espnfc.com

2,187 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by akm91
JJxvi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ugh, ESPN decided to reintegrate their soccer site back into the main espn.com format. Jesus I hate espn.com. I wish they would change the rest of the site to be more like ESPNFC was than go back to this garbage.
wangus12
AG
It wasn't like that this morning
akm91
AG
What don't you like about espn.com?
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
JJxvi
AG
Its bad at displaying information I want to see, and its bad at letting me navigate to where I can see that info. Its a cluttered mess. It has a navigation bar with 32 different options, only 6 of which seem to be actually displayed. Its got widgets and bull**** on the entire left side of the page that I never ever look at. I get only one story, that I can easily see...the main one that takes up the middle of the page. The only other news items I can easily take in are 5 or 6 "Top headlines" on the upper right. After that I have to scroll way down the page for stories to see one by one. ESPNFC had a MUCH more appealing grid pattern that showed me a ton of stuff quickly and easily. I mean both had drawbacks, but something about ESPN.com makes me feel almost anxious in a way that espnfc never did. I was waiting for that format to spread, not be killed off.
AG@RICE
AG
I still type "soccernet.com" to get the ESPN Soccer page. Am I the only one who still does that?
akm91
AG
Probably did it for a few reasons:

1. Bring to same domain to increase traffic in order to sell ads at higher rate
2. Standardize the branding (espnfc.us was probably run by another party)
3. Single platform to support (ties into #2)

I think the main gripe is espnfc had crisper color scheme and less cluttered top nav. Other than that, the Headlines module existed on the right hand rail on espnfc as well as the main story taking up most of the viewable screen which forces you to scroll to find other stories.

I agree the grid layout below the fold was nice since it clearly categorized but I don't usually scroll that far down but rather I use the navigation.
wangus12
AG
Nope. Thats how mine is immediately pulled up in the browser bar
akm91
AG
AG@RICE said:

I still type "soccernet.com" to get the ESPN Soccer page. Am I the only one who still does that?

Holy redirects Batman!!!!!
eiggA2002
AG
If you are going to ESPN for your soccer information, you're doing it wrong
gig them
AG
Nothing but Guardian coverage for me for five years running. Use it for everything but the MLS.

And for MLS coverage, I've found the MLS site itself (and associated team sites) to be more than passable.
AG@RICE said:

The first soccer site I ever saw. After U.S./PORTUGAL '02.
Pet Sounds
AG
Was pretty bummed out to discover that also. Loved the ESPNFC soccer app too but o well...
akm91
AG
stale content right now. Articles listed under headlines are dated from Nov.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.