***** Official USMNT vs. Costa Rica WCQ Thread *****

8,190 Views | 312 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AggieWonWon
aarjon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Honduras has Costly, Lozano, and a few others who sat out pretty much the whole cycle back.
Dre_00
Anyway, look forward to your inevitable collapse in the WC and then subsequent 4 years of crying about how you got robbed.
wangus12
AG
I'm gonna have to stop watching sports. Between the US, Aggie football and Arsenal, I'll be on suicide watch this fall
snowdog90
Hickory High said:

So someone who knows what they're talking about explain to me whose fault this is. Because this is completely unacceptable.

I think your premise is wrong. You may think it's unacceptable, but really, it's just soccer. Costa Rica is good. Their great keeper played great, our keeper did not. We didn't get a pk call that could have changed the game. Result, 0-2. It happens. There's a lot more games to play.
wangus12
AG
I think Howard moving to CO was a huge mistake. He has been average since imo
ja86
AG
Thanks for the options, it helps put things in perspective.
Hickory High
AG
snowdog90 said:

Hickory High said:

So someone who knows what they're talking about explain to me whose fault this is. Because this is completely unacceptable.

I think your premise is wrong. You may think it's unacceptable, but really, it's just soccer. Costa Rica is good. Their great keeper played great, our keeper did not. We didn't get a pk call that could have changed the game. Result, 0-2. It happens. There's a lot more games to play.

Not too many more games to play. The team is way farther behind than I thought they were. If you're telling me this team is a really just a bunch of losers and always was, then I'm done caring about this World Cup.
Basketball and Chain
AG
Hickory High said:

snowdog90 said:

Hickory High said:

Not too many more games to play. The team is way farther behind than I thought they were. If you're telling me this team is a really just a bunch of losers and always was, then I'm done caring about this World Cup.

We're not behind. We're still in a qualifying position, which is all that really matters.
tommyjohn
caleblyn
Must beat Honduras Tuesday.
tommyjohn
wangus12 said:

You could say that about anyone who has comeback to MLS from overseas. MLS throwing stupid money at our top level players has hurt our performance.
GrapevineAg
AG
We've played 1 more game than Panama, and are 1 point ahead of them in the table. They have the tougher remaining schedule - they still have to play us, Costa Rica and Mexico. I would expect us to pick up 6 points from Honduras and T&T, and that would pretty much lock up 3rd place, but I'm not sure anything's a given with this squad.
snowdog90
Hickory High said:

snowdog90 said:

Hickory High said:

USA is in 3rd place, qualifying position. All I'm saying is that a loss to Costa Rica does not mean the sky is falling. This team has talent, but they need to figure out how to play together.

I think they'll figure it out. Personally, I think Howard is not our best keeper anymore. Tonight maybe backs up that opinion. If the keepers were switched, USA probably wins 2-0. That's soccer. No need to panic yet.
MookieBlaylock
AG
The tv show portrayed this as a must win when in fact it is not

We played like crap altidore out is a bonus as Morris is way better

Pullicic was covered by 3 of not 4 defenders
Kid took 8 to 10 cheap fouls that 3 years from now will result in straight cards

Panic has not set in but a two nil at home is way worse than the 4 nil we took last year that got ze German fired

titanmaster_race
tommyjohn said:

wangus12 said:

You could say that about anyone who has comeback to MLS from overseas. MLS throwing stupid money at our top level players has hurt our performance.
ja86
AG
The problem is they aren't that good to get big money.

We need more talent. Central America controls us. Think about that...
ja86
AG
Morris is not way better, what the **** are you thinking.
tommyjohn
ja86 said:

The problem is they aren't that good to get big money.

We need more talent. Central America controls us. Think about that...

Good enough for MLS to give crazy money they would never see overseas. I don't blame the players for taking it they are doing what is best for them and their family.

Dempsey and Howard are only ones of recent who had enough skins on the wall to take a golden parachute MLS offered. Bradley and Altidore it just pisses me off from a comeptitive view point.
Mathguy64
AG
Realistically, Tim Howard is no longer an elite GK. Unfortunately Guzan Is never going to be his replacement. For the first time in my memory the USMNT does not have a superior quality GK.
MB19
AG
mathguy86 said:

Realistically, Tim Howard is no longer an elite GK. Unfortunately Guzan Is never going to be his replacement. For the first time in my memory the USMNT does not have a superior quality GK.
This. Howard will always be lauded for his single handed efforts in keeping us in the Belgium game at the '14 World Cup. But time and mileage has started to catch up to him, as it does to every player. Guzan is an able deputy, but we need to start considering that either one might not be the answer in goal, should we qualify for Russia.
PatAg
AG
We got some guys in the wings that have legit potential, remains to be seen if they can progress before the World Cup
wangus12
AG
At least Ireland can keep me somewhat satisfied
LeonardSkinner
wangus12 said:

At least Ireland can keep me somewhat satisfied

Phrasing!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I would troll, but you guys saved Mexico's asses in 2013.

Best of luck.
gig them
AG
GrapevineAg said:

I would expect us to pick up 6 points from Honduras and T&T

I'd love to agree... but both of those are on the road. Weird things happen on the road in CONCACAF.
GrapevineAg
AG
Fair point, we can still get CONCACAF'ed. Absolute worst case, we'll be in 4th with the playoff game for the 1/2 spot.
gig them
AG
So glad we got paired with Asia instead of CONEMBOL
Gigem Trevas
gig them said:

So glad we got paired with Asia instead of CONEMBOL

I was wrong.
Pahdz
Oceana/Asia if we are being specific
Mathguy64
AG
Could you imagine having to playoff with Argentina? The team that gets that kind of matchup is so screwed.
gig them
AG
If we had that kinda playoff in the cards, I'd be freaking the **** out right now.
PatAg
AG
17 - Mexico plays at CRC, home against T&T, at Honduras

14 - Costa Rica still plays home against Mexico, home against Honduras, and at Panama

8 - USA plays at Honduras, Home against Panama, at T&T

8 - Honduras plays home against USA, at CRC, home against Mexico

7 - Panama plays home against T&T, at USA, home against C&C

At this point, I think it's more likely Panama takes 4th, as that's a really rough finish for Honduras

Even if we finish with 2 wins and a draw (most likely finish in my mind, with 3 wins 0 losses, and 2 draws and a win being equally likely after) we would finish at 15pts. I see CRC getting more than one point in their last 3 games.

We would probably have to lose our next 2 games to not qualify, and even then we'd probably still finish with 11 points.

15 pts has historically been enough to autoqualify, from an article I read earlier this week on I think four four two.

So while it's bad that we didnt win or at least get a tie, not just for morale sake and building towards the world cup, it's not the end of the world.
ScottishFire
AG
This one still hurts today.
AggieWonWon
LOL people thinking MLS is the problem you think Liga FPD is that much better? How many Costa Rican players play in the MLS?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.