Claudio Reyna: Culture of arrogance within American soccer

1,611 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by gig them
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He doesn't hold back.
Quote:

"I don't think we have the behaviors in how we treat the sport in this country. There's a lack of humility, there's a lack of modesty with how we approach the sport here. You go to Germany, Spain and I've had the privilege of living abroad for 13 years and traveling the world all the time from people on how to be a better sporting director, how to be a better coach, how do academy coaches work and the one thing you see is that there's much more humility in the work. You go to speak to a U14, U15 coach at FC Barcelona and they want to learn more from you than you from them. If you go to the local clubs anywhere in the country and the U14, U15 coach, youth technical director and they have all the answers. They tend to be arrogant, they don't want to listen, they don't realize what they're doing isn't right."

Lots more...

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/claudio-reyna-culture-of-arrogance-within-american-soccer-66217/
jeffk
AG
That sums up a lot of my dealings with the academy coaches and higher level club coaches I've dealt with over the years around Texas. It's a pissing match when it comes to licensing and coaches education courses.
akm91
AG
I think overall it boils down to lack of "competitive pressure" across USA's soccer environment.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
jeffk
AG
That's part of it, but it doesn't quite explain how unwilling most "elite" American club coaches have been to engage in learning and sharing of ideas with those they view as their inferiors. If anything, you'd think a lack of threat of competitiveness would make them MORE open to share and educate than their European counterparts.
deadbq03
AG
It's shocking to hear that coaches of entitled rich kids who can afford to pay to play would also feel arrogant and entitled. Shocking.
PatAg
AG
It's kind of a standard thing. At first everyone is really eager and open to learn from the best. Then we start having a taste of success and progress, and instead of keeping that openness and willingness to learn, you start to think you have all the answers.

We basically went through our teenage years as a national program. Now is when we decide if we want to move forward in life, or work at mcdonalds and live in our parents basement.
gig them
AG
PatAg said:

It's kind of a standard thing. At first everyone is really eager and open to learn from the best. Then we start having a taste of success and progress, and instead of keeping that openness and willingness to learn, you start to think you have all the answers.

We basically went through our teenage years as a national program. Now is when we decide if we want to move forward in life, or work at mcdonalds and live in our parents basement.

I'm not sure where we're going in 2022, but that call has been made for 2018.

Grab a basement couch and chase some rats.
OregonAggie
AG
PatAg said:

This seems like a very appropriate analogy.
FCBlitz
Seems like the arrogant trainers are just trying to hold on to making some real money. They latch onto a region that is willing to pay $100k for them to be a director they go into Mafia mode.

I once had a Tech Director chase me down after a soccer theme birthday party and cuss me out in front of my kids for claiming I was taking food off his table. Kids were leaving the club team and coming to my team.....btw was in the same club.

I left the club after that season
AgGrad99
AG
While I dont necessarily disagree with him, I think there are several factors at play he's ignoring.

1. It's the system we have that creates those type of coaches. Maybe if the players' families didnt have to pay so dang much, you wouldnt have so many entitled people involved from the ground up. In most countries, the players aren't funding the academies. This does two things: It takes the influence of the parents out of the equation (they cant influence the coach..or even who they have for a coach). Secondly, In our system, the coaches are the highest on the tier. In the system he compares us to, the coaches need to keep working to impress those above them who are paying them (and who would determine if they move up or not in the ranks). So he's seeing a different type of attitude.

2. In a lot of countries, it's similar to American Football here. It's the way out, or it's simply a career. There is a big incentive to move up the ranks. Most coaches in the academies here are either very young, coaching 5-6 teams or have a 'real' job in addition to coaching. Whereas you look at a High School coach, and that's their primary job, and their career aspiration.

3. Continuing with that example (football in America)...there are a lot of successful high school coaches who aren't going to a clinic to learn a system, or pick the brain of a football player, because they think they know all the answers. It's more networking and 'big timing' everyone else. But on any given weekend, at a football clinic, it will be filled with hungry coaches trying to learn and gain some sort of advantage. You see coaches in the off season get together, pick other coaches brains, visit college clinics, etc. So he's experiencing those type of coaches, rather than maybe some of the higher tier that aren't picking his brain.

In my opinion, the key, is necessity. The academy or youth coaches dont necessarily 'need' to put in the extreme effort you might see in most other parts of the world.
jeffk
AG
Very well-stated. It was always amazing for me to see the willingness of American HS football coaches to talk shop with anyone - even their opponents - at the drop of a hat then turn around and get shut-down AT A COACHING CLINIC by a big-time soccer club coach when asking for a little bit of advice or help with a technical/tactical question.
AgGrad99
AG
Yeah...and it's not that he's wrong.

It's not that we simply have a different type of attitude here. It's just a result of the way it's set up here.

It's hard to complain, because I'm happy we seem to finally have a blossoming academy system now. And I hope the attitude he describes gets weeded out, the higher the players go through the system. But if I could snap my fingers and change it, i would.
gig them
AG

Interesting counter-argument. I'm a bit surprised to hear it, but it's a nice balance to the "pro/rel will fixing literally everything" bloc
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.