Who do you keep from the current talent pool?

2,712 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Texags is garbage
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So it goes without saying that the current generation of US players have been a failure and we have to begin to build for 2022 (a ****ing travesty in and of itself. **** Qatar).

Obviously Pulisic is your main pillar. Yedlin and Wood are probably guys you want. Hope that Acosta continues to develop. Pretty much need to refill every position.
PatAg
AG
At this point, anyone that is probably 28 or older is done, imo. There is no super star 28 year old. Unless there is hidden talent no one knows about, the 24-28 range is pretty barren. There's a lot of talent coming along from the 16-23 range, gotta hope they keep developing.

From that 24-28 range that I think stays in player pool/plans going ahead
Bobby Wood, John Brooks, Dom Dwyer (why was he not in this game) Aron Johansson (was really talented, gotta figure out what went wrong) Nagbe (at this point, I'd move on to younger players with more potential) Zardes (good for depth, not sure he will ever get any more talented)

There's other players I'm sure in that range, I was just going off a list from google of our player pool this cycle.
There's a lot of players in the 20-23 range that haven't been part of the scene in a while that showed promise as well.

We just need to find a way to do what Germany did, and that starts with Sunil being gone.
Hickory High
AG
Keep:
-Pulisic
-Yedlin
-Brooks

Maybes:
-Wood
-Acosta
-Nagbe
-Besler
-Arriola

Call Up IMMEDIATELY:
-Weston McKennie
-Lynden Gooch
-Danny Williams
-Cameron Carter-Vickers
-Eric Lichaj
-Shaq Moore
-Emerson Hyndman

Hope that all the guys on the U17 team really are that good.

Get rid of everyone else.
PatAg
AG
Hickory High said:

Keep:
-Pulisic
-Yedlin
-Brooks

Maybes:
-Wood
-Acosta
-Nagbe
-Besler
-Arriola

Call Up IMMEDIATELY:
-Weston McKennie
-Lynden Gooch
-Danny Williams
-Cameron Carter-Vickers
-Eric Lichaj
-Shaq Moore
-Emerson Hyndman

I thought the U-20 earlier this year, and the current u17's has a lot of combined talent. I don't think there is any developmental reason to NOT start giving them caps and chances to play together against top talent in the world. It's a foreign concept to us, but we are still going to be playing a lot of friendlies against teams looking to prep for the world cup. I would imagine we would be a sought after team to schedule as well.

Sebestian Lletget had game, but I think I remember him getting injured this year.
fig96
AG
Wood is in and I'd assume we'll see more Jordan Morris too. From it's all about which of the younger guys can prove themselves.
duck79
AG
I must have missed it. Why was Brooks left out of the recent qualifications? Is he currently unfit? OG on the field ahead of Brooks and Cameron is a joke.
Hickory High
AG
duck79 said:

I must have missed it. Why was Brooks left out of the recent qualifications? Is he currently unfit? OG on the field ahead of Brooks and Cameron is a joke.

Brooks has been hurt for the past month, and it seems like he'll be fighting injury for the rest of his career.
who?mikejones
AG
I wouldn't call up Morris until he goes overseas. Big disappointment imo.

The only two from this group who are automatic is pulisic and yedlin. Brooks is pretty close to auto.

Everyone else is going to have to give good reasons to be called up.
wangus12
AG
Agreed. Morris is a perfect example of a good player who settled for the MLS instead of taking a chance overseas and has regressed because of it. He was better when he played for freaking Stanford
titanmaster_race
wangus12 said:

Agreed. Morris is a perfect example of a good player who settled for the MLS instead of taking a chance overseas and has regressed because of it. He was better when he played for freaking Stanford

This. I hate the MLS.
JJxvi
AG
I know everyone likes to boil everything down to sheer simplicity (MLS bad, Europe good for development) or whatever. But we really had a lot of kids go to Europe that should be in their twenties after the 2010 world cup now who never got a sniff of the field at any of those clubs they signed with for a variety of reasons. Lletget for example basically spent 7 years at West Ham for almost no competitive playing time and came back to MLS.
irishaggie97
AG
Just gutted.

Personally i think they should fire everyone from Gulati down to the ball boys. just blow it up. start over. new mentality. total culture change. The mentality should be Dominate CONCACAF. Consistently top 10-15 in the world.

as for the players. no one who will be over 28 for the 2022 world cup should suit up for the USMNT again. period.
Dempsey? love you. Thank you for your time, but it is up now. Howard? still a great keeper. time to step aside. Bradley? captain pass back? (seriously did he connect on a single ball going forward last night?) I dont ever want to see him in a US jersey again. Altidore? Thanks, but too old.

We need to target the Gold Cup in 2019. Build a team starting today, led by Pulisic. Throw in wood, Yedlin, a few others. Bring in a coach that can develop young players, not 'fit' them into the USA mold. Build that team, have 8-9 of the core players in EVERY.SINGLE.GAME for the next 2 years. build that core that plays together. put that team in the 2019 Gold cup. win it and qualify for the Confederations Cup.

Use that team for qualifying for 2022. a single cohesive unit that knows and trusts each other absolutely.

While we are at it. transform the Gold Cup into a better competition. have it every 4 years not 2. In a year when not much else is going on so all the teams send their best squads. It should be this type of schedule
Year 1 Build, retrain, reevaluate
Year 2 Gold Cup
Year 3 Confederations Cup and WC Qualifying
Year 4 World Cup
repeat
Rick Flex
AG
Hickory High said:

Keep:
-Pulisic
-Yedlin
-Brooks

Maybes:
-Wood
-Acosta
-Nagbe
-Besler
-Arriola

Call Up IMMEDIATELY:
-Weston McKennie
-Lynden Gooch
-Danny Williams
-Cameron Carter-Vickers
-Eric Lichaj
-Shaq Moore
-Emerson Hyndman

Besler is 30, so I do not see him playing in Qatar. But you keep the rest of your "Maybes", at the very least for depth. And in my opinion, Wood and Morris are definite keeps.

Here are some other up coming players in the U20 to add to that list:
Tyler Adams
Haji Wright
Josh Perez
Gedion Zelalem
Justin Von Steeg
Pahdz
what's the keeper from FC Dallas? Basically hand that kid the keys to goal and say "you've got 8 years"
wangus12
AG
Right now, Morris is on the outside looking in. He has been exceptionally bad this season for Seattle. Only 3 goals.
Rick Flex
AG
wangus12 said:

Right now, Morris is on the outside looking in. He has been exceptionally bad this season for Seattle. Only 3 goals.

He is 22 years old. You ready to cut ties with a 22 year old who has international experience? I know he has had a bad year at Seattle but his development isn't over.
AggieWonWon
See the MLS bashing is alive in well on this thread..MLS is not responsible for the USA mens team being ****e. USA made the World Cup in years where there was no domestic league am I too believe MLS has had an opposite effect?

Morris has been battling injuries this whole year comical that people already want to write him off.
who?mikejones
AG
I'm not ready to give up on him but what the hell has he done to justify some special status? He appears to be a pretty average player that can have a special moment now and again.
akm91
AG
Hickory High said:

Keep:
-Pulisic
-Yedlin
-Brooks

Maybes:
-Wood
-Acosta
-Nagbe
-Besler
-Arriola

Call Up IMMEDIATELY:
-Weston McKennie
-Lynden Gooch
-Danny Williams
-Cameron Carter-Vickers
-Eric Lichaj
-Shaq Moore
-Emerson Hyndman

I'd keep Wood, Acosta, Nagbe, Lleget, Arriola, Villafana ( the latter 4 for depth at least)

Both Williams and Lichaj are 28 so wouldn't be part of 2022 anyway.

I'd add:
Jonathan Gonzales (18 year old starting in Liga MX)
Jesse Gonzales (GK from FCD)
Ethan Horvath
Erik Palmer Brown (I think he's going to get loaned out in January but signed by Manchester City)
Matt Miyazga
Joshua Perez
Haji Wright
Cristian Roldan

"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
akm91
AG
Pahdz said:

what's the keeper from FC Dallas? Basically hand that kid the keys to goal and say "you've got 8 years"
Jesse Gonzalez. He and Horvath need to battle it out. I'd give the edge to Horvath right now. There's a Klinsmann on the horizon for GK depth.
Hickory High
AG
I'll say it again, as I don't think I emphasized it enough in my post.

Weston McKennie is the key. Pulisic Will most likely be the greatest American soccer player ever, and I think McKennie has the potential to be the second greatest. He needs to be on the national team roster yesterday.
Hickory High
AG
akm91 said:

Pahdz said:

Jesse Gonzalez. He and Horvath need to battle it out. I'd give the edge to Horvath right now. There's a Klinsmann on the horizon for GK depth.

Yes, I completely forgot to add Klinsmann to my list. He could be really good.
wangus12
AG
I didn't say cut ties with him, but he is on the outside looking in. Dempsey has played only a couple of games more and has 12 goals and has played through injury all year as well. Altidore has almost exactly the same amount of games and has 13. Everyone wants to be done with both of them.

Like Aron Johannsson, Morris has a lot of work to do to get back into the national team in my opinion.

akm91
AG
McKennie plays as a defensive mid correct? He would be the logical Bradley replacement.

The CB pairing is going to be the big key in my opinion. This cycle we just didn't have any consistency at all with injuries. I think with Brooks, Miyazga, CVV and Palmer Brown, that's a pretty good set of CB's and quality depth (providing Palmer Brown gets playing time).

Damn if those prospects truly develop, we'd have Wolfsburg, Chelsea, Tottenham and Man City (long shot) CB's on the USMNT.
tysker
AG
wangus12 said:

He was never going overseas without a left foot. Too easy to strategize around a straight ahead, one-footed player.
akm91
AG
I guess it's easier to list by positions and players listed are for both starting and depth on the team. Only includes players that have been on USMNT rosters or camp invitees since January camp 2016 and will be 30 or less @ 2022 WC

GK - Bill Hamid, Sean Johnson, Ethan Horvath, Jesse Gonzalez, Zack Steffen
CB - Brooks, Miyazga, Ventura Alvarado, Steve Birnbaum, Walker Zimmerman
FB - Yedlin, Villafana, Greg Garza, Justin Morrow
MF - Nagbe, Pulisic, Arriola, Gooch, Hyndman, Lletget, Acosta
FW - Wood, Rubio Rubin, Morris, Aguedelo

That's not a lot of holdovers from the current pool. We've not done a good job of continually incorporating younger players into the team. Part of that is due to the "lost generation" mentioned on another thread.
fig96
AG
who?mikejones said:

I wouldn't call up Morris until he goes overseas. Big disappointment imo.

The only two from this group who are automatic is pulisic and yedlin. Brooks is pretty close to auto.

Everyone else is going to have to give good reasons to be called up.
Hadn't followed Morris recently, that is disappointing.

Hopefully we've got some young guys who realize there's some massive opportunity here, we're looking at turning over easily 2/3 of the roster.

Consider that next cycle we mostly likely won't have...

Dempsey
Howard
Bradley
Cameron
Altidore
Besler
Gonzalez
Beasley
Guzan
Feilhaber
Bedoya
Ream
Rimando
Zusi
Wondolowski

Not all those guys are stars, but most saw pretty regular minutes throughout qualifying. We'll miss Dempsey, Howard, Cameron, Bradley, Beasley, and Zusi the most IMO.
jeffk
AG
Wondo will still somehow make the roster in 2022.
fig96
AG
jeffk said:

Had to include him on the list cause he's made so many freakin' rosters

By all accounts he's a really good guy, just wasn't ever quite up to international quality despite some coaches' insistence otherwise.
akm91
AG
fig96 said:

jeffk said:

Had to include him on the list cause he's made so many freakin' rosters

By all accounts he's a really good guy, just wasn't ever quite up to international quality despite some coaches' insistence otherwise.
Sadly I think that speaks for sizable number of the players in the pool.
tysker
AG
Is everyone writing off Jozy? He's only 27 (28 next month).
And yet people still want Darlington Nagbe who will be 32 at the 2022 WC?
fig96
AG
tysker said:

Is everyone writing off Jozy? He's only 27 (28 next month).
And yet people still want Darlington Nagbe who will be 32 at the 2022 WC?
I imagine he'll be involved in qualifying, but he's just never really developed that much as a player.

He has his moments, but from the flashes we saw at 19 or 20 I expected a lot more.
planoaggie123
AG
JJxvi said:

I know everyone likes to boil everything down to sheer simplicity (MLS bad, Europe good for development) or whatever. But we really had a lot of kids go to Europe that should be in their twenties after the 2010 world cup now who never got a sniff of the field at any of those clubs they signed with for a variety of reasons. Lletget for example basically spent 7 years at West Ham for almost no competitive playing time and came back to MLS.
I think that says something about the state of US Soccer...I am not saying every starter on our World Cup roster should be from a team in the top European leagues but ultimately some of our "best" players struggle to make some of the worst teams in the top leagues...it will always be hard to compete when that is a fact. I don't have any real answers but our players just are not as good as many other countries. It is not a lack of athletes. It is 100% the structure and how we develop. If we did it right, we should be a top 10 team year in and year out.

With that all said, that does not mean we should not be able to easily get out of CONCACAF...we should...the team should be embarrassed....
akm91
AG
In that case, for my team both Jozy and Nagbe are off since they'll be over 30 by then.
tysker
AG
Fair enough. He does dive try to draw more fouls now than he did before
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.