Story Poster
Texas A&M Soccer

Lost Lettermen

October 25, 2017

In 1981, Aggie men's soccer was a varsity team and a force in the Southwest Conference. And then it wasn't. Dropped back to club status after just one season, the '81 squad's place in Texas A&M history is still an enigma. This is their story.
Discussion from...

Lost Lettermen

22,292 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by CDub06
PJYoung
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
One of the best things you guys have done.

Excellent.
neutics
AG
As a former D1 men's soccer player, I'm sad to see the sport's demise on the men's side but blame Title IX more than anything. Some would argue that US soccer has suffered due to the college soccer system vs. clubs.

Regardless, very well done and wish these good Ags get the recognition they deserve.
Mike Elko
AG
Unfortunate story, but very well told. Having men's soccer during my years in Aggieland would've been awesome. Thanks, Jackie.
mvfoarde
#Give'emtheirletter #Gig'emtheirletter ~ Mike Foarde '87
mvfoarde87
randy828
AG
Gig'em! Great documentary. What could have been.
Cotton79
AG
Hell'uva story. Thanks, Gabe, for the inspiration, and thanks to Brandon for putting the necessary horsepower together in getting this story out there. Gig'em, Aggies!
nbbob
My son played club soccer and was quite good. However, the scholarship opportunities were far and few between. Thanks Title IX.
NoahAg
Not recognized as lettermen? That's crap. Needs to be rectified.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
See my discussion of this team tieing SMU on the non premium Soccer forum. SMU needed a win to boost it's record to get into the NCAA playoffs. A tie hurt that record. Although the game was supposed to be settled in regular time, A&M agreed to the overtime . SMU won by one in overtime and made the playoffs.

2 of the girls on the Womens team transferred to North Carolina and were starters on 3 NCAA championship teams !
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
planoaggie123
AG
Great production. Very interesting. A friend of my family's growing up played on the A&M club. I think he could have played intercollegiate but always wanted to go to A&M.

As for this story....it is 100% a shame that to this day they have not been recognized as lettermen. Could it really be that hard for the University to do? Is there a stipulation to becoming a letterman that they are missing?
kdenton
I remember the following year playing on the team and the day Coach Franco came to practice and told us we would not be a varsity team. We had been practicing all summer in grueling 2 a days in the hot Texas summer. It was really disappointing. He had assembled a lot of good players from Texas and international students. I am sure we would have competed at a high level and built on the previous years team. To say it was about budget and money is a lie. I don't know what Coach Franco's salary was, but it wasn't much. Most of the players would have used their own money to get to games. All we needed was a place to play. I remember having to practice out in a field as they kicked us off the drill field. Guys tried to continue as a club but it was hard with no coach and no place to play.

Can't understand why no letters were given to the guys the year before. It was a legitimate team with some great athletes and they deserve the letter.
CDub06
AG
Bump because I somehow missed this. Man, what a disappointing story. I had no idea of the history here.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.