Good article for some insight into this qualifying cycle (and the last one)

1,372 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ja86
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://americansoccernow.com/articles/the-missing-years-u-s-soccer-s-development-gap
A
Another good article
https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/10/12/armchair-analyst-true-cost-us-soccers-world-cup-failure?amp
PJYoung
AG
Good read.

Better times are coming.

Also helps explain why it's important to support your domestic league if you want your national team to get better.
who?mikejones
AG
Tell the mls to give me a good reason to watch its league. Stop hamstringing the league financially. Start relegation.

In essence, you're asking me to to choose to watch the sunbelt instead of the sec. I dont have the time.
PJYoung
AG
who?mikejones said:

Tell the mls to give me a good reason to watch its league. Stop hamstringing the league financially. Start relegation.

In essence, you're asking me to to choose to watch the sunbelt instead of the sec. I dont have the time.

The talent in the MLS is improving yearly. It's coming. It just takes time.

And relegation is not even a thought. There's no incentive for these MLS owners to give up a spot at the table. Relegation is something that needs to be done when these leagues are founded to have a chance.

Bockaneer
AG
Relegation? Get outta here; not with taxpayer funded stadiums.
jeffk
AG
MLS and USSF (and really the women's league too) need to realize they have different end goals and stop giving each other the reach-around. MLS exists to make money, USSF exists to better the quality of play at the top levels of soccer in our nation. They can help each other out a bit, but one doesn't exist to facilitate the other. The sooner the leaders of both realize and address where they differ, the better.
Phat32
AG
Hopefully the USSF has a new leader soon, so that may help.
oh no
AG
solid article
FCBlitz
It is a shame the MLS did away with the B teams. I used those guys as trainers for my team. They were very exciting to watch play as well cause no one showed up to watch.
akm91
AG
Election isn't until February 2018.

We need to schedule matches for the November window and start playing the younger players like McKennie, CVV, Miyazga, Jonathan Gonzalez and others.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
oh no
AG
is CCV locked in for the US now?
akm91
AG
I don't think so.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
PatAg
AG
who?mikejones said:

This is getting tired. I understand if you only have time in the week to watch a couple games, obviously you are going to choose Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, or Bundesliga.

I would venture to guess if you take the time to post on these boards, you can spare time to watch the good MLS teams play. Attempt to watch it with a clean slate, because a lot of these teams play attractive soccer.

edit, that being said, I'm guessing you didn't bother to read the article because that wasn't the point.
tysker
AG
PatAg said:

http://americansoccernow.com/articles/the-missing-years-u-s-soccer-s-development-gap
Is there a possible correlation with England missing the 94 WC with a lack of development for kids born in the early 90s? I remember a coach discussing with me back in 94-95 that so many of our coaches back in the 80s and 90s were from the UK and noted that was bad considering England didnt make the WC. Did my generation (Gen Xers) pick up bad skills and tactics from UK-style coaching that we then pushed on to our kids? From my perspective, it wasnt until the mid-late 90s that we saw a large influx of latin and eastern european coaches and training techniques.

Or maybe I seeing something that just isnt there...
PatAg
AG
Pahdz
Pretty damning
gig them
AG
Moving forward, an interesting angle to consider.... the Copa America expands from 12 to 16 teams starting in 2019. The tournament is also expected to reset its four year cycle moving forward with a special version in 2020 (which could also be held in the U.S)

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/report-usa-mexico-and-two-euro-giants-could-play-in-2019-copa-america-in-brazil/

If I'm Sunil (or whoever wins the election), I'm begging my way into the 2019 version and hoping like hell I can host in 2020. Barring that, you're counting on the ever-exciting Gold Cup knockout rounds to provide 'meaningful games' to keep your fans engaged for the next five years.

If we're invited to either version, we need to take it seriously (looking at you, 2007)
PatAg
AG
The 2nd article I added has some great points and good info
boogieman
AG
PatAg said:

Wow. I'm back in the anger stage.
ja86
AG
PatAg said:

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.