Potential Stadium Site in Austin

2,283 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Rongagin71
Furlock Bones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://medium.com/supporters-union/mls-in-austin-stadium-watch-butler-shores-7034a9ce66e5

I doubt very much this would happen. But, I would like a team here as long as it isn't located in Round Rock or Cedar Park.
Mike Elko
AG
Didn't the owner specifically say he wanted the stadium in/near the downtown area? Hard pass on Round Rock or Cedar Park. Ain't nobody got time for that.
Furlock Bones
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

Didn't the owner specifically say he wanted the stadium in/near the downtown area? Hard pass on Round Rock or Cedar Park. Ain't nobody got time for that.
that is correct which is one of the reasons i doubt the move actually happens.
AustinScubaAg
AG
I just can't see the city letting a stadium be built there. On top of that the traffic would be a nightmare. It would be similar to getting to ACL every game day.
Furlock Bones
AG
AustinScubaAg said:

I just can't see the city letting a stadium be built there. On top of that the traffic would be a nightmare. It would be similar to getting to ACL every game day.
no, no. i'm sure everyone will just bike to the matches and we have lots of bike lanes.
Aston94
AG
AustinScubaAg said:

Somehow, someway, major cities across America find a way to manage traffic for downtown stadiums. I am sure they could figure it out in Austin too.

ACL draws 75,000 per day to Zilker Park. At most I could see that stadium holding 25-30,000.

That being said, the idea of taking parks in Austin and making them a soccer stadium would be very entertaining show to watch from the sidelines. I see hippies from all over holding onto trees and crying about the loss of their beloved park.
MidTnAg
AG
AustinScubaAg said:

I believe that one of these days, a dome stadium may be built in the Austin area and become a great recruiting tool for the sips. Metropolitan areas do a lot of far reaching planning (years of planning) and may be planning for such a possibility several years from now.
AgGrad99
AG
One of the possible locations is 10414 McKalla Place. It's basically a block over from the Domain area.

I dont know how they would make the Traffic work, because it would be an absolute nightmare for weekday games, but that would be a very cool spot.

Here are the potential locations they released today:

http://cbsaustin.com/news/local/gallery/city-of-austin-releases-list-of-potential-sites-for-mls-stadium#photo-2
DeangeloVickers
AG
Downtown is such a mess with homeless and traffic and no space I don't know how you make that happen.

The old expo center makes sense
AgGrad99
AG
It does, but the only thing I hate about that, is that it's in the middle of nowhere, in an area that's not very appealing.

Attendance will be exponentially better if they can put it in an area where people can hit the restaurants/bars, and make an event of it.

If they stick it out there, no one will build along Decker. It will just be out there by itself, and the club will continually be fighting an uphill battle to get people to attend.

But I agree....space-wise, it makes total sense.
TXAggie2011
AG
Aston94 said:

AustinScubaAg said:

Somehow, someway, major cities across America find a way to manage traffic for downtown stadiums. I am sure they could figure it out in Austin too.

ACL draws 75,000 per day to Zilker Park. At most I could see that stadium holding 25-30,000.
Austin struggles with traffic. And its not just a management issue, its years of not developing the transit infrastructure backbone to handle the people coming in/out/moving within the downtown/SoCo/Zilker area.

I'm sure they'll come up with a way to manage it as well as they can given the infrastructure, but management can only go so far. I've been in some real traffic nightmares at stadiums around the country---sometimes traffic is just gonna suck.

I agree given the size of the crowds likely to show up, it won't be as terrible a proposition as is seen with some other events but I think it'll make for a frustrating coming and going from games.
Giggem
AG
Furlock Bones said:

AustinScubaAg said:

no, no. i'm sure everyone will just bike to the matches and we have lots of bike lanes.
yes and every day I see numerous cars driving IN those bike lanes like they're an extra lane for cars--no need to worry about killing someone when you're in a hurry because you're in a hurry
ColoradoMooseHerd
The infrastructure plan for Austin is working the way they want it too. People in Austin think if they make difficult to live there, then people won't want to come there. So instead of allowing improvements or mass transit systems, they say no to everything and prefer to struggle in traffic while people still want to move there.
Rongagin71
AG
Austin wants Amazon to locate but not so sure if soccer would be a good deal:
https://www.facebook.com/thetexasmonitor/posts/2152465958338925

And Colombus has filed suit to keep the team.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.