***** Official USMNT v Nicaragua Match Thread *****

4,826 Views | 131 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by akm91
PJYoung
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What time is our match on Wednesday night? 5 or 8?
PatAg
AG
PJYoung said:

What time is our match on Wednesday night? 5 or 8?
I dont think we know until the late games end.
aggiesoccer#1fan
AG
U.S. match will be at 8 p.m. CDT. The only uncertainty is the opponent.
jeffk
AG
Which terribly obscure Fox network channel will the game be on?
aggiesoccer#1fan
AG
All the quarterfinals are on FS1, whatever that is.
PatAg
AG
wish we could know what semifinal we would get
aggiesoccer#1fan
AG
In the semifinals, the U.S. would play Costa Rica or Panama at Jerry World on Saturday at 8:30 p.m. CDT.
PatAg
AG
aggiesoccer#1fan said:

In the semifinals, the U.S. would play Costa Rica or Panama at Jerry World on Saturday at 8:30 p.m. CDT.
so we are locked in for jerry world if we win in the quarters? awesome
HTownAg98
aggiesoccer#1fan said:

All the quarterfinals are on FS1, whatever that is.

It's the channel where all the Big 12 football games are played.
aggie7911
might have to go to this one if its in Dallas.
aggie7911
FXX is this a new one? Sounds like a nudiy channel.
Gigem Trevas
PatAg said:

aggiesoccer#1fan said:

so we are locked in for jerry world if we win in the quarters? awesome

Both semifinals are at Cowboys Stadium like they were in 2013.
The Pilot
AG
Semifinals are at Jerry World and Rose Bowl.
Gigem Trevas
The Pilot said:

Semifinals are at Jerry World and Rose Bowl.

Oh. Four years ago they did the doubleheader where America played first and won then Mexico lost.
boogieman
AG
May try to make that!
boogieman
AG
Quote:

Goalkeepers Tim Howard and Jesse Gonzalez, midfielders Michael Bradley and Darlington Nagbe and forwards Jozy Altidore and Clint Dempsey join the roster. The six players replace goalkeepers Brad Guzan and Sean Johnson, midfielders Alejandro Bedoya, Cristian Roldan and Kelyn Rowe, and forward Dom Dwyer.
6 subs for the knockout stage. Looks like we're bringing in the big boys.
Mathguy64
AG
Interesting that Arena kept Hamid and released Guzan. My guess is Gonzales gets capped at the first opportunity. I know it's a one time change but it's FIFA so who knows.
PatAg
AG
boogieman said:

Quote:

Goalkeepers Tim Howard and Jesse Gonzalez, midfielders Michael Bradley and Darlington Nagbe and forwards Jozy Altidore and Clint Dempsey join the roster. The six players replace goalkeepers Brad Guzan and Sean Johnson, midfielders Alejandro Bedoya, Cristian Roldan and Kelyn Rowe, and forward Dom Dwyer.
6 subs for the knockout stage. Looks like we're bringing in the big boys.
dont think i agree with replacing Rowe and Dwyer..unless it was some sort of agreement with their clubs
wangus12
AG
Agreed. I want to see more of both and this is a good chance to do that
stillmerk
AG
Odds Jozy comes up with an injury?
akm91
AG
I guess Garza is down the pecking order for LB behind Villafana and Morrow at this point. I'm very interested to see the back 4 for the QF. I hope to see Lichaj, Miyazga, Besler and Villafana start.

Curious to see how the midfield shakes out. I'm assuming Bradley and Nagbe are automatic staters.
AgGrad99
AG
I guess we don't need Guzan riding the pine behind Howard, when he could be playing for his club.

I am surprised about Rowe and Dwyer also...especially Rowe. I was really impressed with how active he was.

I'll be curious to watch our defense going forward. We were a complete mess the first couple of games. They didnt get challenged much in the 3rd game, so I dont know if they played better, or if our ball control just made it look that way. I know this is our B team, but I'm a bit concerned about that going into the next year.
akm91
AG
I think Nagbe has a lot fewer caps than the others brought it so this is an opportunity to get him more time with the starters. Unfortunately for Rowe, they both play the same position.
Aston94
AG
Guzan was agreed to before the Gold Cup that he would be released back to Atlanta after the group stage, same with Sean Johnson.

Honestly, I don't ever need to see Guzan in goal for the USMNT again. He is a known quantity, will make some great saves but has a bone-head play or two every game. Hamid, Gonzalez and Howard are the three that should get all USMNT reps from here on out.

gig them
AG
Aston94 said:

Honestly, I don't ever need to see Guzan in goal for the USMNT again.

Agreed. He had some good moments for us, but it's time to move on.
oh no
AG
what does the player pool look like at GK after Howard and Guzan? Think they are both locks for WC roster next year at this point?

Other GK's that have been on a senior team roster so far in 2017: Hamid, Horvath, Bingham, Rimando, Robles.

Is Jesse Gonzalez (zero caps) one of the next in line now that he's official/eligible? Does he jump most of those other guys right away? ...Does anyone know if Spring, TX's own Tyler Deric is on the USMNT radar at all?
Aston94
AG
I agree that Howard and Guzan are likely locks for next year's WC, right now. But Hamid looked better than Guzan in his GC appearance, albeit against limited shots.

I think one veteran keeper (Howard) and two up and coming keepers (Hamid and Gonzalez for example) should be our normal roster. I would prefer Hamisd and Gonzalez get all the reps now rather than Guzan, so they can pass him for WC 2018.
akm91
AG
Won't see any more of Robles and Rimando on the national team going forward. Their age works against them. I guess the next tier after Howard and Guzan are Horvath, Hamid, Gonzales and Johnson?

Would love to see a couple of them get all the friendlies minutes going forward just to have more "proven" depth at the international level.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.