*****Official Match Thread Friendly Vs. Portugal*****

2,297 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by tysker
moneyag7
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Whether you're ready for it or not, the USMNT are already on the pitch again.
The team takes on the current European champions and third rank team in the world in a friendly to close out the year.

Match Information.
2:30 CST
Leiria, Portugal (Proceeds are benefiting the victims of the wildfire Portugal had a little while ago)
Can be seen on FS1, FSGO, UNIMAS, UND

boogieman
AG
The youth movement begins!
jeffk
AG
Please give me something to feel positively about!
moneyag7
LMAO. Fox has Bruce Arena on doing some pregame. I hate everything all over again.
moneyag7
In case anyone is wondering what the stadium looks like
boogieman
AG
Jeez. I feel like we loaned Portugal or red alternate uni's. Great job nike!
oh no
AG
not watching now.. recording at home.. but sounds like USA youngsters already got off some shots in the first few minutes.
moneyag7
Watching is just going to make you angry at Bruce and the old players. This team has come out with double the effort and energy.
jeffk
AG
This is just making me hate Arena and the old guard USMNT players more and more.
boogieman
AG
moneyag7 said:

Watching is just going to make you angry at Bruce and the old players. This team has come out with double the effort and energy.
Yup. There's been better link of play and great energy from these guys.
oh no
AG
this actually makes me want to watch even more. something to be excited about for the future.
carl spacklers hat
Smooth finish by McKennie! 1-0 good guys!!!
moneyag7
GOALLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WESTON!!!!!!!!
akm91
AG
carl spacklers hat said:

Smooth finish by McKennie! 1-0 good guys!!!
Holy cow!
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
boogieman
AG
GOOOOOOOOAAAAAALALLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111
boogieman
AG
t&p for the keeper's ankles.
moneyag7
EVERYTHING IS AMAZING. THIS IS GREAT. SEE YALL IN RUSS.... oh yeah.
jeffk
AG
2022 World Cup Champions.
moneyag7
And Horvath just lost his future with the national team
boogieman
AG
Oh no Horvath! lol
moneyag7
1-1. Horvath dove down for a ball right at him. Goes in between his legs for a goal. I *think* that is pretty much it for him with the good competition of goalie we have right now
moneyag7
Hamid is warming up. Probably would have seen this change at halftime anyways
moneyag7
Well Brooks scores on a corner but Miazga fouled someone in the box before Brooks scores
wangus12
AG
Went down easy too
wangus12
AG
Wait did they just say Bruce Arena is breaking down the half?
moneyag7
I know he was on before and has a spot after the game. I've been muting the TV when I see him on.
boogieman
AG
Ugh. Want to punch Bruce's ugly mug.
moneyag7
Lalas just said it's unfair to compare the energy levels of this team and the WCQ team... what?

The WCQ team needed a tie at Trinidad.
This team is playing for the possibility of a spot on the World Cup team that is 5 years away...

That may have been the dumbest thing I've heard Lalas say and I don't like him at all.
oh no
AG
moneyag7 said:

That may have been the dumbest thing I've heard Lalas say
wow... considering how many dumb things he's said and how dumb many of them were
moneyag7
Hamid comes on for Horvath (predetermined move)
CCV comes on for Brooks

Brooks looked good.
Horvath did not look good.
moneyag7
Beto just had a wonderful save on an Adam's header
moneyag7
Weston just had a header off a corner hit the cross bar. We've controlled this half so far
Kampfers
AG
moneyag7 said:

Lalas just said it's unfair to compare the energy levels of this team and the WCQ team... what?

The WCQ team needed a tie at Trinidad.
This team is playing for the possibility of a spot on the World Cup team that is 5 years away...

That may have been the dumbest thing I've heard Lalas say and I don't like him at all.
I don't think that's a dumb statement at all...

Of course playing a bunch of young guns looking to break out will result in a high energy level, particularly against a team that is also breaking in a lot of new players and thus doesn't necessarily hold good defensive shape

Meanwhile, in the WCQ, we rolled out the exact same starting XI that had just gone 90 minutes in midweek in Florida's heat and humidity. We played a team that was determined to drop deep, deny us space, and force us to break them down, rather than one that was willing to go out and engage like Portugal (which affords us more space). We also played one of the few teams that can match us with regards to athleticism (and proceeded to play one of our slowest possible backline pairings). And every team in CONCACAF is going to play a little harder when they match up against the US or Mexico. Add that all up and it's not a wonder the "energy level" looks higher tonight. When you can actually have a midfield battle, rather than simply pass the ball around 10-12 people who are packed in around the box, it's rather easy to look "active".

Several weeks later, I still fail to see this narrative that a bunch of keyboard warriors keep pressing about how our players "didn't care" or "didn't try". What a bunch of bull**** from people who think we are entitled to the World Cup. We aren't even close to the best team staying home. It's not an acceptable result by any means, but I've lost a lot more respect for the fans of US Soccer (not that a whole ton existed for anonymous internet strangers to begin with) than I have for the players.

Thunder18
AG
US pretty unlucky not to have gotten a 2nd goal the last few minutes, 2 good saves and 1 off the crossbar
moneyag7
Hamid gets a save on his first touch
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.