Thanks to Italy, US won't be the most talked about nation missing the WC in 2018

3,641 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by spaceman
Pahdz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I don't get this, aren't all clubs in break at that point, and MLS is the only league in season?

You're arguing like you own a club or something.
moneyag7
You didn't know that I own a third league English team?
TheMasterplan
Australia made it against Honduras.

Honduras was terrible in both matches...really bugs me even more now. They beat Mexico or Costa Rica (cant remember now) at home though and we didn't so really it's our own doing.

Bruce Arena can suck a fat one.
Pelayo
AG
akm91 said:

Quote:

Four-time world champions Italy will miss Russia 2018 after Gian Piero Ventura's team failed to score in two legs against Sweden, enabling the Scandinavians to qualify for next summer's tournament with a 1-0 aggregate playoff victory.
At least for many US fans. Italy has not missed a WC since 1958.

Italy flames out

Love it
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
HHH 95
AG
US should just invite Chile, Netherlands, and Italy and just have a round-robin of six friendlies over a 10-day time period. Nothing big, don't keep standings, no playoff game. But it would be a chance for the four teams to get some playing time for their 2022 player pools.
MidTnAg
AG
I think that would draw a lot of interest.
It would be extremely unusual.
It would definitely be a first.
Good experience for the future for the USA and the other three teams.
expresswrittenconsent
Media already calling it the "world crap" and "soccer nit". I definitely don't see it happening as any kind of tourney but maybe some round robin friendlies as suggested above.
spaceman
AG
I am all for it - either tournament or friendlies. Who gives a flying flip what the press calls it?

Sure, there will be some jeers "Hey look at all the teams that weren't good enough to make the World Cup", but I don't see how anyone can call this "sour grapes" by the U.S, or "take our ball and go home" or whatever. That's just stupid. It's not what it is, and no one would see it that way, unless they have an axe to grind. And again, who cares what anyone says? Let's just play some futbol!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.