MLS coming to Austin (Possibly)

5,694 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AustinAg2012
who?mikejones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Apparently the old AAS building is a potential site
ChipFTAC01
AG
I rhino the Wrong Center is being torn down for a new med school on campus.
TXAggie2011
AG
I couldn't recall if they had plans for that space, but it makes sense the Dell Medical Center will move into that space.

The AAS building would be a neat location; but damn traffic will suck.
CapCityAg89
AG
Maybe a dumb question, but what about DKR for MLS matches; then a smaller, suburban complex for practice and US Cup-sized matches? This is the Sounders here in Seattle, albeit at an NFL stadium.
Out in Left Field
AG
CapCityAg89 said:

Maybe a dumb question, but what about DKR for MLS matches; then a smaller, suburban complex for practice and US Cup-sized matches? This is the Sounders here in Seattle, albeit at an NFL stadium.

Are there enough suites to sell for the owners to make their $Texas ?
moneyag7
CapCityAg89 said:

I'm obviously not informed on all of the decisions but I came up with these real quick
1. Turf
2. Width of the soccer field may not fit
3. I doubt UT wants to paint soccer stripes on their turf
CapCityAg89
AG
moneyag7 said:

CapCityAg89 said:

I'm obviously not informed on all of the decisions but I came up with these real quick
1. Turf
2. Width of the soccer field may not fit
3. I doubt UT wants to paint soccer stripes on their turf
I'm not sure about any of those. Is Texas field turf?! WTH. Yes - that's a problem. C-Link gets swapped from Sounders on Saturday to Seahawks on Sunday without any issue.
aggiesoccer#1fan
AG
How about the Longhorns' soccer stadium instead? I think the seating capacity is similar to most soccer-specific MLS stadiums.
TXAggie2011
AG
aggiesoccer#1fan said:

How about the Longhorns' soccer stadium instead? I think the seating capacity is similar to most soccer-specific MLS stadiums.

It'd be an okay temporary facility, but see page 1. Myers Stadium is a track stadium that they play soccer in. You cannot get rid of the track, nor is the stadium particularly nice.

Having something on campus and some sort of deal for students might give the team a nice boost, however.
Terk
AG
moneyag7 said:

According to Grant Wahl and Massive Report, the owner of Columbus Crew is set to move the team to Austin starting in 2019 if the team does not get a new downtown stadium built in Columbus.

AgGrad99
AG
I would LOVE a team in Austin. I think Austin, and it's demo, would gain a following similar to Seattle. But until something actually happens, Im convinced this is a ploy by the owner to get a new stadium in Columbus.

That said, with regards to an Austin location...

The old AAS site would be a great location aesthetics-wise, but like someone else said, the traffic would be an absolute nightmare, and likely prevent most people (who aren't already in the downtown area), from getting season tickets.

What about the East side, near the Riverside Golf course (maybe just north of it by the disc golf park)?

Or...near 290 and 183 (somewhere near Decker lane)? Easy access to 130 and 183, and 290 comes right out of downtown.

There is ample room up and down 130, though I know the MLS want's the stadiums closer to the city center.

I wish the could locate it somewhere off 360...that would be a destination location. But I realize the $$ and environmentalists would prevent that from happening (not to mention the traffic issue again).

fig96
AG
AgGrad99 said:

I wish the could locate it somewhere off 360...that would be a destination location. But I realize the $$ and environmentalists would prevent that from happening (not to mention the traffic issue again).
When I first moved here I was so confused when I hit my first light on 360. "But it's a highway?!" That would be a really cool location but yeah, nightmare access-wise.

I feel like somewhere in east Austin or maybe just north of town would be the best options. Putting it father out of town (northwest) would probably be the best option access and space wise but would get away from the whole idea of a team in the city center.
FCBlitz
USL teams make no money and go near bankrupt if they make the playoffs. These teams have no cash and barter just about everything to get services rendered and rely on college kids to work 80 hours a week for free.

I know there have been a few USL teams that made the leap to the MLS But Mostky there are not cities with abunch of lower tiered teams that exist and can be looked at to move up.

Thunder18
AG
Lost in all of this conversation...does this mean that presumably Colombus will no longer be a site for USMNT games? To me, that would be a big loss as we generally have much better US support tbere compared to games in Cali, NY, NE, etc...
AgGrad99
AG
Maybe they'll now be in Austin

That.Would.Be.Awesome
fig96
AG
I don't know that that's ever really been a consideration? (Local MLS team for hosting)

We've played games in Nashville, Tampa, Cleveland, and San Diego among other non-MLS cities.
Thunder18
AG
Good point
nereus
AG
Stadiums without full time tenants tend to fall into disrepair pretty quickly. Unless they get another tenant who can afford to maintain it, I would guess it won't host national team games for long. FC Cincinnati has a plan for a new stadium contingent on becoming a MLS team so they could play there potentially. That might be able to draw similar US support there. You could also look at potentially playing in a different venue in Columbus like Ohio Stadium (although that has its own issues).
Out in Left Field
AG
https://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2017/10/30/16572206/potential-crew-relocation-to-austin-prompts-san-antonio-to-send-threatening-letter-to-mls
fig96
AG
Out in Left Field said:

https://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2017/10/30/16572206/potential-crew-relocation-to-austin-prompts-san-antonio-to-send-threatening-letter-to-mls
Very interesting. Also interesting, I'd missed this till now:
http://www.mystatesman.com/sports/soccer/mls-trademarks-possible-names-for-potential-austin-franchise/ebRZrUnOnfwMjpYYywBXZL/

Potential names: Austin FC and Austin Athletic

ChipFTAC01
AG
I like Austin Athletic.

With all of the euro-style team names I think the ones that work best when they don't feel forced even if it's a blatant ripoff. Real Salt Lake is idiotic. Dynamo works because of the Houston energy connection. Sporting KC just feels clunky.

I'm really surprised that no one has gone and used a year in their name like Houston 1836. I still think that was a missed opportunity.
TXAggie2011
AG
If we're going with foreign names, I wish we'd stop going with "FC" and use "SC." It's okay in a country where the sport is called "soccer" to call our clubs "soccer clubs."
fig96
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

I like Austin Athletic.

With all of the euro-style team names I think the ones that work best when they don't feel forced even if it's a blatant ripoff. Real Salt Lake is idiotic. Dynamo works because of the Houston energy connection. Sporting KC just feels clunky.

I'm really surprised that no one has gone and used a year in their name like Houston 1836. I still think that was a missed opportunity.
Houston 1836 is my fantasy football team name

But agreed, very much wish we'd been able to avoid the faux political outrage on that one. It does seem like recent expansion clubs have gone a bit more traditional soccer direction as well (Atlanta and Minnesota) though I'd have appreciated at least a bit of differentiation.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Orlando is SC aren't they?
moneyag7
Columbus Crew and Orlando City are the only two clubs that are SC
fig96
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

Yup, lots of FCs and a few SCs now:

Atlanta United FC
Columbus Crew SC
New York City FC
Orlando City SC
Toronto FC
FC Dallas
Minnesota United FC
Seattle Sounders FC
Sporting Kansas City (kinda)
Vancouver Whitecaps FC

As well as the upcoming LA FC.

TXAggie2011
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

Yeah.

But still lots of FCs. I'm from DFW so I went and read the official FC Dallas club history and the only mention of "football" was in reference to the Kansas City Chiefs. Otherwise "soccer" appeared 15 times.

And yeah, I know and respect a lot of MLS fans may speak Spanish, but it's not FC Nueva York.
TXAggie2011
AG
Its probably not a big deal but its gimmicky and I'm not sure it helps MLS grow out being a novelty item on the shelf of American sports, if you'll allow a terrible analogy.

"Real" is just terrible and definitely makes MLS sound like a weird foreign novelty item.
who?mikejones
AG
http://kxan.com/2017/12/07/columbus-crew-releases-renderings-of-possible-soccer-stadium-along-lady-bird-lake/

?w=1024
These are my people, Americans.
Bockaneer
AG
I actually love the name Real Salt Lake - just has a good mouth feel.
I prefer the Austin Athletics if the CC moves.
And if they move and considering Columbus is our de facto USMNT home field...
Could the league/USMNT sponsor a Nationals team comprised of the best up and coming talent competing during the season against the MLS? It might not have all of the "stars" but it could feature the U17s and U21s not under contract overseas... foreign clubs could scout them and sign them and we get a core of guys who really understand the system. I'm sure there are prohibitions to this idea but I think it'd be a lot of fun and probably a good follow.
Mike Elko
AG
Come on down, Columbus Crew! Passed 7-4 this afternoon.

*Typo
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.