***U.S. National Team Thread***

5,371 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Dirty Mike and the Boys
ja86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aggie7911 said:

That makes no sense but by all mean sport that Zardes jersey with pride.

I think you are confusing bricks with a jersey..
PatAg
AG
aggie7911 said:

That makes no sense but by all mean sport that Zardes jersey with pride.
back on target, us national team
aggie7911
agreed apologies for the derail.
akm91
AG
My thoughts so far from what the Gold Cup revealed:
  • Pretty good battle for the 4th forward spot between Morris and Dwyer.
  • Lichaj looks to be a better choice for Yedlin's back up than Zusi @ right back.
  • Acosta still has lot to learn on the international stage
  • Not fan of Gonzales as Cameron's backup
  • McCarty's lack of pace will be exposed in WCQ
  • Hedges should be playing right center back
Bryan98
AG
akm91 said:

My thoughts so far from what the Gold Cup revealed:
  • Pretty good battle for the 4th forward spot between Morris and Dwyer.
  • Lichaj looks to be a better choice for Yedlin's back up than Zusi @ right back.
  • Acosta still has lot to learn on the international stage
  • Not fan of Gonzales as Cameron's backup
  • McCarty's lack of pace will be exposed in WCQ
  • Hedges should be playing right center back

Are you saying Hedges should be playing right center back in general (as he does for Dallas, I believe), or on our team? He's certainly shown nothing to unseat Cameron. I'm assuming you're saying he's more effective as a RCB than LCB.
akm91
AG
Yes, as back up to Cameron. I'd rather see Hedges than Gonzales as the backup. Pretty sure everyone agrees that Cameron and Brooks, when healthy, are the starting center backs.
oh no
AG
akm91 said:

Brooks, when healthy,
Not sure I've seen "Brooks when healthy" enough to know this for sure

but also, haven't seen enough in Omar, Besler, Hedges, etc. to inspire great confidence. I think all the CBs playing in the Gold Cup need to show more. Has Miazga played CB yet in these Gold Cup games? Where is Ream for the Gold Cup? Getting time off with most of the other guys that play in Europe? When does Carter-Vickers get a shot on the senior team?
akm91
AG
Other than the Costa Rica meltdown, Brooks has show enough consistency to be automatic starter.

Miazga hasn't played yet and I'm hoping he gets some playing time against Honduras.

I don't see CCV having a chance for senior team for 2018 WC cycle. He's not getting minutes on his club team.
heddleston
AG
PatAg said:

aggie7911 said:

Grown men shouldn't put other grown men's on their back hth...

Get a nice clean jersey no names on the back.
Grown men shouldn't follow a child's game so passionately either. Or pretend that they are on said team themselves. That's a stupid argument.

Sorry to jump back on a week old derail, but I gots a Cool Story Bro.

Its 2008/9 and I'm at a Mexican joint in north Idaho with my brother, wearing my 06' Dempsey jersey. I'm going to town on my tacos al pastor when a couple of elderly ladies from a nearby table come over with a curious look on their faces. They ask me about my shirt and what it's about. I explain it's the US soccer team's jersey from the world cup, and figure I'd get an "oh okay" or since it's in the middle of nowhere Idaho maybe a "what's a soccer?"

What I get instead was , "Well congratulations! Good luck with that!" The whole time our waiter is just standing there trying to keep a straight face while I explain to these sweet ladies I'm just a 5'10" 215lb enthusiast and not, in fact, a world-class footballer. In hindsight I should have just owned it and autographed some napkins for them and started a dos-a-cero chant at the bar.
oh no
AG
I thought Carter-Vickers has started getting some PT for Tottenham in some cup games.
Bryan98
AG
akm91 said:

Other than the Costa Rica meltdown, Brooks has show enough consistency to be automatic starter.

Miazga hasn't played yet and I'm hoping he gets some playing time against Honduras.

I don't see CCV having a chance for senior team for 2018 WC cycle. He's not getting minutes on his club team.
Nicaragua?
akm91
AG
Them too
Bryan98
Dre_00
heddleston said:

PatAg said:

aggie7911 said:

Grown men shouldn't put other grown men's on their back hth...

Get a nice clean jersey no names on the back.
Grown men shouldn't follow a child's game so passionately either. Or pretend that they are on said team themselves. That's a stupid argument.

Sorry to jump back on a week old derail, but I gots a Cool Story Bro.

Its 2008/9 and I'm at a Mexican joint in north Idaho with my brother, wearing my 06' Dempsey jersey. I'm going to town on my tacos al pastor when a couple of elderly ladies from a nearby table come over with a curious look on their faces. They ask me about my shirt and what it's about. I explain it's the US soccer team's jersey from the world cup, and figure I'd get an "oh okay" or since it's in the middle of nowhere Idaho maybe a "what's a soccer?"

What I get instead was , "Well congratulations! Good luck with that!" The whole time our waiter is just standing there trying to keep a straight face while I explain to these sweet ladies I'm just a 5'10" 215lb enthusiast and not, in fact, a world-class footballer. In hindsight I should have just owned it and autographed some napkins for them and started a dos-a-cero chant at the bar.

Oh man, this reminds me of a similar situation I had.

I was in LA for a Dynamo game (against the Galaxy...can't remember which one but it wasn't a MLS Cup. At least I'm pretty sure it wasn't) with a couple of other friends. After the game, we go back to the hotel which also happens to be where the team is staying. We get there well before the team does and the front desk welcomes us which is pretty normal if the hotel has good customer service.

But then the guy comes out from behind the desk, walks over to me, shakes my hand and directs me towards this conference room that has all this food and drink set up in it. Tons of stuff including beer. I'm wondering what just happened when it hit me. I'm wearing my Dynamo jersey and this guy thinks that we're players. I am in no way physically fit enough to be mistaken for a soccer player but here we are. So, I figured what the heck...grabbed a few beers, had a few bites to eat and sat down. As I was leaving, the team arrived and the manager immediately realized he'd made a mistake. He angrily chastised the friends (which was a little unnecessary...I mean, you're the idiot here big guy) and hurried them out of the room.

I had lots of great experiences following the Dynamo when I was younger but that was by far one of the funnier/more odd ones.
Bryan98
AG
Now that is a funny story!
akm91
AG
Last year Greg Berhalter mistook me for one of the Crew supporters at the Columbus airport and came up to shake my hand and thank me for joining the Crew on their trip.
gig them
AG
I once beat a guy in beer pong while wearing my '06 Dempsey jersey. And he was rocking an El Tri kit.

I'd like to think I earned our nation a great victory that day.
heddleston
AG
Pretty sure I just got out-whataburgered. That's awesome
PatAg
AG
gig them said:

I once beat a guy in beer pong while wearing my '06 Dempsey jersey. And he was rocking an El Tri kit.

Did he take a dive?
akm91
AG
PatAg said:

gig them said:

Did he take a dive?
Of course, he was rocking El Tri kit.
jeffk
AG
Touring SE Asia with a bunch of other Americans back in the early 2000s, I got approached for autographs several times by strangers who thought I was Michael Owen.
akm91
AG
That's awesome! Did you oblige?
jeffk
AG
Of course! I was 20.
byfLuger41
AG
Join the EPL fantasy, puffs!
PatAg
AG
Looks like Arriola is going back to the MLS
We'll see how this affects his play, good or bad
PatAg
AG
http://www.espnfc.us/team/united-states/660/blog/post/3198185/inconsistent-us-have-issues-all-over-pitch-help-for-pulisic-is-key

decent article. The part about Pulisic is something we talked about in the game threads. Especially when we play him out wide, the other side was not getting it done. Personally,I feel like Arriola provides that presence going forward with purpose, so if they try to flood the defenders to Pulisic side, he will punish them. I wish Nagbe would be that guy consistently, but it doesn't seem like his game is suited to that, but very talented centrally in possession.

Just resurrecting this thread so we dont stay in the game threads.
Pahdz
Boston attorney Steve Gans to challenge Gulati

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/soccer-insider/wp/2017/09/12/its-time-for-change-boston-attorney-will-challenge-sunil-gulati-for-u-s-soccer-presidency/
JJxvi
AG
I hope these are real. Not that I think they are amazing, but a welcome change from the bland ass, crap whites we've been taking to world cups since 1998. Also a fan of anything that perpetuates the hoops/stripes stylization that I think all of our future main kits need.

PatAg
AG
I bet France gets a jersey that looks like just like it, or whoever else Nike is contracted with
titanmaster_race
PatAg said:

I bet France gets a jersey that looks like just like it, or whoever else Nike is contracted with
Mathguy64
AG
Well boys, hold on to your butts. The CONCACAF fix may be in. The last matchday hex against T&T could easily be a must win game for USMNT, and CONCACAF has assigned a literal nobody to the center. And by nobody I mean it. The ref is someone who had never done a CONCACAF WC qualifier. Not just never done a hex match. The dude has never done a lower level qualifier of any kind.
who?mikejones
ja86
Jason_Ag98
AG
CONCACAF gonna CONCACAF
Dirty Mike and the Boys
AG
mathguy86 said:

Well boys, hold on to your butts. The CONCACAF fix may be in. The last matchday hex against T&T could easily be a must win game for USMNT, and CONCACAF has assigned a literal nobody to the center. And by nobody I mean it. The ref is someone who had never done a CONCACAF WC qualifier. Not just never done a hex match. The dude has never done a lower level qualifier of any kind.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.