NBC Gold for PL?

2,213 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Bryan98
Aston94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Appears that NBC will no longer stream all EPL games as part of your cable package. Now have to buy NBC Gold if you want to watch the games not aired on NBCSN or NBC. Sucks for the fans of lesser teams and those of us who enjoy watching a lot of games, especially during relegation time....
Dre_00
It's not just lesser teams. Apparently every team will be on NBC Sports Gold at least 3 times this season. $50 for the season isn't horrible but methinks NBC isn't going to keep the price there.
Mathguy64
AG
Pretty crappy of NBC to drop this nugget the day the season starts.
Gigem Trevas
mathguy86 said:

This has been known for awhile.
http://soccer.nbcsports.com/2017/06/27/premier-league-pass-to-launch-on-nbc-sports-gold/
Mathguy64
AG
Gigem Trevas said:

mathguy86 said:

This has been known for awhile.
http://soccer.nbcsports.com/2017/06/27/premier-league-pass-to-launch-on-nbc-sports-gold/
Pretty crappy of Dre to drop this nugget the day the season starts.

FIFMyself.
AustinScubaAg
AG
This was stupid of NBC. The fact that all the game were available was helping them to grow viewership. This is a money grab and probably won't succeed.
wangus12
AG
I know plenty of places online to watch them for free. I've been using NBC, but it looks like I'm back to other sites
byfLuger41
AG
Are these other sites reliable, in English and have zero pop ups?
Aston94
AG
I will probably pay out the $50 for the year.

Does that get the games back onto DirecTV for me? Or do I have to watch through an on-line streaming device?
byfLuger41
AG
I'm sure it's an online streaming device. I don't think this is like NFL Red Zone where you call your cable provider and add the service.

This is along the lines of HBO Go.

Not having EPL games was going to be a huge issue for me after I ditch cable in a few months. Now that problem is resolved.
Out in Left Field
AG
Seem like a good idea if you don't pay for it already. But if you have a cable package with NBCSports, this should be included. Screw them.
Mathguy64
AG
This is right in line with Disney/espn and their announcement earlier in the week. I think we are about to see an explosion of individual streaming services.
wangus12
AG
mathguy86 said:

This is right in line with Disney/espn and their announcement earlier in the week. I think we are about to see an explosion of individual streaming services.
Which will lead to the regression back to regular cable services. Going around and paying 15-50 bucks for each service will defeat the purpose of cutting the cord
Dre_00
Cutting the cord already doesn't make sense if you actually watch a wide variety of channels. But if you're only interested in a few, then it works well.

Anyway, I loved the free app feature but I'm not surprised they've monetized it. It really only affects diehards or fans of lesser teams. I don't think a new soccer fan is going to run away from the game because their new team is only viewable 30 times during the season unless they pay an extra $50.
gougler08
AG
Dre_00 said:

Cutting the cord already doesn't make sense if you actually watch a wide variety of channels. But if you're only interested in a few, then it works well.

Anyway, I loved the free app feature but I'm not surprised they've monetized it. It really only affects diehards or fans of lesser teams. I don't think a new soccer fan is going to run away from the game because their new team is only viewable 30 times during the season unless they pay an extra $50.

DIRECTV now or PS Vue + HBO Go + Netflix is $100/month including internet. Way cheaper than what my Uverse bill had gotten up to after using them for 4 years and I still have over 100 channels plus all the Netflix content. It's a huge savings for us right now
PJD Ag 10
AG
Watching an awesome Huddersfield debut for a mere 4.16 per month
gig them
AG
I thought this, too... until I realized the Premier League Review Show is stuck behind the paywall. I love that show, and I rely on it heavily to get caught up after most PL weekends.

This whole thing kinda sucks
Gigem Trevas
Smith&Co1970 said:

Are these other sites reliable, in English and have zero pop ups?

Text me.
Bryan98
AG
Soccer Streams has been great for me for the price of free. There are a few pop ups, and some MLS streams aren't great, but for Premier League games there will be a bunch of very solid streams.
Dre_00
And now reports that Turner will put 80% of their CL games behind a pay wall when they start their broadcast next season.
gougler08
AG
Money grubbing *******s...all of them
byfLuger41
AG
Dre_00 said:

And now reports that Turner will put 80% of their CL games behind a pay wall when they start their broadcast next season.

Could this be related to financial fair play? Clubs are in cahoots with cable as a money generating source?
Dre_00
I think more likely is UEFA and the individual leagues encouraging subscriptions so that broadcasters make more money and therefore pay more for TV rights.
gig them
AG
... are they actively trying to drive people away from cable subscriptions? That's about the only sense I can make from this.

Once Turner has the CL, I (currently a pretty heavy cable subscriber) will still have to pay for two additional standalone services to get my soccer? Crazy.
Mathguy64
AG
I actually think it's in response to people who are doing more and more streaming. The more cord cutters there are, the more people there are who are in the market to purchase individual streams. Sports are going to be like this all over the place.
Out in Left Field
AG
The problem with these sports streaming services they're coming up with is that they are not true stand alones. They pair with cable or you only get half the games...
byfLuger41
AG

They took our jerbs soccer!
PJD Ag 10
AG
It's definitely not to make more money. It's to make up for all the money they've lost from canceled cable subscriptions.
Bryan98
AG
PJD Ag 10 said:

It's definitely not to make more money. It's to make up for all the money they've lost from canceled cable subscriptions.

If that were true then they should keep the same level of access for cable subscribers and just have these new offerings for cord cutters.

I agree with those who are saying there's less and less incentive to keep cable. You can get the ESPNs and FS1 from Sling or whoever, over the air local channels for free, and then add on whatever other sports packages you require for cheaper than a decent cable package.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.