Who do you want to see for the November Portugal Friendly?

1,652 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by MB19
akm91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I guess friendlies are all we have to look forward to for the next year and half. No chance to cap tie CCV or Jonathan Gonzales until 2019.

I'd like to see the following non-MLS players on the squad:

GK: Horvath
D: Miyazga, CCV, Yedlin, Brooks (if healthy), Olosunde, Villafana
M: Pulisic, McKennie, Hyndman, Gooch, Gonzales, Saief (if healthy)
F: Wright, Kiessewetter, Johannsson, Wood

Not sure about the MLS guys with the playoff situation so didn't include the following:
G: Gonzales
D: EPB, Glad
M: Adams, Acosta, Rowe, Arriola
F: Dwyer

I didn't include the U-17 stars (Sargent, Weah, Carleton) since not sure how deep the team will go. The finals are on 10/28 which is only 2 weeks away from the friendly.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
who?mikejones
AG
Too soon
oh no
AG
I understand that because it's a friendly, CCV would still not be cap tied with an appearance with the USMNT senior team, but doesn't it get him closer or make it harder for him to one day apply to switch and play for England if he wants to?
Out in Left Field
AG
Wondo
Wondo Wondo Wondo Wondo
Wondo Wondo Wondo
Wondo Wondo
Wondo
akm91
AG
Totally agree! I guess it would be hard to convince Jonathan Gonzales to fly in from Mexico for a friendly but wouldn't hurt to do some back channel discussions to let him know we're very interested.
jeffk
AG
Out in Left Field said:

Wondo
Wondo Wondo Wondo Wondo
Wondo Wondo Wondo
Wondo Wondo
Wondo

I read this to the tune of Super Mario Bros. dungeon music.
ScottishFire
AG
Ronaldo
"No one cuts me with impunity."
birdman
EFFORT
Smokedraw01
None of the U-17s. They are too young and we don't know how they would play against grown men. No need to run them out there to get embarrassed.

Jonathan Gonzalez is the kid we need to take a look at.
TheMasterplan
Is Caleb Stanko still an option?

What about Danny Williams?
Dre_00
Interesting article proposing a roster for Portugal. The writer assumes that Ramos is named interim head coach.

http://americansoccernow.com/articles/new-look-roster-thoughts-24-names-for-november

akm91
AG
ESPN did one as well:
ESPN Portugal Roster

FourFourTwo.com has one as well:
4-4-2

Dre_00
Tangentially related, Bill Hamid is moving to Denmark and signing for FC Midtjylland after his contract runs out this December. I don't think Denmark is much better (if any better) than MLS but it's a good move if he gets the starting job as good performances should open more doors.

FWIW, the Danish league doesn't directly send any team to the group stage of either the Champions League or Europa League.
moneyag7
akm91 said:

ESPN did one as well:
ESPN Portugal Roster

FourFourTwo.com has one as well:
4-4-2

Can't count on Morris, Adam, Trapp, Vincent due to MLS Playoffs.
Mathguy64
AG
moneyag7 said:

And that's #27 on the list of things that is messed up with US Soccer. I know they won't, but they should match the international break schedule.
gig them
AG
mathguy86 said:

moneyag7 said:

And that's #27 on the list of things that is messed up with US Soccer. I know they won't, but they should match the international break schedule.

I've always disliked that about the MLS. Domestically, our most important games are railroaded by the NFL and CFB, and internationally we're operating on a schedule that's disjointed from the rest of the world.
AggieWonWon
The danish league is better that the mls.

Fc Copenhagen is a well established European squad.
jeffdjohnson
Landon Donovan and Clint Dempsey. One last ride.
tysker
AG
Brad Friedel
Anthony Sanneh
Eddie Pope
Jeff Agoos
Frankie Hejduk
Earnie Stewart
John O'Brien
Pablo Mastroeni
DaMarcus Beasley
Brian McBride
Landon Donovan

oh no
AG
Does Liga MX end of season or playoffs also conflict with this International window or just MLS? (Arriloa, Villafana, Gil, etc.)

Other player pool choices in Europe; not sure how development is going::: Miazga? Ream? Danny Williams? Gooch? Zelalem? Gyau? Julian Green? Kitchen? Johannsson? Terrence Boyd? Cropper? Keisewetter? Shane O'Neill? Desevio Payne? Mario Rodriguez?

A few MLS players in the pool that are young(ish) and have a very low or 0% chance of being impacted by playoffs: Dom Dwyer, Hamid, Jesse Gonzelez, Agudelo, Kellyn Acosta, Matt Hedges, Zimmerman, Kelyn Rowe, Birnbaum, Sapong, Serna, Danny Acosta, how's Lletget's recovery coming along?

Some others from the U-20 pool like Sargent ready yet?
aggiesoccer#1fan
AG
The Danish league is better than MLS? Based on what? Quality of play? Player development?

I'm sure you're aware that FC Kobenhavn is a merger of older clubs. However established it is now is of little relevance to Midtjylland, whose primary claim to fame is kicking LVG's Man U in the shin.

I lived in Denmark, but I don't share your view of the league. Neither does UEFA, who ranks the Superliga at #17 for its Champions League performances, just above the mighty Cypriot First Division.

MLS is clearly not on par with the best leagues in Europe, but just because a league happens to be in Europe doesn't mean it's necessarily better than MLS.
akm91
AG
Quote:

Some others from the U-20 pool like Sargent ready yet?
Sargent is in the U-17 pool. He played up with the U-20's. The U-17's look to be really loaded with talent. To me the standout players have been: Sargent (soon Werder Bremen), Weah (PSG), Carleton (Atlanta), Akinola (Toronto), Durkin (DC), Goslin (Atlanta) and Dest (Ajax).
OregonAggie
AG
tysker said:

Brad Friedel
Anthony Sanneh
Eddie Pope
Jeff Agoos
Frankie Hejduk
Earnie Stewart
John O'Brien
Pablo Mastroeni
DaMarcus Beasley
Brian McBride
Landon Donovan

No Wondo?

This list is trash
akm91
AG
Here's another list.....

List from Goal.com
Dre_00
Based strictly on his performance against Atlanta United, Zach Steffen is more than ready for a shot at the full team.
MB19
AG
Dre_00 said:

Based strictly on his performance against Atlanta United, Zach Steffen is more than ready for a shot at the full team.
He was money tonight. He saved the Crew! (to coin a bad pun amid the speculation they might relocate to Austin)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.