja
jeffk
AG
I'm so over Zardes.
Texags is garbage
jeffk said:

I'm so over Zardes.
That experiment should have ended a long time ago.
www.JimboFisher.Ninja
OregonAggie
AG
Apparently Hamid sucks with the ball at his feet...damn near had an assist for BOSNIA!
jeffk
AG
Subs bringing on a couple guys who should have started. This Karachan guy really is just a carbon copy of Arena.
ja86
AG
He's just an interim coach right? Dude looks like he's almost 70.
www.JimboFisher.Ninja
Aston94
AG
another angry ag said:

Yes, just a caretaker. He was Arena's top assistant.
Texags is garbage
Hopefully our future coach isn't allergic to the attacking 3rd.
www.JimboFisher.Ninja
jeffk
AG
Aston94 said:

another angry ag said:

Yes, just a cryptkeeper. He was Arena's top assistant.

FIFY
jeffk
AG
Also, Nike kits suck.
jeffk
AG
Is Jordan Morris a white Zardes?
Wrighty
AG
Having a 9:30 pm EST kickoff is a complete fail, in terms of marketing and exposure.

Make these games front and center in day time tv, and advertise the games.
gig them
AG
This match (and the lack of coverage) really slammed home the impact of missing the WC

We've got a lot of ground to make up in the next couple of years
Aston94
AG
Not sure how much coverage you guys wanted or expected for a friendly between two teams that failed to reach the WC in a WC year, both playing what amounted to their C teams, one of which who has an interim coach.

It was as close to a meaningless game as you could get for two international teams.

We have a long way to go to get ready for the next WCQ process, but until there is a new president and then a new coach there is no real purpose to these games.

jeffk
AG
I didn't care about the real outcome of the game and thought coverage was adequate for what it was.

Real purpose for me watching was to see some new faces actually playing competitively for us. It was interesting to see some of them play - although the squad selection was very much Arena-like (which I should have expected from his #1 assistant) and the actual soccer wasn't all that attractive. A couple of bright spots, but nothing to write home about.
Wrighty
AG
Aston94 said:

Not sure how much coverage you guys wanted or expected for a friendly between two teams that failed to reach the WC in a WC year, both playing what amounted to their C teams, one of which who has an interim coach.

It was as close to a meaningless game as you could get for two international teams.

We have a long way to go to get ready for the next WCQ process, but until there is a new president and then a new coach there is no real purpose to these games.

More exposure for kids and fans is always good. My socccer kids watched college b-ball instead during the day. Then they went and shot hoops afterwards.

If only meaningful US soccer games are out front and center, kids will see what, 2 games per year?
02skiag
AG
I had no clue there was a game until I saw this thread.
byfLuger41
Aston94
AG
Don't get me wrong, I watched every minute of the game. I enjoy watching the younger kids play, and enjoyed the game.

But I think you and me and our ilk are way more the exception than the rule. I don't know that I would have wanted last night's game heavily promoted to the masses. Why waste your advertising effort on a game between two C teams with a coach who will not be coaching after this game?

I would expect the promotion and push to really start with the WC friendlies when we will have our new coach in place and we will be building towards the next WCQ.
jeffk
AG
Right - I enjoyed watching the game, but would never even mention it to someone who wasn't really invested in the US program seriously.
ShotOver
AG
OregonAggie said:

Opara is having a good game so far in defense. The US has a very athletic squad out there.
When did Oprah take up soccer?
JoeOlson
AG
The team wasn't that young. I'd rather they 100% focus on U21 players at this point. I mean wasn't the average age of the team ~26? What's the point of even giving the time to people who aren't going to part of the next wave.
Pahdz
jeffk said:

Is Jordan Morris a white Zardes?

It's sure looking that way
OregonAggie
AG
JoeOlson said:

The team wasn't that young. I'd rather they 100% focus on U21 players at this point. I mean wasn't the average age of the team ~26? What's the point of even giving the time to people who aren't going to part of the next wave.

If you're focused on 2026 then I understand but a player that will be 30 in 4 years is worth a look for 2022.
akm91
AG
OregonAggie said:

JoeOlson said:

If you're focused on 2026 then I understand but a player that will be 30 in 4 years is worth a look for 2022.
Let's not forget there are a couple of tournaments before the 2022 WC.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
Aston94
AG
JoeOlson said:

One factor to remember is that really only MLS players are available for this camp (those and northern Europe players whose leagues have a winter break). So young players in Europe or Mexico are not available.

Here is the roster for the game and their ages:

1-Bill Hamid (GK) 27---Really entering his prime age as a GK, 31 in 2022 and 35 in 2026 (good for a gk)
12-Zack Steffen (GK) 22---Obviously young enough to be considered for 2022 and beyong

15-Matt Polster (LD) 24---I doubt he is really a part of long term plans, but age wise he would be perfect.
21-Walker Zimmerman (CD) 24---same goes for him as Polster
3-Ike Opara (CD) 28---Opara isprobably a bit too old tobe part of the long term plans, but so much of our CD depth is in Europe and weren't avalaible for this training camp.
2-Justin Morrow (RD) 30---Like Oparra, too old to be part of long term plan, but much of our depth at position is in Europe or in Mexico and not available for camp.

4-Tyler Adams (CM) 18---Without question young enough
9-Gyasi Zardes (RM) 26---Zardes is getting to an age where he needs to be in his prime, and he isn't there.
20-Paul Arriola (RM) 22---Talent wise and age wise he should be getting the minutes in front of Zardes
6-Wil Trapp (CM) 25---Trapp is older than I thought, but definitely young enough to be a factor in 2022
14-Rubio Rubin (CM) 21---Perfect age for next 2 WCs
8-Cristian Roldan (RM) 22---Perfect age for next 2 WCs
11-Kelyn Rowe (RM) 26---I am sure his position was given as a reward for his efforts in coming back from the injury last year in the Gold Cup. He could play a art of qualifying for WCQ and 2022 WC

7-Juan Agudelo (F) 25---Good age for next WC and qualifying
13-Jordan Morris (F) 23---Perfect age for next 2 WCs
17-CJ Sapong (F) 29---Not sure why he was called up and got so much PT in the game

Subs who did not play:
5-Tim Parker (CB) 24---Parker is definitely young enough, but he always seems to fail to shine at these camps when given the chance.
16-Russell Canouse (MF) 22---Perfect age for next 2 WCs
18-Marky Delgado (MF) 22---Perfect age for next 2 WCs
24 Nick Lima (D) 24---Perfect age for next 2 WCs

So the three players who are "too old" in my book are Opara, Morrow and Sapong. Of the three the only one I really don't understand is Sapong. The other two were uinvited because our younger talent at their position is in Europe or Mexico.
akm91
AG
Quote:

So the three players who are "too old" in my book are Opara, Morrow and Sapong. Of the three the only one I really don't understand is Sapong. The other two were uinvited because our younger talent at their position is in Europe or Mexico.
The Morrow start is the one I don't get. Greg Garza was in camp and is 25. There's Danny Acosta (teenager) who didn't make the bench but could be the future at the LB position. Neither of those got a sniff of playing time.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
Aston94
AG
Neither Garza or Acosta made the bench. Why? I have no idea. Maybe they were dinged up, maybe they sucked in camp. Or maybe our interim coach is an idiot.

This gets me back to my original point that the game itself was largely irrelevant. the person deciding playing time and the invite list will not be the coach after the new president is elected next week.
captainsubtext
Reading Bobby Warshaw's (former FCD player) comments make me learn more about the game than my simplistic viewing of watching players in what seems like a know nothing friendly.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/01/29/warshaw-what-five-mlsers-should-take-us-national-team-experience
jeffk
AG
Yeah, Karachan is an Arena clone - his selection process seems to heavily value age and experience, even for meaningless games. Glad he won't be around much longer. Whomever we hire needs to be a bit more courageous and push the players to be that way too.

Also, I can't get over how much he looks like John Noble. Come to think of it, I would be okay with letting Walter from Fringe be our NT coach for the March friendlies.

?t=1315251927&quality=90&h=300

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.