Bruce Arena

5,300 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Basketball and Chain
Aston94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This roster reminds me why I was happy to see him leave the first time. Always has to prove that he knows more about soccer than the rest of us. Hope his "intelligence " doesn't cost us a WC birth.

1. So Zardes is more useful than Fabian Johnson?
2. We still have no forward in the freaking US of A that is more useful than Chris Wondoloski? Are you kidding me?
3.Nick Romano? Why?
4. Arena's love affair with MLS players is...disturbing.

Roster
Goalkeepers: Tim Howard, Brad Guzan, Nick Rimando

Defenders: Geoff Cameron, Matt Besler, Omar Gonzalez, Tim Ream, DeAndre Yedlin, Jorge Villafana, Graham Zusi, DaMarcus Beasley, Michael Orozco.

Midfielders: Michael Bradley, Darlington Nagbe, Kellyn Acosta, Christian Pulisic, Alejandro Bedoya, Paul Arriola, Juan Agudelo, Dax McCarty, Benny Feilhaber, Gyasi Zardes

Forwards: Jozy Altidore, Clint Dempsey, Bobby Wood, Chris Wondolowski
jeffk
AG
As the president of the Fabian Johnson fan club, I'll go ahead and say that I'm okay with him not being called up this time. He's coming off an injury and had honestly not been playing very for his club or the Nats in the last several outings. Were there other international players you wanted to see?

Arena is a placeholder. He'll be gone in a fortnight and isn't going to do anything surprising in the least.

Also, Jordan Morris is hurt too otherwise he'd be in camp at forward.
akm91
AG
Guess arena doesn't feel Johnson is fit enough? According to ESPN, Johnson has only logged 181 min total this Bundesliga season.

Orozco? Wondo? What's up with these guys????

Guess we'll be playing a 4-5-1 at some point, with Feilhaber, Nagbe and Pulisic as the attacking mids and Acosta and Bradley the defensive mids.

Hopefully it won't be Jozy as the lone striker.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
akm91
AG
Would've loved to see Horvath instead of Rimondo at Keeper. I'd like to have seen Miyazga instead of Orozco or Omar.

I guess Atena needs to balance the club careers for the young players and getting called in for depth only.
Aston94
AG
I agree FJ hasn't been at his best, but Zardes?
jeffk
AG
Who just withdrew from camp with a groin strain.
Pahdz
I guess Dwyer's Gold Cup wasn't good enough
AggieWonWon
This he should be on this team..
titanmaster_race
Unbelievable that Zusi and Wondo keep getting call ups.
akm91
AG
No one else behind Yedlin, unless you want to play Orozco there.

Wondo's a headscratcher. I figure that Dwyer would've gotten the call since he offers a bit more in my opinion than Wondo.
tysker
AG
akm91 said:

No one else behind Yedlin, unless you want to play Orozco there.
Or Zusi
jeffk
AG
Think we'll see a three man backline?
akm91
AG
jeffk
AG
That's magical!

Will I find a lucrative and prestigious career opportunity in the near future?
Smokedraw01
We looked really good against Mexico with the 3-man backline but health has prevented us from playing one since. Gonzo worries me because he seems to drop out of line and keep players onside but maybe Cameron can talk to him and keep him together.
ScottishFire
AG
Wondo I'll never forgive him after missing that tap in against Belgium.
jay040
Dom Dwyer > Chris Wondolowski
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
jeffk said:

Will I find a lucrative and prestigious career opportunity in the near future?
Sorry bud:

HHH 95
AG
With Arena, this team has a higher floor, but a lower ceiling than with Klinsmann. He was hired to just get us to the World Cup. And that's what this team will do. It will just get to the World Cup.
moneyag7
You are not allowed to bring this up. Like ever. To this day, I refuse to say his name. He will never be forgiven.
birdman
You sometimes liked Klinsmann's lineup but he lost a bunch and generally underperformed expectations.

You hate the latest Arena lineup but he won a bunch and generally outperformed expectations.

Lemme know when Bruce Arena starts losing games. Until then it's just a bunch of gas bags spouting nonsense.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
I think this is the case. If the US makes a change if/when we qualify I'll be curious to see who gets to replace arena as the caretaker manager.

Perhaps the US could do me and like minded Everton supporters a solid and hire Ronald Koeman away from us.
Mr. White
If the U.S. makes the Cup, Arena's status is still up in the air?
TheMasterplan
Mr. White said:

If the U.S. makes the Cup, Arena's status is still up in the air?
I dont doubt Arena will want to coach through the WC. Whoever it is needs to make sure to bring the best talent in possible, not these MLS scrubs.
akm91
AG
Hard to say if Arena will bring inMiyazga, CCV, Wright and other young players in January if we qualify. he took several young players in 2002 but stuck with his trusted players in 2006.
jeffk
AG
I think Arena will coach the MNT through the end of the WC whether we qualify or not. Most of the candidates we'd tap to replace him will be coaching teams in the tourney, so we wouldn't be able to make a move before it's concluded anyway.
Mathguy64
AG
If the bizarre happens this next set of matchdays and the USMNT doesnt qualify, or if they end 4th and have to play the play-in game and dont make it there, Arena either steps down the next day or is dismissed the next day. He wont be coaching through the WC if we dont qualify. Some interim will coach the friendlies, or they will have someone who is available appointed to get started ASAP.
jeffk
AG
So you think they'd give the reigns to Tab Ramos for a year instead of just keeping Bruce around as a lame duck (which is what he's really always been)?
PatAg
AG
mathguy86 said:

If the bizarre happens this next set of matchdays and the USMNT doesnt qualify, or if they end 4th and have to play the play-in game and dont make it there, Arena either steps down the next day or is dismissed the next day. He wont be coaching through the WC if we dont qualify. Some interim will coach the friendlies, or they will have someone who is available appointed to get started ASAP.
I think Arena would step down himself if we don't qualify.
PatAg
AG
I'm also not worried about qualifying, but that's just me.
jeffk
AG
Same. I think we win these next two game or even make it in going 1-1.
Mathguy64
AG
jeffk said:

So you think they'd give the reigns to Tab Ramos for a year instead of just keeping Bruce around as a lame duck (which is what he's really always been)?
Maybe. Tab would have a better feel of the U19/U21/U23 team. If they wanted an interim they could do that. I suspect there will be a massive overhaul whether we make it or not. I also think if they dont make it Gulati is a dead man walking. I think hes DOA anyway with the challenger, but not making it and hes gone the next day.

Edit: For the record I think we make it in too but I wouldnt bet my mortgage on it.
ScottishFire
AG
Just saw on Twitter that Bob Bradley is at the Team Hotel, and Arena called him in to assist this week.

All hands on deck!
TheMasterplan
ScottishFire said:

Just saw on Twitter that Bob Bradley is at the Team Hotel, and Arena called him in to assist this week.

All hands on deck!
Dude that's crazy. Here we go!

Australia vs. Syria tonight as well. (Playing in Kuala Lumpur)
Aston94
AG
birdman said:

You sometimes liked Klinsmann's lineup but he lost a bunch and generally underperformed expectations.

You hate the latest Arena lineup but he won a bunch and generally outperformed expectations.

Lemme know when Bruce Arena starts losing games. Until then it's just a bunch of gas bags spouting nonsense.

You mean like the last home qualifier against Costa Rica? Does that loss count?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.