***** BTHO Kansas *****

4,435 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by HiddenAg2
TRM
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Game begins at 1 and is on ESPN3.
TRM
AG
TRM
AG
Couple of good early chances from Bates on the right side and a hit on the crossbar.
biobioprof
No Harvey because of the red.

G in the press box.
TRM
AG
Bates finds the back of the net! 1-0 8th minute.
biobioprof
Bates Goal!
HiddenAg2
Bates has showed up for this game like a shot out of a cannon! Where has this been all season?
Here4goodSoccer
She has been stuck on the wrong side of the field
redd38
AG
A ref with the balls to call a pk
CDub06
AG
Bates is Back! Heckuva game so far
HiddenAg2
All I can say is where has that team been all year outside of one half vs. San Diego? Impressive half of soccer. Coach Phil with a great debut so far as the head man on the sideline.
redd38
AG
Holy Bates!
CDub06
AG
Just needed to keep the best players on the sideline. No biggie.
Expert Analysis
AG
Dam missed all 4 goals...maybe i should watch less

Nice to see us scoring especially on the road, coming off a bad game.
Here4goodSoccer
I think it helps Kansas had a tough game against St Louis on Friday. No complaints from me though
Expert Analysis
AG
Nice job by our gk to come out and get that one.
Where was this passing friday?
Hand Of God
AG
5-1

A&M now attempting to double their offensive output for the entire season.
redd38
AG
This is a rough game for Kansas and the best the Aggies have played this year. 4 goal victory over a ranked team is nothing to sneeze at.
aggiewilliford
Now that was a complete team effort. Nicely done ladies!
Gig Em Ags, God Bless Old Army and Marching in Behind the Band! Whooooopppp
Expert Analysis
AG
Walton with a great save on a ball that got past the keepet
CDub06
AG
Best win in a while. That was a complete team victory and a great bounce back.
Rambotx
Great Team win! Aggressive Aggie defense and our forwards putting pressure throughout the match on the Kansas defense is a formula for success.
Aston94
HiddenAg2
Well that was the team we expected to see this year. Some will say that it was just finishing chances in front of goal that is the difference, but in this game we saw by far the best midfield play and passing with purpose this season. When you keep the tempo moving with quick passes to players' feet and then move without the ball into space anticipating a pass back (and then actually receiving it), good things usually happen. Malherbe, Piper, and McCain all played well together and really dominated their opponents for most of the game. And then you add in the incredible play of Emily Bates, who looked like the Bates of old and outhustled everyone on the field all day on both ends of the pitch and scored a goal as well, then you have the makings of a 5-1 beatdown of a good Kansas squad. A&M simply overwhelmed the Jawhawks with their athleticism and talent. I wish we had been playing Florida today. That type of performance would have beaten every team in the country today outside of maybe Stanford and UCLA.

It's ironic that our best game of the year came with Harvey and Coach G out with suspensions. I'm really starting to wonder if Harvey's style of play, which favors long possession without passing to open players quickly who are making runs, might actually be disrupting the rhythm that her teammates want to play? Harvey really needs to emphasize the 1-2 touch/pass tempo that the team had today and see if we can keep this momentum in the midfield. Addie McCain had her best game today and really saw the field well. Malherbe continues her stellar play and was more active than she was on Friday night, slotting some great passes forward onto the forwards' feet instead of too far out in front. I still wonder if Ellis Field plays too fast and if we should let the grass grow a bit to help the ball grip the field better for us on those passes forward? Arietta had some good tackles and won a lot of balls early in the match, but she did have some unforced turnovers that could have been costly. Finally, Piper did a good job in the air and winning some 50/50 balls in important places in the midfield.

With Watt and Pounds coming off the bench, I don't think Kansas really anticipated how fast and determined they would be once they came into the game. They both played pretty well, but Watts needs to trust her speed a bit more and take the ball to the endline for crosses instead of attempting to juke a defender and run inside; that's not her skillset. Crabtree got the start and actually played her best game as well - she held the ball and made some good passes and had one good shot on goal. I probably wouldn't keep this strategy of bringing Watt/Pounds off the bench, but once in a while it's nice shot in the arm for the team.

The defense was solid, however, there were times when the play was panicked and sloppy when Kansas had the ball in the box. The Jawhawks' lone goal was world class and was defended pretty well, so not much you can but tip the hat on that one. I'm still concerned about the GK play as Morche doesn't look confident back there right now and is slow to react to some shots on goal. This is my single biggest concern going forward. I still think we should play 4 in the back, but the coaches seem determined to use this formation.

It sure is fun to watch when A&M puts the pedal down early, takes a lead and then is just relentless in attack for an entire game. And when you have a player like Bates with tremendous change of pace and quickness on the ball who can stretch a defense, you earn a lot more good chances on goal. She was on the right side of the field today and I think that made a big difference; she needs to stay at that position the rest of the season. So the bad loss on Friday was somewhat offset today with a brilliant performance and a big RPI win as well, but can the team keep this momentum and style of play going at Auburn? If this is how we play the rest of the season, A&M will win the SEC and be a high seed in the tourney.
Aggie Futbol
Well earned win. Moving the ball quickly is key. Too much individual play is too easy to defend.
RAB88
AG
Like this new player "Male-ERR-bee"
Diego
AG
Great win!
mullokmotx
AG
I was unable to watch the game live yesterday and now the ESPN replay is not working. One of my hopes for this team was that they average 2 goals a game and I thought there was no chance for that after 6 games but they proved me wrong by getting 5. Glad to see everyone who could play get in the game except for Olivia which makes me wonder if the coaches are thinking about red shirting her if they can. The KU coach said his team lacked energy and I wonder what time they got back from St. Louis after their OT game Friday night. But it looks like we came out with energy to show that Friday's game was the exception.
MROD92
coldmoose
blake2003
AG
Really good post Hidden. Agree with a lot of what you said. But I think your comment on Harvey might be a little off. I thought about this a lot yesterday, because I was just as baffled as you were at the ease at which the midfield seemed to play, and wondered how that could be without Harvey.

I think Harvey's game is fluid... she can make short passes of the give and go variety, or she can take the ball and push the defense head on. I think that's what makes her so good is her in-game situational awareness. What I'm wondering is, does everyone else on the field defer to her so much, because of her poise and leadership? And so during this game, without her, they were forced to be better decision makers, and essentially self-elevated their play? It was such a stark difference in *everyone* that I feel like it's something bigger than just Harvey.

Will be interesting to see how the team plays on Thursday with her return.

redd38
AG
I tend to agree with Hidden on Harvey. She usually holds on to the ball until she's double or triple teamed, which can be good but doesn't really support the flow we saw yesterday. Harvey's hold-till-double-teamed style is really only beneficial if she can find the teammate who's open as a result of her being double teamed, and that's the area of her game that needs to be improved. However, I don't necessarily think it's something SHE needs to improve, I think maybe teammates communicating to her about where to go with the ball needs to improve (since it's difficult to be schooling three girls AND find the open teammate).

But I think a mix of the two styles would be most effective.
HiddenAg2
I think what happens is that Harvey's teammates don't know exactly what she's going to do so they are not sure to anticipate a pass, make a run, or simply clear the area to let her dribble. There is some confusion there and I wish Harvey would let her teammates know before the game, based on the gameplan, what her intentions are for most of the touches she has that day. You see a lot of ball watching by the rest of the midfield when she has the ball, which doesn't lend itself to smooth passes through the middle of the field.
FalconRT90
We were developing this style of possession play during the spring games. We had great success during the spring. We had a very similar roster during the spring, which is why we had success then and Sunday. This is a coachable correction.
mullokmotx
AG
Just watched the replay. Impressed with Callyn coming in not having played much and having a solid game on the outside of the back line. Addie is looking better each game and I think she will keep starting in midfield. Stephanie is having at least an all conference season as she did a great job distributing the ball. Seemed like we should have scored 3 more times with about 25 minutes to play as we seemed to keep the ball in the offensive third for about 10 minutes straight. Brittany does a great job screening the keeper on corner kicks much the way Annie Kunz did.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.