USMNT Loses J. Gonzalez to Mexio

2,759 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by LSU Baseball Fan
Smokedraw01
How long do you want to ignore this user?

U.S.'s January squad overshadowed by Gonzalez choosing Mexico
jeffk
AG
I think this is far more about the fact that the US won't be playing in the 2018 WC and doesn't have a coach than some failure of leadership or him not being invited to the October friendlies.
aarjon
wangus12
AG
Knew it was gonna happen the moment we didn't make the World Cup.
gig them
AG
I don't blame him. We're flat out not an attractive option right now.

My only hope is that we get our act together by the time another big decision like this comes up.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Agree the biggest reason is probably missing the World Cup, but if true, it is completely unacceptable to have zero communication with a player of this magnitude and in this situation.
OregonAggie
AG
ColoradoMooseHerd said:

Agree the biggest reason is probably missing the World Cup, but if true, it is completely unacceptable to have zero communication with a player of this magnitude and in this situation.

I read that the other day and knew he was gone. Sucks but I thought our young guys looked good against Portugal. If he does t want to play here than whatever. We have enough young talent to build around and I think the US is finally going to play with a chip on their shoulder like 20 years ago.
jay040
If wanting to play in the 2018 World Cup regardless of what country you're playing for is more important than helping the USMNT get to the 2022 World Cup, and representing the US during that effort, then good riddance.

Maybe it's a bit naive and ideological, but I'd rather have the players representing our country be willing to risk never playing in the World Cup (clearly 2022 isn't guaranteed) if they can't play it in wearing the USA jersey. I'm also aware that we may have some dual citizens on our team may have chosen the to play for the US because it was the most sure way for them to play in a World Cup. I also realize that Gonzalez has lived in Mexico since he was 14, so he clearly has ties to the country. I have no idea about his family history/culture and if his parents/grandparents grew up cheering for El Tri. But if missing U-20 World Cup and a pointless friendly are enough to make him want to choose Mexico over the US, then good riddance.
LeonardSkinner
ColoradoMooseHerd said:

The couple of articles I read mentioned that USA had reached out several times (Ramos and Rongen, among others), but were ultimately ignored.

Not qualifying was probably the final straw, but I bet his family and friends were doing their best to influence him to pick El Tri.
Aston94
AG
No president
No coach
No World Cup
No direction

We are not a real attractive option at this time for those that have options.
Smokedraw01
So how good is this kid? As I understand it, he was the most likely to replace Bradley at defensive mid. Do we have Bradley's replacement on our team now or do we just have the guy who is going to take his place when he retires?
Mike Elko
AG
No WC, no Go-Go.
gig them
AG
jay040 said:

If wanting to play in the 2018 World Cup regardless of what country you're playing for is more important than helping the USMNT get to the 2022 World Cup, and representing the US during that effort, then good riddance.

Maybe it's a bit naive and ideological, but I'd rather have the players representing our country be willing to risk never playing in the World Cup (clearly 2022 isn't guaranteed) if they can't play it in wearing the USA jersey. I'm also aware that we may have some dual citizens on our team may have chosen the to play for the US because it was the most sure way for them to play in a World Cup. I also realize that Gonzalez has lived in Mexico since he was 14, so he clearly has ties to the country. I have no idea about his family history/culture and if his parents/grandparents grew up cheering for El Tri. But if missing U-20 World Cup and a pointless friendly are enough to make him want to choose Mexico over the US, then good riddance.

If you want to dump the guys that chose us over someone else solely because our World Cup prospects were higher, I can respect that consistency.

But if you're fine with those guys and angry at this situation, I'm not really sure that's a realistic approach.
jay040
Quote:

If you want to dump the guys that chose us over someone else solely because our World Cup prospects were higher, I can respect that consistency.

But if you're fine with those guys and angry at this situation, I'm not really sure that's a realistic approach.
I'm just acknowledging that I'm aware it exists. I didn't say it doesn't bother me.
PatAg
AG
I think the Federation just dropped the ball with this kid the last couple years. He's been in our system the whole time, but that doesn't mean you don't still make him feel wanted.
I saw a tweet this morning that we only have ONE full time scout and many part time.scouts
How is this possible
JJxvi
AG
Yawn
PatAg
AG
https://www.socceramerica.com/publications/article/76356/brad-rothenberg-our-federation-lost-jonathan-gon.html
LeonardSkinner
PatAg said:

https://www.socceramerica.com/publications/article/76356/brad-rothenberg-our-federation-lost-jonathan-gon.html

Interesting viewpoint, but I feel like there's something off about the tone of the interview.
Mike Elko
AG
Timothy Tillman switching from Germany to U.S. Way to be, TT.
PatAg
AG
aggie kid said:

PatAg said:

Interesting viewpoint, but I feel like there's something off about the tone of the interview.
Yea, I would agree with that its definitely a little too biased towards the quality of the org. I just personally didn't even know that the org existed, and it's a really interesting notion. It does seem like our national team has been pretty underrepresented by latino players considering the demographics of our population. We know US soccer, and MLS, both struggle to identify all the talent out there (not just latino, any races really) just due to the size of the nation.
jeffk
AG
AND NOW MEXICO HAS STOLEN LANDON DONOVAN AWAY FROM US!!!
OregonAggie
AG
The Alamo and Goliad have just occurred with the losses of Gonzales and Donovan...I believe the 2019 Gold Cup with be our Battle of San Jacinto.

REMEMBER THE ALAMO REMEMBER GOLIAD
wangus12
AG
I know we shouldn't, but can we please call Landon Donovan up for one game so he can play with Pulisic
aznaggiegirl07
AG
How does that work? when players jump ship to another country? Are they allowed to go back and forth?

I understand that it wouldnt look good if players did that often, but would he be allowed back?
Smokedraw01
aznaggiegirl07 said:

How does that work? when players jump ship to another country? Are they allowed to go back and forth?

I understand that it wouldnt look good if players did that often, but would he be allowed back?

As far as soccer goes, they submit a one-time switch to the new country.
jeffk
AG
J. Gonzalez not named to the Mexico preliminary WC roster. Whoops!
who?mikejones
AG
jeffk said:

J. Gonzalez not named to the Mexico preliminary WC roster. Whoops!

Same result
PatAg
AG
Pretty interesting that they got him to flip and then this happens.
Rudyjax
AG
wangus12 said:

I know we shouldn't, but can we please call Landon Donovan up for one game so he can play with Pulisic

And give him a PK so he surpassed Dempsey?
LSU Baseball Fan
I want to see the LA Galaxy hire Jurgen Klinsmann so that he and Bob Bradley face off three times a year in MLS. Would be hilarious.

Plus he couldn't do much worse than Sigi is right now.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.