Newcastle United 2017-2018 Thread

9,995 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by GrapevineAg
GrapevineAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We're Ba-ack!

Glad to see them up in the top-flight of English football again. One month from today, it's a tough welcome-back, though, as they face Spurs at St. James' Park. Howay the Lads!

[Yeah, I realize I'll probably be the only one on this thread.]
Dre_00
I have a fondness of Newcastle United as several family members who live in Durham, UK are huge Newcastle fans. In fact, the first game I ever saw in England was in St. James' Park against S****horpe (back when Newcastle last took a dip in the Championship pools).

They are not my team but I do hope they do well. Might even try and make it to the game against City if I can find a STH who isn't using theirs.
akm91
AG
I'll watch them because of Yedlin.
Old School Rucking
AG
Welcome back! It's not the same without the Geordies!
CrockerAg98
AG
I'm with you. I still curse the ******* that turned me on to Newcastle (because following A&M sports wasn't a big enough kick in the junk), but I'm with you.

AMB99
AG
When my son I and started to get more into soccer a few years ago it was decided we needed to pick someone to root for and it shouldn't be the big clubs because that's just too easy.

I think it may have been someone on TexAgs who made the NUFC to TAMU connection for loyalty and passion of fanbase vs. performance so Newcastle was my choice...then they proceeded to get relegated...glad they're back up in the EPL.
byfLuger41
AG
Join the EPL fnatasy, puffs!
GrapevineAg
AG
That was such a stupid thing to do by Shelvey.
GrapevineAg
AG
Not a good debut for the Toon.
GrapevineAg
AG
2 games, 0 points, 0 goals. Hope they can pick up some players or figure something out, or else this stint in the top flight will be short-lived.
GrapevineAg
AG
The lads are looking much better today, although it's only West Ham.
Mathguy64
AG
WHU looks lost. I would not be surprised to see Slaven Bilic as the first managerial casualty as early as this week.
GrapevineAg
AG
2 in a row! Now they're looking down at Arsenal in the table (lol), and they have a couple of winnable matches ahead. The primary goal this season is to stay up, but I don't think that's good enough. I'd imagine they could/should finish in the top half, or maybe top 12.
Dre_00
They are not finishing top half this season. And with Mike Ashley as the owner, they may never finish top half.
GrapevineAg
AG
They have finished in the top half twice (5th in 2012 I believe) with Ashley as the owner. Of course, they've also been relegated twice during his ownership. They're not Chelsea, I'm just saying I think that finishing in the top half is a realistic goal.
Dre_00
5 years ago...and present day Mike Ashley has made it clear he only intends to invest enough to get that EPL TV money or to get promoted out of the Championship to get that EPL TV money before the parachute payment runs out. Just ask your manager how he feels about Ashley's investment.

They might finish top half but it will be in spite of Ashley if they do. I think 15th or so is more realistic.
GrapevineAg
AG
Make no mistake, I'm no fan of Ashley either. My real concern is that they will be in the top half and then he'll sell off some talent, like he's done in the past, and then they will fall. I guess only time will tell.
Socrates05
AG
I love that this less a thread. You made a terrible choice in ever supporting this joke of a team, but you're sticking with it and I respect that.
GrapevineAg
AG
3 in a row after taking care of business against Stoke today. Will probably be 5th in the table after Spurs play the Swans. I don't expect them to stay up this high, but it's a good recovery from the first 2 weeks.
GrapevineAg
AG
Didn't get to watch either of the last 2 matches. Very disappointed in the loss to Brighton & Hove but pretty darn happy with a draw vs. Liverpool. I'd like to think they can take 2 of the next 3: Southampton, Crystal Palace, and Burnley.
GrapevineAg
AG
This is fantastic news!

Newcastle United up for sale

Hopefully the new boss won't be the same as the old boss.
CrockerAg98
AG
This is great news! But who is going to buy it? I'd rather it not be the Chinese, or another group from the Emirates, but I have no idea who will step up to the plate.

Gotta be better than Ashley, though, right? Right?
moneyag7
Figured I would come in to give an update on yalls team. New article states that PCP Capital Partners, led by Amanda Staveley signed a confidentially agreement. Article about it can be found here.
GrapevineAg
AG
If true, this would be interesting...

Newcastle takeover: Rafa Benitez set to be handed huge transfer war chest

Quote:

During the last transfer window Benitez openly questioned Ashley about what he thought were false promises over what funds would be available to him.

The Spaniard who has mainly had to shop in the bargain basement was ordered to keep quiet by the Newcastle hierarchy on the orders of Ashley but that could be around to change.
Quote:

And Benitez will be given substantial funds on new players as much as 500 million in the next two transfer windows to turn Newcastle into title contenders.
GrapevineAg
AG
Not a huge fan of Shelvey, but that was the best/smartest game I've seen from him all season.
LondonOllie
Great job, Magpies!
Terk
GrapevineAg
AG
Up 1-0 at the half against Leicester... long way to go but 3 pts would be big. Would put them in the top half of the table and at least 8-10 pts clear of the relegation zone.

Howay the Lads!
GrapevineAg
AG
Vardy gets a late goal to make it interesting, but NUFC hangs on for a 2-1 win.
GrapevineAg
AG
Another big 3 points today - that's 4 Ws in a row. With 5 games left, they should be safe from relegation. Hope they give Rafa more to work with next season.
GrapevineAg
AG
Howard the Toon! Finished in the top half of the table - pretty successful return to the EPL.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.