Aggie Soccer Countdown

8,909 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by randy828
mullokmotx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
According to the TAMU Academic Calendar today is the first day of the second summer session so the whole team is probably on campus since most of the players are here since they can be going to class and begin official practices during the session. I think they can begin practice 21 days before the first game so the first practice should be about July 28.
The roster on 12thman.com has 25 players, 1 less than last year, with 8 newcomers. Simply based on what I saw in the spring my projected starting 11 would be:
GK Cosette
D Jordan, McKayla, Briana Alston, Kendall
M Mikaela, Stephanie, Grace Piper
F Haley, Ally, Emily

A bunch of players did not play in the spring or were limited in how much they did play. I do think we may have a lot of depth at midfield and forward perhaps matching what we had in 2014. Very few of the midfielders and forwards played more than 35 minutes in the first half of games that year because G could send in Mikaela, Stephanie, Haley and Janae.
mullokmotx
AG
All White Kit website had the following NWSL 2019 draft projection:

36. Emily Bates MF (AMC), F (CF) Texas A&M

A very tricky player to grade, as Bates has had injury problems throughout the first few years of her career in College Station. However, Bates definitely has shown what she means to the Aggies through two seasons, as when in the lineup and healthy, the offense has looked infinitely more dangerous than when she's been absent. After a seven goal, six assist rookie showing, A&M faithful likely dreamt of a potential double digit return, but the injury bug bit Bates hard as a sophomore. Injury would cost Bates nearly a month of the league season, and that in turn almost cost the Aggies a spot in the NCAA Tournament. When in the lineup, Bates did chip in with five goals, though mostly against the lesser sides on A&M's plate, and saw her assist total dip to just one. Durability questions are now a major red flag, but if Bates can stay healthy, you can probably bump her value up at least ten spots.
redd38
AG
Grace Cory, Amethyst Kelly, and Quinn Murphy are missing from the roster. (Mia Hummel too, but we already knew that one).
HiddenAg2
Murphy leaving is a bit surprising since we never saw her play but the numbers are tight for playing time.

I think Arrieta may start in the midfield due to her speed over Piper. Lopez Fuentes may win the outside back role over Ritchie as well. Remember she was a solid player for Mexico last year at the U-17 WC and she is a good offensive player when she pushes up into the attack.

I think the 3 forwards will be the best group we've ever fielded. That is an elite offensive attack.
mullokmotx
AG
I have not seen anything about Grace Cory, Amy Kelly and Quinn Murphy except they are not on the roster today. May have to wait until the first official practice to see who is actually there.
Kate Hajdu played in the last spring game and she was playing great before her injury. Jenna Byers was injured in that last spring game.
I just hope we can score a lot more and that may allow G to play more players.
Diego
AG
This will be one of the most talented and deepest teams ever fielded by Coach G. Let's hope for good health and some good breaks. If so, watch out Orlando!
Serious Lee
what are the 4 teams that are projected to be in orlando at this point?
HiddenAg2
Uncle Gunnysack said:

what are the 4 teams that are projected to be in orlando at this point

Penn State, Stanford, UCLA, North Carolina, Florida St, Texas A&M, Notre Dame, Duke, Virginia and West Virginia are the pre-season favorites. Right now I would pick Penn State to win the title.
mullokmotx
AG
Didn't Penn State have 3 or 4 players on the USA U20 team with Ally Watt?
Penaltykick
Agree Penn St is the likely favorite right now. Stanford and UCLA close behind. Handful of others (including the Aggies) definitely in the mix.
LovefortheGame
Aggies should be really good this year. Should win SEC. There will be a lot of talent. Doubt Arrieta's speed will get her a spot in the midfield as there is too much talent there. Piper's lack of speed may be an issue for her, but if they play 2 holding mids, her size and strength will be an asset. In Spring they practiced and played with a 3-5-2. Defense will be competitive with new arrivals, especially if they go to a 3 back formation. Byers will likely not return until October. Bates looks as healthy as she has ever been. Hajdu is back and has been playing semi-pro and practicing with boys team this summer. Do not forget Smith who just arrived and is almost as fast as Ally. Be fun to see 2 players with that kind of speed up top. Hard to defend and opens up midfield. Not sure who will get the nod at goalie. But, there is great depth and it will bode well, especially later in the season when all of the players can use a rest before entering into post-season. It should be fun to watch.
HiddenAg2
I agree on Smith. Need to keep an eye on her, she could surprise some folks and get a lot of playing time this season. If we do only play 3 in the back it will be interesting to see where Lopez Fuentes will play because she is talented.
FalconRT90
The only line up anyone should be considering is the HiddenAg2 starting XI. Does anyone know why?

G - Morche'
D - Schmidt, Paulson, Alston, Davis
M - Hajdu, Piper, McCain
F - Crabtree, Watt, Pounds

Hint: 70.2

Looking at this spring, I think we will run a 3-5-2 and have more of a possession game. We have so much depth, these player will be coming into the season battling for a starting role. I am hoping with the new schedule format (Thursday/Sunday) and the depth, we can keep the player healthy into the College Cup Finals!

redd38
AG
FalconRT90 said:

The only line up anyone should be considering is the HiddenAg2 starting XI. Does anyone know why?

G - Morche'
M - Hajdu, Piper, McCain

Looking at this spring, I think we will run a 3-5-2 and have more of a possession game. We have so much depth, these player will be coming into the season battling for a starting role. I am hoping with the new schedule format (Thursday/Sunday) and the depth, we can keep the player healthy into the College Cup Finals!

I'm not sure what you're getting at, but I'm sure that won't be the starting lineup.
Carnwellag2
FalconRT90 said:

G - Morche'
M - Hajdu, Piper, McCain

so you say they will use a 3-5-2 ; but list your probable starters in a 4-3-3; OK

Bates/ Harvey???
Penaltykick
I don't envision a regular starting lineup without Harvey, Malherbe and Bates, if they are all healthy.
Rambotx
LovefortheGame
I agree with Penaltykick! But, we will have many more options and weapons this year and that will be fun to watch. Gig em!
Jess67
AG
Penaltykick said:

I don't envision a regular starting lineup without Harvey, Malherbe and Bates, if they are all healthy.
I agree we will not start the season without Harvey, Malherbe, Bates and possibly Richie starting. I do believe there are 2 or three freshmen that could break into the starting lineup and we will probably see more playing time for the bench this year. This should keep our better players fresh for the run in the SEC and NCAA.
Jess67
HiddenAg2
I don't know what the coaches will decide, but I'd go with a lineup like this:

F - Watt, Bates, Pounds
M - Arrieta, Harvey, Malherbe
D - Lopez, Alston, Paulson, Hill
G - Morche

Obviously a 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 might switch out a few players better suited to those formations. But I think the defense is going to be stellar and I'd put as many offensive minded players on the field as possible if we go with the 3-5-2. I might actually prefer the 3-4-3 if we go with only 3 defenders, which would add Hajdu or Piper to the midfield.
Diego
AG
http://www.12thman.com/news/2017/7/18/soccer-coach-g-q-a-one-month-to-opening-day.aspx
blake2003
AG
http://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/bold-national-champion-prediction.2065820/

Tons of interesting discussion about A&M as a potential National Champion this season. It is a bold prediction given our history, but long time fans of the program will have a hard time remembering a roster as talkented and deep as this one.
mullokmotx
AG
Interesting comments in the article linked in the previous post. One poster said Mikaela is overrated but if she is then why does the other team always target her? Later in that thread someone finally mentioned Stephanie who is just so steady in midfield and she had the goal at TCU. One player who was not mentioned was Emily Bates. Watching the Auburn replay on Sunday on the SEC Network I had forgotten that Emily made the brilliant move in the box late in the game to draw the PK that Haley made to win it.
We only scored 27 goals in 22 games last year and being able to keep players healthy will hopefully improve that goal number. Winning the ball in the air at midfield is the biggest area of improvement that I see. Every time we can keep the ball is another chance to get it to Ally or Emily in space.
By the way I got my tickets to the exhibition games delivered to my Flashseats account this morning.
CDub06
AG
blake2003 said:

http://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/bold-national-champion-prediction.2065820/

Tons of interesting discussion about A&M as a potential National Champion this season. It is a bold prediction given our history, but long time fans of the program will have a hard time remembering a roster as talkented and deep as this one.
It's nice to see our excitement somewhat validated. There's a high ceiling for this team indeed. Can't wait!
redd38
AG
mullokmotx said:

By the way I got my tickets to the exhibition games delivered to my Flashseats account this morning.

Tickets for an exhibition game???
mullokmotx
AG
Part of the season ticket package I presume.
Serious Lee
couple of perturbing comments about coach G in that thread. going to assume thats just a general regard for texans
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Explain, please !
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
HiddenAg2
We definitely have the potential to compete for a title. Just need to remain consistent and avoid key injuries. I still think Penn State is the favorite.
Diego
AG
HiddenAg2 said:

We definitely have the potential to compete for a title. Just need to remain consistent and avoid key injuries. I still think Penn State is the favorite.
mullokmotx
AG
This is not directly Aggie soccer related but I read that UNC is remodeling Fetzer Field. It used to have a track and bench seating on one side and they are taking the track out and will have seating on 3 sides. Their men's soccer and both lacrosse teams use that field. I wonder how many schools have taken a page from us and surround the field with seats. I have seen games on tv from the school in Austin where they put bleachers on the track to try to get fans closer to the field.
mullokmotx
AG
Interview with Haley on 12thman.com indicates the team reports tomorrow August 1, so the season is here!
Rambotx
mullokmotx
AG
Both KBTX and KAGS had stories about the soccer team on their local news last night. Saw a team picture on Aggie Soccer Twitter on Tuesday and has the 25 players on the roster in it. First time I've seen 3 players with such high jersey numbers with Abby wearing 55, Mikaela with 77 and Briana Alston with 99. And also cool to see Jordan with 27 and Rheagen with 22. Just noticed that Briana Davis (#3) was in the team picture but not on the roster today.
coldmoose
So ready for the season.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.