What's going on at Barcelona?

2,483 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AGC
Gigem Trevas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The summer has been nothing short of a debacle for the Catalan giants. Publicly bidding for Veratti and PSG responds by activating Neymar's release clause for the biggest transfer since Cristiano Ronaldo. Two transfer sagas that have got them nowhere with Coutinho and Dembele both being placed as not for sale despite massive 100MM bids. Signing Paulinho from China for 40MM after just being sold to them from Tottenham for 14MM. Then just in the last few days the President lied to the members of Barcelona saying Messi had renewed his contract but hadn't. I can't seem to figure out how a club this big is being run so very poorly. As crazy as it may seem I could see Messi leaving at the end of his contract for one of the Manchester clubs due to the poor future and internal problems of the club at this point of his career.
exp
AG
Don't know but I'm enjoying it. They're still a top 6 club in the world probably but the momentum is hugely negative and the gap with Real is massive.

Only thing that will sink them is if Messi leaves as you suggested, which is entirely possible after this season with his contract ending.
byfLuger41
AG
Messi is going to London.
Dre_00
Messi is going to City and is gonna get paaaaaaaaaiiiid.
gig them
AG
Turns out, it's not Mes que un club.

It's just un club.
Mike Elko
AG
They're so afraid of RM, they don't know what to do... Shaking in their proverbial boots.
AGC
AG
Lots of factors.

Their second team isn't producing the talent it did. They were spoiled with their core of Messi, xavi, and iniesta but those guys have aged a lot in 10 years (obviously). It's amazing how much Neymar covered up their lack of depth and allowed them to rotate against average sides. I didn't think losing one player would make such a difference.

It seems like they've missed on a lot of signings too. It's been four years since Suarez and Neymar joined and who else has been a regular star that they've signed? Can you name any despite always being active in the transfer market?

There's speculation Bartomeu overpaid for Paulinho because he has/wants business interests in China. I didn't look into the details but that's what Spanish press is reporting.

We already discussed that some clubs have WC leverage with players that they normally wouldn't (Coutinho) and knowing they have Neymar money means they'll be overpaying no matter what so why not play hardball.
Gigem Trevas
Imagine if they had Alexis still to fill the whole at LW.
gambochaman
AG
Bartomeu is one of the worst things to happen to the club....the front office is a dumpster fire right now
time to bring Laporta back
AGC
AG
Gigem Trevas said:

Imagine if they had Alexis still to fill the whole at LW.

Scary. It would make them a good team but still they have the same weaknesses. Pique gives up soft goals. The first super copa game he had the OG and cristiano and Asensio took their shots right in front of him. Their defense is suspect.
Gigem Trevas
AGC
AG
Petty doesn't look go on them does it?
gig them
AG
Their complete and utter inability to deal with someone leaving is getting a little old.

Yes, someone dared choose a club besides Barcelona. Let it go.
gambochaman
AG
Yeah that was stupid
i just saw the signed Di Maria

Meh
Gigem Trevas
gambochaman said:

Yeah that was stupid

Meh

Source?
Gigem Trevas
Reading Barcelona are interested in Lanzini from West Ham. Dembele--->Coutinho--->Lanzini
AGC
AG
gambochaman said:

Yeah that was stupid

Meh

Supposedly was a hack.
gambochaman
AG
yep...thank goodness...
aarjon
Dang! I didn't want him stealing anymore of Draxler's minutes
chjoak
AG
aarjon said:

Dang! I didn't want him stealing anymore of Draxler's minutes
Draxler has been told he can leave
Aggie_3
It's beautiful watching them fall apart
Gigem Trevas
Aggie_3 said:

It's beautiful watching them fall apart
Gigem Trevas
Dembele for 150MM is being reported today as a done deal.
gambochaman
AG
not bad...overpaid, but I guess thats the market these days
AGC
AG
gambochaman said:

not bad...overpaid, but I guess thats the market these days

Your market with Neymar money, really. We almost splashed for Mbappe but I imagine PSG was a big part of driving that up as well.
Gigem Trevas
Dembele official.
Aggie_3
Gigem Trevas said:

Dembele official.
still doesn't fix the fact that the defense blows
Gigem Trevas
Aggie_3 said:

Gigem Trevas said:

Dembele official.

Pique.
Aggie_3
Gigem Trevas said:

Aggie_3 said:

Gigem Trevas said:

Dembele official.

Pique.

He's been the biggest problem
Gigem Trevas
Aggie_3 said:

Gigem Trevas said:

Aggie_3 said:

Gigem Trevas said:

Dembele official.

Pique.

He's been the biggest problem

He's been overrated for years.
Gigem Trevas
Looks like Barcelona is trying to loan Andre Gomes and paying his entire wages just to get rid of him from the first team this season.
jeffdjohnson
Not sure where to post this question. I have a chance to go see either FC Barcelona v SD Eibar on 9/19 or Real Madrid v Real Betis on 9/20. I'm a fake futbol fan who mostly watches the World Cup and plays Fifa every now and then. Which game should I see and which team should I t-shirt bandwagon on? I realize this is a bit like asking if I should be a Yankees or Red Sox fan and possibly an obnoxious, borderline offensive question.
Gigem Trevas
jeffdjohnson said:

Not sure where to post this question. I have a chance to go see either FC Barcelona v SD Eibar on 9/19 or Real Madrid v Real Betis on 9/20. I'm a fake futbol fan who mostly watches the World Cup and plays Fifa every now and then. Which game should I see and which team should I t-shirt bandwagon on? I realize this is a bit like asking if I should be a Yankees or Red Sox fan and possibly an obnoxious, borderline offensive question.

Real Madrid.
datrixstunna
AG
jeffdjohnson said:

Madrid x 2!
gambochaman
AG
Cant go wrong
In terms of opposition, Betis is much more of a challenge than Eibar
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.