World Cup 2018 - who are you supporting?

1,933 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Mike Elko
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The draw thread got me interested in reading up on some of the groups and teams we'll see this summer in russia. Just interested in seeing which teams you guys will be pulling for.

Personally, I'm excited to see Germany dominate again, but I'm also hoping a few dark horse teams step up and make a nice run. Egypt is the team I'll be rooting for to make that happen. Also, while I typically enjoy seeing England crash and burn, they have some fun young talent and I expect them to at least get to the round of 16 this tournament.

Here's a short quiz if you want to randomly get a team assigned to you:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/world-cup-quiz/
LeonardSkinner
Fivethirtyeight.com, wrong again.
Hand Of God
AG
Iceland
gambochaman
AG
Spain and Argentina
moneyag7
As a completely neutral fan I have too many rooting options to choose one. I'll break it down by groups just so I can hear myself talk while the girlfriend puts up Christmas decorations.

Group A: Egypt. I want to see a James Rodriguez type performance out of Mo Salah. I also just want them to make it out of the groups. I think Uruguay and Egypt advance.

Group B: Iran. I have no faith in Iran making it out of the group but I think they provide an interesting defensively sound, counter attacking style. This style could provide problems for the older Spain defensive line, or the Portugal B team that looked weak against the USA last month. I think Spain and Portugal advance.

Group C: France. I'm praying that the young France team lives up to the hype. I'm so excited to see what they can do in this tournament. I'm also rooting for Eriksen to have a great tournament. I think France and Denmark advance.

Group D: Iceland. I have absolutely no clue what is going to happen in this group but it is going to be mayhem and I'm excited for it. Iceland is the obvious fan favorite but I also want to see Messi dominate in his last World Cup. I think Argentina and Nigeria advance but could easily see Croatia edging out Nigeria.

Group E: Brazil. I want to see Neymar do well in this tournament so I will root for the obvious group favorite here. It will be interesting to see how Costa Rica can manage to CONCACAF this group.I think Brazil and Switzerland advance.

Group F: Sweden. I really want to see Zlatan come back and play this summer. I also just really want Sweden to succeed because that means that Mexico doesn't advance. This group runner up will come down to the last match day when Mexico and Sweden face off. Goal differential could be a massive factor in this group. I think Germany and Mexico advance.

Group G: England. As a Tottenham fan, I want England to finally live up to the hype that their team puts off. The goalie competition will be interesting to see before the World Cup. I think Belgium and England advance.

Group H: Senegal. I will always root or an underdog when I can. This group is wide open and will be equally as fun as Group D. I think Poland advance. I still have no clue who goes through as runner-up.

Apart from absolute chaos happening, I want to see the French and English teams live up to the hype. I would also love for Messi to finally shut everyone up and win a World Cup. I hate when people say he can't be the best without a win so I just want him to shut everyone up.
jeffk
AG
aggie kid said:

Yeah, they gave me Russia. F that.
Aston94
AG
Too soon, still hate international soccer.

Damn you Bruce Arena!!!!Damn you!!!!!!
LeonardSkinner
jeffk said:

aggie kid said:

Yeah, they gave me Russia. F that.

Hell, they gave me El Tri.
OregonAggie
AG
Argentina and all of concacaf

Except for the Mexicans. **** those putos
byfLuger41
AG
Alemanni

Always have, always will.
2017 World Series Champions - Houston Astros
aarjon
El Tri and Les Bleus!
Also watching Peru, hope they can qualify and suppose some teams in the knockout stage.
jeffk
AG
There's a chance we won't have a US coach by then, so you can think of the WC as one huge job interview if that helps.
who?mikejones
AG
Brazil because my other half is Brazilian
These are my people, Americans.
Mathguy64
AG
France. Because they look to be highly entertaining and attacking. And they have a decent chance.
Iceland. Just to pick a little guy that has no real chance.

**** CONCACAF. I'm actively rooting for them to collectively go 0-0-9
538 tells me Peru.

I'm rooting for Germany - they remind me of the mid '90s Nebraska football teams.

Colombia - I have a co-worker from there and it's fun to talk soccer with him.

South Korea - I've loved them since '02.
ryan_m
Belgium wins the world cup. Heard it from me first
Mathguy64
AG
ryan_m said:

I doubt it. If the chalk holds Belgium gets Brazil in the QF. Besides that Roberto Martinez is an idiot.
ryan_m
mathguy86 said:

ryan_m said:

I doubt it. If the chalk holds Belgium gets Brazil in the QF. Besides that Roberto Martinez is an idiot.
You could put any coach out there and they'd still win. That's how good Belgium is.
Pet Sounds
AG
Going for El Tri followed by all New World teams.
AGC
AG
Spain. Will be hard cheering for Llorard Pique but I'll live.
AGC
AG
gambochaman said:

Spain and Argentina

Good luck. Messi will break down from all his minutes in the spring.
jeffk
AG
ryan_m said:

mathguy86 said:

ryan_m said:

You could put any coach out there and they'd still win. That's how good Belgium is.

Lukaku, that you?!
PatAg
AG
Got South Korea but with USA and Netherlands out, I'll be rooting for Germany.
who?mikejones
AG
ryan_m said:

mathguy86 said:

ryan_m said:

Thanks for the laughs.
These are my people, Americans.
ChipFTAC01
AG
England. Wife is English, my kids are half English.
TXCityAggie
AG
The quiz gave me Iran.

I'll be pulling for Colombia.
randy828
AG
Brazil. My wife is a Carioca and my son has dual citizenship.
jeffk
AG
Cool! He can play for the USMNT along with Ronaldo's kids.
AggieRob93
AG
USA. Wait, they didn't make it?

Then Ireland. Wait, they didn't make it?

Scotland. Wait, they didn't make it?

Iceland then. Yes, Iceland. But zee Germans will win it.
jeffk
AG
So Russia just had their olympic teams banned from the Winter Games for doping. The WC should be fun...
Mathguy64
AG
jeffk said:

So Russia just had their olympic teams banned from the Winter Games for doping. The WC should be fun...

I think they really just banned the Russian Olympic group. The athletes get to compete under the Olympic flag and wearing an Olympic uniform. Which of course will be designed by Nike.

Ok. I just made that last part up. But it would be par for the course.
Old School Rucking
AG
1 said:

I'm rooting for Germany - they remind me of the mid '90s Nebraska football teams.

You really think half the guys on the Germany squad will be serving time ten years from now.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, I saw that. Also saw Putin say it'd be a disgrace for Russians to compete under the IOC flag, I'm guessing there won't be many willing to cross him on that.
Mathguy64
AG
Agreed. About the only worse person to cross would be Rocket Man.
bagger05
AG
I'd love to see England play well. As an Aggie I feel a kindred spirit with these underachievers.

Or I'd love to see Messi get a World Cup title.

I'd like to see Mexico go o-fer because eff Mexican soccer.

Just give me a tournament with lots of goals and minimal diving and I'll be thrilled.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.