Gulati will not resign

5,852 Views | 113 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Aston94
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.thescore.com/news/1396944

Admittedly, haven't followed the leadership much but even being unfamiliar with it you can smell the hubris in this article.
Mathguy64
AG
Just listened to an interview in Sirius FC. They were interviewing Eric Wynalda. He's being listed as a possible candidate to replace Gulati. They point blank asked him is he was and he refused to answer either way. He was openly critical of Gulati and the Board. They also said Julie Foudy was preparing to run.
LeonardSkinner
I'm gonna go with a big fat No on Wynalda (and Foudy, for that matter).
Matilda
AG
Having been following usmnt since last World Cup...But why don't people like wynalda?
Phat32
AG
Is it a pre-req to be American?
Wrighty
AG
Taylor Twellman seems to have exceptionally good soccer judgement, and is passionate. Get him in the setup somewhere.
An Ag in CO
AG
Well, he won't be running for re-election. Good news for US Soccer.
akm91
AG
Doesn't mean that we won't get a Gulati-lite elected.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
heddleston
AG
yep, there's so many candidates, all Gulati and his establishment peeps have todo is nominate one crony and theyre in. i think i read its gonna be one of SUMs VPs
TheMasterplan
Hope Solo just declared her nomination...
wangus12
AG
TheMasterplan said:

This is like Donald Trump running. Except worse.
EastSideAg2002
ja86
wangus12
AG
Aston94
AG
TheMasterplan said:

Thanks for this, I needed a good laugh today.
Jason_Ag98
AG
There are officially eight candidates for president:

• Paul Caligiuri
  • Kathy Carter
  • Carlos Cordeiro
  • Steve Gans
  • Kyle Martino
  • Hope Solo
  • Michael Winograd
  • Eric Wynalda

Who do we want to win?
jeffk
AG
Martino.
Mathguy64
AG
I think the person that wins will be whoever understands the bizarre voting process. And I think that means getting Garber in your pocket as he controls a fair chunk of the vote. Wynalda has openly sparred with Garber over pro rel and making the MLS calendar match Europe.

My guess is it will end up being Carter or Cordeiro. They are the two insiders and that gives them a huge leg up. If the pool had only been three, one of the former players might have had a chance.
gig them
AG
I don't like Wynalda, but I love the idea of matching the Euro Calendar

I hate that they are a package deal
Mathguy64
AG
I'm not sure there is much difference between Wynalda and Martino in terms of their soccer goals. Martino is just not as "in your face" as Wynalda is. He's also not as openly anti Garber either. Martino wants the Presidents position to be a full time paid position.

Somewhere digging around yesterday I saw a handicap table of the candidates. Wynalda and Carter are the favorites but both were sitting at about a 25% chance. There are so many candidates and the voting is so screwy and complicated no one really knows how this will play out. I wouldn't be surprised to see some folks drop out and try to consolidate votes.
gig them
AG
If I had to bet... I'd throw my money down on Carter. Despite our recent struggles on the world stage, money speaks louder than anything else in the USSF offices.

And mannnnnnn can she make some money
akm91
AG
Carter's getting backing from Garber (MLS) and Gulati. The fix is in.
gig them said:

If I had to bet... I'd throw my money down on Carter. Despite our recent struggles on the world stage, money speaks louder than anything else in the USSF offices.

And mannnnnnn can she make some money

Yep:

WCQs against Costa Rica in Jersey.
Gold Cup finals in North Mexico.
gig them
AG
Oh, I agree on all fronts. We have a chance to institute substantial change with this election, and money will likely win out. It's very frustrating.
jeffk
AG
A good Q/A with all of the candidates if you're interested:

https://ussfathletecouncil.com/
gig them
AG
Our random home field selection really bothered me last cycle... and apparently I'm not alone. The USSF has received so much criticism that they felt compelled to make a formal response.

Personally, if we have people in the organization that believe Harrison, NJ provided the 'greatest opportunity for on-field success,' then we might need a larger personnel overhaul
ChipFTAC01
AG
Reading through some of those I really want Steve Gans to be elected. Which probably dooms him to complete failure like most of my preferred political candidates.
Mathguy64
AG
Gans was the only candidate to start campaigning before the T&T loss.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I saw this headline yesterday and it makes me feel like it's in the bag for Kathy Carter.

http://www.espnfc.com/united-states/story/3350583/mls-approved-for-14-percent-of-us-soccer-presidential-vote-sources
Aston94
AG
Looks like Hope Solo did today what Hope Solo does and went all scorched earth on the USSF. This should really help her candidacy for president.

http://soccer.nbcsports.com/2018/01/30/presidential-candidate-solo-files-complaint-against-u-s-soccer/
carl spacklers hat
Wow, very interesting. If it were anyone but her making the same allegations, this would be big news. I haven't looked at a 990 for USSF (assume there is one if they are non-profit) but there might be relevant information there to support or defend against a claim of conflict of interest. I also don't know enough information to opine on the allegations of MLS support at the expense of other stakeholders. But, if true, every soccer fan in the U.S. should be asking for a review of USSF priorities. Until the youth game gets the attention it needs, NOBODY should be scratching their heads in wonder why the U.S. doesn't stand on par with the soccer powers of the world. My two cents.
Aston94
AG
Well, since the USSF is electing a new president next week, probably a good time to ask about priorities.

MLS is a money maker and a talent generator. USSF has propped up and given all support to the NWSL, so I think her allegations fall a bit on deaf ears.
I am sure the USSF could always do more for the youth game, but they do more for local groups and to promote the game than any other overseeing sports body I have dealt with.
Soccer's structure in the US is more defined than any other major team sport.
That's my .02 cents.
Mathguy64
AG
Ok boys and girls. It's time to vote in a little over a day. Get your bets in.

A buddy of mine was supposed to be in Orlando voting (family emergency kept him at home) and he's pretty dialed in and he has no clue who it will be. Said they basically have some they could live with and some they couldn't.

It looks like insider Kathy Carter is lining up smaller voting blocks I think in hopes those and a big block controlled by Garber gets her in.

I think we may see a couple of candidates try to merge blocks after the first round.

And I'm betting the "talent laden" Ms Solo finishes dead ass last.
akm91
AG
Carter seems to be the front runner, and in my opinion a big mistake if the responsibilities of the USSF President remains the same as under Gulati.

Martino seem to have a big backing from the Athlete's Council but Wynalda seem to have good backing from Adult Council. Would be interesting to see if those two throw their support together.

gig them
AG
akm91 said:

Carter seems to be the front runner, and in my opinion a big mistake if the responsibilities of the USSF President remains the same as under Gulati.

Martino seem to have a big backing from the Athlete's Council but Wynalda seem to have good backing from Adult Council. Would be interesting to see if those two throw their support together.

I think that's the only way a former player is going to challenge Carter. Now, the question is... will either side eventually realize they can't do it alone and consolidate votes? Wynalda seems especially unlikely to throw his support behind someone else, so that might be the wrinkle that paves the way for Carter.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.