******BTHO Depaul******

1,728 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by mullokmotx
CDub06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Let's get the game thread started since the match is about to start. I don't know what you guys would do without me.
redd38
AG
GAAAAAAA! I'M RUNNING LATE! DON'T START THE GAME WITHOUT ME!
redd38
AG
Ok, I'm here, we can start
Expert Analysis
AG
That anthem was painful
Here4goodSoccer
I think Malherbe really needs to move back central. She may be that extra oomph this team needs. Throw Bates out wide right and possibly move Ritchie up to the left mid. Unfortunately, this game isn't too exciting right now.

**and Ritchie actually moved there
Hand Of God
AG
Was that our worst half of the year? A very uninspired 45 minutes after a disappointing result on Friday. Offensively we are toothless. Not a single attacking player has created a dangerous chance. Completely out of sync in all aspects. DePaul has created the most dangerous moments despite looking largely inept in most areas. We are flirting with an overall disastrous weekend at the moment.
redd38
AG
One of the most uninspired halves of soccer I've ever seen. THREE shots! DePaul winning every ball.

Yikes.
Hand Of God
AG
redd38 said:

One of the most uninspired halves of soccer I've ever seen. THREE shots! DePaul winning every ball.

Yikes.

Looks like we are for once on the same page.
HiddenAg2
Next 45 minutes crucial to the season. Very poor first half.
redd38
AG
Hand Of God said:

redd38 said:

Yikes.

Looks like we are for once on the same page.

Surely the apocalypse is near
biobioprof
Is it just me, or are we even failing to connect on an unusual number of throw ins?
Expert Analysis
AG
Depaul had 2 good chances we had 1 in the first half. Prrtty bad soccer.
Piper not starting second half.
Expert Analysis
AG
That was good
redd38
AG
Finally some cooperation on offense and a goal
Expert Analysis
AG
Depaul has had some nice passing at times. 10 and 11 for them are pretty good.
Hand Of God
AG
What's the word on Jordan Hill?
redd38
AG
Hand Of God said:

What's the word on Jordan Hill?

I think she's just been sick
redd38
AG
They tried to single-team Miki and it results in a goal. 2-0 Aggies
Expert Analysis
AG
Shes not dressed along with 4 or 5 others.

Nice goal by harvey
Hand Of God
AG
Individual brilliance by Harvey. Also might have caused a knee injury with that juke.
redd38
AG
Aggies win 2-0
Hand Of God
AG
Good news: we won and looked a tad better in the 2nd half.

Bad news: a performance like this against a quality side will not come close to cutting it.
Rambotx
The physical OSU match on Friday definitely had an affect on the first half of play. The halftime adjustments/talk appeared to help focus the team for the Win.
FalconRT90
I agree with what has been said.

Good news, we are undefeated. We also have another weekend to get it together before we hit our first SEC match, Auburn Kittens, then a long week before we meet the Florida Geckos.

We finally had 2 players look composed in front of the goal. We have only one goal and some kind of freak goal against us, so defense looks strong and getting better. We have 3 defenders who can really clear the ball this year and have only 4 games together with a new goalie. We have many players playing after coming back from injury and are a little rusty. We saw a lot more confidence from the players in the second half Sunday too.

I do not think we are wrong in our thinking that this team has a great chance of success. We need to get back to what made this team look great during the spring; Quick accurate passing, attacking the outside thirds, and defense starting with the forwards (I dislike the bunker Friday!).

And do we have any Aggie Refs in Texas? It looks like all we get are Calf, Cub or Mutton Rider Refs.

This team usually gets better over the course of the season. For 3 years, including this one, at the beginning of the season, we were/are doom and gloom, yet some how we end up preforming, better towards the end. Elite 8 and last year playing USC, the National Champions, to penalty kicks should give us even more reason to believe that we must remain positive.

In the post interviews, I heard Phil, Phil, Phil, and I think we need to believe in the Coaches to get it on track, just like the players do. We are not where we want to be, yet having issues now will help us become stronger when it really matters in 2 weeks.

Here4goodSoccer
I would like to take a minute and say the coaches definitely read the game forums at half because I requested the switch of Malherbe, Bates, and Ritchie at half and it's exactly what happened!

I think Bates is much more suited to play outside on the right. The team tends to ignore the left (that I've noticed so far this season) and she was more of a threat in the second half in the first few minutes. Malherbe helped control the midfield more and I think that opened up Harvey's chances to move around. what do y'all think about the second half switches?

I'm still unsure about this 3 back defense, I have very little confidence they would be able to handle a player with MaCaskill like speed/skill. I wonder if the coaches are practicing a 4 back formation for those types of players.
HiddenAg2
Thank goodness A&M came out in the 2nd half with some energy because it was looking bleak at halftime. Obviously the Friday game, which felt like a loss, had an impact from a mental and physical standpoint, but DePaul is a very mediocre side and they won the 1st half and had the more dangerous chances. A&M had 3 shots in the first half and only finished with 8 overall, so that's really not acceptable for this group of players. For some reason the forwards and mids are not in sync like I expected and the actual shots on goal have been poor. But in the 2nd half you had 2 calmly taken goals from Watt and Harvey and everything seems much better when you win 2-0.

However, I'm concerned about what I've seen so far this season in regard to lack of possession and the very risky decision to play 3 in the back with players that do not have a lot of speed to keep up with opposing forwards during a counter-attack. I went back and watch all the games again and it was pretty remarkable that when A&M completed a minimum of 4 passes through the midfield into the attacking third, we almost always ended up with a good scoring opportunity. Unfortunately for about 90% of the play this season we cannot complete more than 1-2 passes before turning it over. It's amazing to me that you have players like Harvey, Bates, and Malherbe in the midfield and we cannot keep sustained possession. And the scary part is that we will face much better teams in the next month. I really think the coaches should rethink the 3-back set when we face better offenses in the SEC (or even against Kansas which beat USC this weekend) and go with 4 which the team seems much more comfortable playing in. If the mids don't get back quickly on counters, we're going to be hoping the other team just misses shots on goal.

It was good to see Ally Watt finally play up to her potential and with effort and she was one of the MVPs of the game. We need her to attack and play defense up top when she's in there. I'd like to see the team get back to basics of passing through the midfield and then utilizing some give-and-goes in the attacking third because with our speed it would be difficult to defend. We need much quicker and more accurate passing. Maybe emphasize the 2 touch drills (1 dribble, 1 pass) or 2 second rule to get the tempo moving faster through the midfield. Our goal should be to get wide as soon as possible, open up space in the middle, then cross into the box. If some of our players (outside of Piper) could learn how to head the ball on goal we would be much more dangerous as well.
Chef Demas 2020
AG
Jordan hill is red shirting
HiddenAg2
Tough blow for the defense that could have used her speed at outside back.
Rambotx
Hope the status for the other 4 walking wounded players is not that severe.
mullokmotx
AG
I was glad to see Claudette and Callyn get in the game. Hopefully we get a chance to see Olivia in a game.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.