***U.S. National Team Thread***

5,367 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Dirty Mike and the Boys
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just figured we could use an actual thread to talk in instead of dragging up the last game thread.

http://www.espnfc.us/united-states/story/3147115/kenny-saief-seals-national-team-switch-from-israel-to-united-states

Potentially a big deal for us, has Champions League experience and has played well.
jeffk
AG
Can he introduce me to Gol Gadot?
PatAg
AG
jeffk said:

Sure, but he is introducing me to Gal Gadot first.
titanmaster_race
jeffk said:

is she like a goal scoring Gal Gadot?
Pahdz
so is this guy any good?
byfLuger41
AG
Wood plow.
PJYoung
AG
Quote:

Saief joined Gent in 2014 and started for the Belgian team in the Champions League last year as it made a run to the round of 16. He has been a key part of its success this season, both in the domestic league and the Europa League. He played 90 minutes in both legs of Gent's round-of-32 victory over Tottenham.
jeffk
AG
PatAg said:

jeffk said:

Sure, but he is introducing me to Gal Gadot first.

I was obviously making a soccer pun you guys.
stillmerk
AG
Can he play leftback?
Aston94
AG
I don't know Gol Gadot's position, but Gal Gadot can play Right on my Face all night long.
oragator
Frei will be eligible shortly.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/06/13/seattles-stefan-frei-passes-us-citizenship-test-clearing-way-usmnt
jeffk
AG
Gonzalez didn't make the roster due to paperwork not being approved yet.
PatAg
AG
Hope that doesn't come back to bite us.
wangus12
AG
jeffk said:

Gonzalez didn't make the roster due to paperwork not being approved yet.
He only just put it in last month. FIFA takes forever with this type of crap
Aston94
AG
Hopefully it gets completed so he can keep for us in the knockout rounds.
Bryan98
AG
Good thread. I miss a lot of conversations because I don't often check for new ones.
Gordo14
Jesse Gonzalez officially makes the switch.
akm91
AG
Gordo14 said:

Jesse Gonzalez officially makes the switch.
Outstanding!
jeffk
AG
ChipFTAC01
AG
This conversation about Saief and Gonzalez has had me thinking the last few days about international transfers. While it's great when we get these players to play for the US, especially the German-American invasion under JK, it's strange to think about it from the player's perspective. Does it really just come down to a matter of getting a real chance to play and shine on a big stage? For some of those Germans, was it just that they'd never see the senior team being buried on the German NT depth chart, but here they can start? For Saief is it a chance to play for a top 20 team that will always be playing in the World Cup/big matches versus an afterthought team in Israel? I would imagine that he doesn't identify himself as an American. I don't know that much about Jesse Gonzalez, but his transfer seems to make more sense as I would assume he's always thought of himself as an American, and just an opportunity came up to play for the Mexican youth teams.

That led to me thinking about it from my kids' perspective. My wife is English (although raised here and now naturalized) and my kids both have British passports (in addition to their American ones). But they were born in the Texas and will likely live their entire life in the States. If 20 years from now, my little girl decides that she'll never be able to start for the powerhouse USWNT, but IS good enough to play for England that would seem strange to me. Obviously I'd be proud of my little girl for being a world class soccer player, but at the end of the day, despite what the Queen and FIFA might think, she's not British. Not anymore than Fabian Johnson or Jermaine Jones are really American.

Maybe I just have an overinflated nationalistic sense of patriotism to not understand that this doesn't really matter. I can't imagine ever having another countries name on my chest, even if it would give me an opportunity to do what I do on the highest level.

All of that being said, I just got the ESPN notification that the Gonzalez transfer went through, so USA! USA!
jeffk
AG
Ronaldo had two twins that are American citizens yesterday.

Is it too ambitious to think we should just go ahead and give them a roster spot on the Gold Cup team and cap tie them?
Gordo14
jeffk said:

Ronaldo had two twins that are American citizens yesterday.

Is it too ambitious to think we should just go ahead and give them a roster spot on the Gold Cup team and cap tie them?

Are they to the same waitress? God bless the service American women are performing for the future of American soccer. They just need to make sure they stick it through and don't let the kids want to play for Portugal
akm91
AG
Don't think so. They were born by surrogate mother.
Aston94
AG
Gonzales switch is now official!
Pahdz
So what's the general consensus on jersey purchases as far as what goes on the back? Best to just go with a blank back or get one of a current player? Obviously not going to self gloss with a random number and my own name or nickname.
aggie7911
blank on the back please unless you are a child or a hot babe.
GrapevineAg
AG
Go with #76
PatAg
AG
aggie7911 said:

blank on the back please unless you are a child or a hot babe.
Dont listen to this person. You choose either your favorite player, or if you dont have one, then you choose the best player.

So Pulisic is a safe bet, I have gotten Donovan and Bradley before.

If you aren't buying a lower quality one, then you can just go no number.
PatAg
AG
I'm just gonna wait, because $155 is a rip off.
aggie7911
Grown men shouldn't put other grown men's on their back hth...

Get a nice clean jersey no names on the back.
birdman
It is your team. Put your name on it.
Bryan98
AG
Obviously there is a diversity of opinions. If you go to a game or an AO watch party, you'll see everything. Personally, I like most of them blank. I definitely think the new one looks great blank - and in fact the numbers on back are huuuuge to the point that I think they detract from the look.

If the stripes somehow didn't continue on back (take the current Dynamo home jersey for example), I might want something on there.

I'll just say one more time that I think it would be weird to have a Gold Cup jersey with a player's name who isn't in the Gold Cup, but that's just me. Hopefully Nike is seeing how popular these are and we'll keep wearing them during WC qualifying and they'll make more.
wangus12
AG
I usually go blank, but I definitely have one with my name and class year on it.
PatAg
AG
aggie7911 said:

Grown men shouldn't put other grown men's on their back hth...

Get a nice clean jersey no names on the back.
Grown men shouldn't follow a child's game so passionately either. Or pretend that they are on said team themselves. That's a stupid argument.
aggie7911
That makes no sense but by all mean sport that Zardes jersey with pride.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.