Houston Dynamo 2018 Season Thread

14,706 Views | 241 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Dre_00
Texaggie7nine
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'll hit you up first next game I'm looking to go.
7nine
fig96
AG
oh no said:

Bryan98 said:

Dynamo consistently being in the bottom half (third, even?) of the MLS in terms of player payroll.
Not bottom half or third, DFL man.

And this is my big issue with the Dynamo. You don't want to pay for an elite top tier talent, I can understand that, but you need something to draw in the more casual fan. At least spring for a mid tier USMNT type who's got real value in the league or pay the money to bring in some proven players who can really play.

When you're not a great team you need something that moves the needle, at least some name recognition or high quality players. It's not like we're just a few million behind everyone else because we aren't paying for that big name, we're at least 50% below average payroll compared to 75% of the league. There's a big difference between being economical and just being cheap.
AG@RICE
AG
I had Dynamo season tickets for many years, but I had to give them up a few years back. Even though the tickets weren't that expensive, the quality for the price wasn't worth it. Simply put, the in-stadium experience blows and is the worst in Houston. Even the Goal scoring song is super generic within the league:Woooo....ohhhhoooooo...lets gooooo.....[ fill in the random MLS team]. Absolutely nothing feels genuine in that stadium and I am certain the franchise is doomed. I once loved the Dynamo, but when they eventually become FC Baton Rouge I won't be surprised.

carl spacklers hat
Question for the board: If you are the Dynamo and have a chance to sign Fernando Torres, do you make that move? Total hit would be around $6MM.
Texaggie7nine
For how many years? For 3 sure
7nine
Dre_00
Nope.

I'd double that for Chicharito though. But he has no interest in MLS let alone Houston.
gig them
AG
We're starting to feel like a feeder team for South and Central American (i.e., not American or Mexican) talent

Solid strategy to keep the team in the black... less solid strategy for engaging the city of Houston
fig96
AG
So I had an interesting conversation with a former Dynamo player over the weekend, suffice to say he isn't thrilled with the team right now. Feels like the new management hasn't been especially inclusive of former players, doesn't feel that the GM was a great fit, agreed that payroll was an issue, and felt like the team was lacking an identity in general.

Short version: confirmed most of the things I've been feeling for a while now.
Bockaneer
AG
I was watching the Dallas Derby match and now it's standup comedy w random commercials instead of punchlines...
oh no
AG
Same here. Went to check in on the game it's stand up comedy.
Bockaneer
AG
ooof - 4-2 final
we lost El Capitan
Dre_00
fig96 said:

So I had an interesting conversation with a former Dynamo player over the weekend, suffice to say he isn't thrilled with the team right now. Feels like the new management hasn't been especially inclusive of former players, doesn't feel that the GM was a great fit, agreed that payroll was an issue, and felt like the team was lacking an identity in general.

Short version: confirmed most of the things I've been feeling for a while now.

Sounds about right. I've already made the decision to not renew until Canetti is no longer employed by the Dynamo. Go back and look at what has happened to this team under his watch. It is putrid. Houston has finished top 6 in MLS once since 2010. They are about to miss the playoffs for the 4th time in 5 seasons in a league where over half the teams make the playoffs.

They've really only had 1 good season under his watch along with 2 runs in the playoffs as a low seed and yet he still has a job. It's a joke.
H_Aggie
How fitting the dynamo play on the kube goes out before halftime who is running things over there ?
gig them
AG
Bockaneer said:

I was watching the Dallas Derby match and now it's standup comedy w random commercials instead of punchlines...

There's a metaphor here. I just know it.
PJYoung
AG
Dre_00
Wooooooooooo!
gig them
AG
YEAHHHHH
H_Aggie
Way to go! Whose going to Mexico for the champions league gonna try to make it!
Texaggie7nine
Finally something to cheer about
7nine
PJYoung
AG
I never expected to take a 3-0 result last night.

Fun times.
Texaggie7nine
Can't say Cabrera has an inspiring personality.

https://www.facebook.com/houstondynamo/videos/2315537215346095/
7nine
jeffk
AG
I hope the club remembers what to do with trophies.
Juan Solo
AG
Would playing in CONCACAF Champions put pressure to actually spend money on salary next year?
carl spacklers hat
No
Out in Left Field
AG
What a comeback!

3-2 win
Dre_00
Chris Canetti leaving the team to join the Houston 2026 WC bid.

I'd like to thank Chris for teaching me that if you piggy back on other people's accomplishments for 5 years, you can milk another 8 out of your employer before they realize you don't know what you're doing.
gig them
AG
When I heard, I rushed to this thread specifically for this reaction.

I was not disappointed.
jeffk
AG
T&P for the city's bid after they see the cheap-ass proposal CC will throw together.
Texaggie7nine
Great comeback win to kick the Galaxy out of the playoffs.
7nine
gig them
AG
They've given us plenty of pain over the years. Nice to return the favor.
Texaggie7nine
MD Anderson now the new Jersey sponsor.
7nine
gig them
AG
I'm not gonna start the new thread, because we win hardware when Dre does it. It's unimpeachable science.

Anyways, here's a list of who we protected in the upcoming expansion draft

Quote:

Houston Dynamo Protected Players:

MF Juan David Cabezas
MF Darwin Cern
DF A.J. DeLaGarza
FW Alberth Elis
DF Alejandro Fuyenmayor
DF Adam Lundkvist
FW Mauro Manotas
MF Toms Martnez
FW Ronaldo Pea
FW Romell Quioto
GK Joe Willis

Additionally, goalkeeper Tyler Deric, defender Erik McCue and midfielder Memo Rodriguez are classified as Homegrown Players and are not eligible for selection, and therefore did not have to be included on the list of protected players.

FC Cincinnati may select up to five players from the eligible MLS player pool in Tuesday's draft. Only a single player can be drafted from any one club. The five teams who had players selected by the Los Angeles Football Club during the 2017 MLS Expansion Draft are exempt from the 2018 Expansion Draft. Those clubs are Seattle Sounders FC, Sporting Kansas City, the San Jose Earthquakes, Columbus Crew SC and Toronto FC.
Dre_00
Noted

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.