*****OFFICIAL U-17 WORLD CUP THREAD*****

4,665 Views | 166 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by LondonOllie
Aston94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We have WC soccer going on, started this morning, for the U-17 boys.

Tournament is being played in India, and US plays India today at 9:30 am. Games are being telecast on FS1 and FS2. Today's game will mark India's first match in a FIFA World Cup, having never qualified at any level before.

As for Americans, Josh Sargent will be the key man and captain. He earned the Silver Boot at the 2017 FIFA U-20 World Cup earlier this year and recently announced he will sign with Bundesliga club Werder Bremen next February when he turns 18. The group also includes six players signed to MLS Homegrown contracts Andrew Carleton (Atlanta United FC), Chris Durkin (D.C. United), Chris Goslin (Atlanta United FC), Jaylin Lindsey (Sporting Kansas City), Bryan Reynolds Jr. (FC Dallas) and James Sands (New York City FC), two of whom have already made their pro league debuts.

In addition, four members of the team compete for international clubs: Sergio Dest (Ajax), CJ Dos Santos (S.L. Benfica), Jacobo Reyes (C.F. Monterrey) and Tim Weah (Paris Saint-Germain). Weah is the son of George Weah, the 1995 FIFA World Player of the Year.

The U-17s commence World Cup action today with a matchup against the hosts, India at Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in New Delhi. The game is expected to draw a sellout crowd and the eyes of the entire nation. Three days later, the U.S. takes on Ghana (of course) before rounding out the group on Thursday, Oct. 12 against Colombia. The top two teams from each group and the four best third-place sides square off in a single-elimination tournament to determine the victor. You can watch each of the USA's group matches on FS2 and UNIVERSO.
akm91
AG
Ran into Josh Sargent and chatted with him for a few minutes at the airport as he and the team were making their way to the ME. Didn't realize how tall he was! Very polite and seem to be a well grounded kid.

Good luck boys!
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
MB19
AG
India actually qualified for the 1950 World Cup. They withdrew since FIFA would not let them play...in bare feet!
akm91
AG
You can stream the US vs India match on foxsportsgo.com (with valid TV provider credentials)
OregonAggie
AG
http://www.espnfc.us/match?gameId=489297

0-0 7th minute. US has had 2 opportunities so far
akm91
AG
USA up 1-0. Sargent converts from penalty spot.
akm91
AG
Halftime, US up 1-0.
wangus12
AG
2-nil
jeffk
AG
Got three points with a 3-0 win. Way to set the tone, Baby Nats.
moneyag7
Sitting in first place of the group after match day 1. Goal differential will be important with a good Ghana team and Colombia in the same group as us. Ghana beat Colombia earlier today, which will set up an interesting match day 2 against Ghana. Come on Baby Nats!
Aston94
AG
Nice win today!
PatAg
AG
damn, for some reason I thought that game was tongiht
Pahdz
So what's the consensus on Sargent? Legit? I recall his play in the U20 WC and seemed like he was the real deal.
moneyag7
Real deal as far as I can tell. I don't keep up with the nat babies that well though so take that with a grain of salt
Dre_00
The consensus from people much more knowledgeable than I is that yes, he's legit.

I mean...he was the U-20s best forward and leading scorer during the U-20 WC and is the U-20s youngest scorer ever. He's already agreed to a pro contract with Werder Bremen on his 18th birthday. None of that guarantees future success but he's a legit prospect to watch as a potential full team player in the relatively near future.
PatAg
AG
Dre_00 said:

The consensus from people much more knowledgeable than I is that yes, he's legit.

I mean...he was the U-20s best forward and leading scorer during the U-20 WC and is the U-20s youngest scorer ever. He's already agreed to a pro contract with Werder Bremen on his 18th birthday. None of that guarantees future success but he's a legit prospect to watch as a potential full team player in the relatively near future.
The thing that stands out to me, is he already makes runs and creates spacing like a big time pro. A lot of players dont ever really develop that ability.
Pahdz
I watched a lot if that U20 tourney in May and felt like I was watching a superstar. Seems like there is some good talent in the pipeline.
jeffk
AG
Let's not get carried away. He is a ginger.
Aston94
AG
US and its ginger star play their second group game tomorrow morning, at 6:30am against Ghana. Game is on FS2.

Ghana won their first match 1-0 over Colombia. Big game tomorrow as Ghana is a very strong side.
wangus12
AG
0-0 at the half
OregonAggie
AG
I hate Ghana!!!!
OregonAggie
AG
Up 1-0 in the 79th minute. Goal in the 75th by Akinola
jeffk
AG
Ginger just banged heads with a Ghanian defender. Both down getting looked at.
jeffk
AG
Ghana just taking turns having their attackers run 1v1 at our defenders at speed. In stoppage time now.
wangus12
AG
Another W
Aston94
AG
Great result for US! Akinola with a beautiful run into box and powerful goal. I was disappointed with his play in India match but he looked much better today coming off the bench.

With that win US is all but assured a spot in the final 16. Depending on result of India-Columbia match later on, may already be assured top 2 before final game.

Ghana is very, very fast and dangerous. They should have had a goal or two themselves in 2nd half. Great result, if not a tad lucky. But playing a tough, fast team in the heat of India was always going to be difficult.
jeffk
AG
The Black Stars are always a force to be reckoned with and a thorn in our side. Nice to put them away and go 2-0 in the tournament.
PatAg
AG
In the highlights FIFA has on their youtube, our #9 made some excellent plays on the wing. Nicely taken goal by us, good win.
akm91
AG
Really impressed at the composure of the team and the collective ability to pass the ball out of the back. Hopefully the stars of U-20's and the U-17's will provide the backbone of the USMNT after 2018 WC.
Aston94
AG
Colombia topped India today 2-1, meaning we are looking really good on goal differential for our group:

1. USA 6pts +4 GD
2. Ghana 3pts 0 GD
3. Colombia 3pts 0 GD
4. India 0pts -4 GD

Last group matches are Thursday, 9:30am, US plays Colombia and Ghana plays India. Unless Ghana and Colombia can both win by 4 or more goals we are assured one of the top 2 spots.
PJYoung
AG
moneyag7
Well gentleman, welcome to the future World Cup team. Hope y'all have been watching these matches. Tonight sucks for so many reasons. Hoping these baby yanks can pull back even the smallest of hope in our federation.
wangus12
AG
moneyag7
Conceded a goal in the 3rd minute after sloppy box defense following a throw in.

Just drew level 1-1 thanks to Carleton making a run to the line and drawing a ball back across the six. Acosta, in his first start of the tournament, scores the goal.
MidTnAg
AG
moneyag7 said:

Conceded a goal in the 3rd minute after sloppy box defense following a throw in.

Just drew level 1-1 thanks to Carleton making a run to the line and drawing a ball back across the six. Acosta, in his first start of the tournament, scores the goal.
Ball bounced about 1m in front of keeper and he did not flinch.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.