*** Official Gold Cup 2017 Thread ***

7,343 Views | 90 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jeffk
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Figured we'd have one big thread for random chat and the lesser watched games. Bigger games will of course get their own *****Official***** threads.

Games kick off TODAY and air on several networks including Fox and UniMas.

First bit of interesting news we can discuss:
akm91
AG
I know it's not Gold Cup related but what did Jarra get for that elbow?
jeffk
AG
A close line and a powerbomb
dcaggie04
AG
I'm assuming you don't think Canada/French Guiana and Honduras/Costa Rica games today count.
Jason_Ag98
AG
The games actually start tonight (Friday) with Canada vs. French Guiana at 6 followed by Costa Rica vs. Honduras at 8:30. Both FS2.
jeffk
AG
Today, sorry!
gougler08
AG
akm91 said:

I know it's not Gold Cup related but what did Jarra get for that elbow?

He probably won't get anything since he was carded in the match. Retroactive punishment will normally only be brought when a player is not punished during the match (they don't want to shame the ref)
jeffk
AG
Martinique up 2-0 on Nicaragua.
boogieman
AG
Fast start for mexi v Salvador.
1-1
Mathguy64
AG
Mex GK makes some horrible decisions on clearing balls. Lucky not to be down 2-1.
gougler08
AG
mathguy86 said:

Mex GK makes some horrible decisions on clearing balls. Lucky not to be down 2-1.

Did Mexico send the B team as well?
boogieman
AG
Still with the PUUUUUUUUUTTTOOOOO yell.
SEC Ags
AG
Looks like it. I don't recognize any of their guys.
Mathguy64
AG
Yes.
Mathguy64
AG
And the Mex B team is just as adept at kicking players as their A team.
sherminator
boogieman said:

Stop being a snowflake
boogieman
AG
sherminator said:

boogieman said:

Stop being a snowflake
PUUUUUUUUTTTTOOOOOOOOO!
Gigem Trevas
boogieman said:

If that's the worst thing the Mexico fans do during a game I'm fine with it.
Bryan98
AG
Gigem Trevas said:

boogieman said:

There has never been a game where that was the worst thing Mexico fans did! XD
Gigem Trevas
Bryan98 said:

Gigem Trevas said:

boogieman said:

There has never been a game where that was the worst thing Mexico fans did! XD

That's the joke.
JJxvi
AG
So teams are just throwing games by playing ineligible players, huh?
LeonardSkinner
Is this the worst match of the Gold Cup? French Guiana has one good player, who shouldn't be playing; Honduras has not played well; and the pitch looks terrible.
Mathguy64
AG
So if I understand the Rules of Competition correctly they couldn't stop him from playing, but by doing so FRench Guiana basically forfeits 3-0. I wonder if that GD will matter for Honduras advancing.
JJxvi
AG
This is a tournament where you have to register a squad. It's absurd that it could get past that point.
chjoak
AG
Yeah, I don't get how CONCACAF let them register an ineligible player to begin with.
Mathguy64
AG
It certainly will help Honduras if they stick with a 3-0 forfeit. That's a big GD. Normally forfeits are 1-0 so as to minimize that GD advantage.
Mathguy64
AG
Typical CONCACAF. They have to go to a committee tomorrow to decide. I'm sure Honduras is preparing their case to get the 3 points and 3 goals to make sure they move on to knockouts. They are preparing their case by filling it with unmarked $50s and $100s.
aggiesoccer#1fan
AG
It was my understanding a player could represent French Guiana (or Martinique, etc.) in a CONCACAF tournament and also represent France. Perhaps it's more complicated in that a player can only go from the overseas department to France and not vice versa?

Malouda helped French Guiana qualify for the Gold Cup and now he's ineligible? This wasn't an issue when Jocelyn Angloma, who had played for France for several years, helped Guadeloupe make the semifinals of the 2007 Gold Cup. The only controversy I remember at the time was that Guadeloupe would not be allowed to compete in the Confederations Cup if they were to win the Gold Cup.

Correction: Malouda didn't play in any of the 6 qualifying matches that got French Guiana to the Caribbean Cup finals, the final 4 teams who also qualify for the Gold Cup, but he did play in that Caribbean Cup. He featured in both their semifinal shootout loss to Jamaica and in their third place win against Martinique.
Mathguy64
AG
Somehow this seems really messed up. Players on national teams have player cards in the same way youth club players do. They are checked along with the roster and equipment in the locker room before the game by the referee crew just like you do for clubs. The rules for the tournament state that player cards are issued to players in accordance with FIFA laws and regulations. So being capped for France makes him ineligible. Not just to play but to even be issued a player card. And the rosters (provisional and 23 man rosters) had to be submitted 35 days in advance. If they gave him a player card he's eligible. If he didn't have one he can't even sit on the bench because he's not even on the roster.
jeffk
AG
So it's another CONCACAFiasco?
akm91
AG
Blue star for you!
Bryan98
AG
Some folks are talking about how Canada will get a less advantageous place in the knock out rounds because of Honduras going from a scoreless draw to a 3-0 win when CONCACAF adjudicates the matter of French Guiana playing an ineligible Malouda, so I just want to point out that CONCACAF is now being run by a Canadian.

1) Should have made sure the eligibility rules were clear well before the tournament.

2) Should have said something when French Guiana included Malouda in their 40-man roster.

3) Should have said something when French Guiana included Malouda in their 23-man roster.

4) Should have disallowed Malouda from participating in the game.

Seriously, I have no idea why they would just let him play. They already knew he was ineligible. Bizarre, bizarre situation.

That's so CONCACAF-y!
An Ag in CO
AG
Quote:

The former Chelsea and Olympique Lyon player, who did not play in last year's qualifying matches for the Gold Cup, was born in French Guiana and made his debut for them at the Caribbean Cup last month. However, he was not selected for their opening Gold Cup match against Canada, which they lost 4-2.

Similar to the French Caribbean islands of Martinique and Guadeloupe, French Guiana is a member of Concacaf but not of soccer's governing body Fifa.
damfino
On a different note: that 16-year-old Davies for Canada is sure a spark plug. I hope he's not severely injured. Looked like he rolled his ankle.

3 goals so far!
stillmerk
AG
Panama only wakes up after giving up a goal?
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.