***** Official USMNT vs Mexico WCQ Match Thread *****

20,546 Views | 583 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by randy828
akm91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I still can't believe Mexico wasn't playing with a man down for 86 minutes of the match. That was just absolutely atrocious.
fig96
AG
AgGrad99 said:

What's happened to Aron Johansen? Seems like he's dropped off the face of the planet after his injury last year.
He had a big injury, then last season appears to have been caught up in manager drama (new manager took over late and didn't play him much).

Would like to see him back, he has a nose for goal than a lot of our strikers seem to lack.
titanmaster_race
fig96 said:

AgGrad99 said:

What's happened to Aron Johansen? Seems like he's dropped off the face of the planet after his injury last year.
He had a big injury, then last season appears to have been caught up in manager drama (new manager took over late and didn't play him much).

Would like to see him back, he has a nose for goal than a lot of our strikers seem to lack.

his play is great, but he can't seem to stay healthy
fig96
AG
titanmaster_race said:

fig96 said:

AgGrad99 said:

his play is great, but he can't seem to stay healthy
Unfortunately true.
Mathguy64
AG
Early in his FIFA career, this ref was a typical CONCACAF ref, reluctant to call any VC or to put any team down a man. His MO was lots of diving, lots of rolling and screaming for fouls but he never called real violent conduct. Over the years he had improved and mostly stopped putting up with the typical BS. Last night he reverted to form. The first elbow was at the minimum a whistle and stern ass chewing. It easily could be yellow. 2 minutes in? It needed the yellow card but I can see a whistle and a verbal ass chewing. The second 2 minutes later was straight violent conduct. Thats an easy send off. If you whistle on the first you probably dont get the second. Because the first was ignored you get the second.

The interesting thing is what happens if there is a VAR. The standard says the VAR can initiate a review if they believe there is an "clear and obvious error" resulting in a red card and send off. And this is a pretty "clear and obvious error" for missed violent conduct. But the ref doesnt even think its a foul. Remember no whistle on the second elbow either. The VAR says "wait I think its its a red card, go look". So the CR goes and looks, and his choice is let it go or red. According to the standards he cannot issue a yellow card. I bet $10 he doesnt issue a red on review either, because that means he has to own up to the elbow and send a player off at 4:00.
AgGrad99
AG
fig96 said:

I'd really like to see him and Pulisic get some time together....maybe even with Zusi in support. Not a big line up, but I think our ball movement would be fun to watch.

Hope he gets healthy soon. If nothing else, he'd be a nice sub to have come WC.
Aston94
AG
Quote:

I'd really like to see him and Pulisic get some time together....maybe even with Zusi in support.
You lost me with Zusi. After the last WC watching Zusi get dispossessed time after time I don't ever want or need to see him in a play making role again. Great guy and a great warrior for the USMNT, but his lack of speed or possession skills make him a real liability.
AgGrad99
AG
I said 'maybe'

jay040
Eye opening report on Jurgen's planning/preparation.

http://sbisoccer.com/2017/06/gonzalez-hails-arenas-preparation-criticizes-klinsmann

Quote:

According to the defender, it's a far cry than the preparation levels under previous head coach Jurgen Klinsmann. According to the Pachuca defender, Arena's presence has been a steady one thanks to how straight-forward he is with both his lineups and tactics.

"I was relieved that I knew that early, for sure," Gonzalez said, according to Goal USA. "I've had three weeks to prepare for this game. It's just a different environment, and a different mentality you can take when you know three weeks out when you're going to play, how you're going to prepare.
"Sometimes with Jurgen you wouldn't know until the day of the game," Gonzalez added. "It's just stressful, so with Bruce here taking that kind of approach here, it's been helping out a lot."

Gonzalez was deployed as one of the three centerbacks, joining Geoff Cameron and Tim Ream in the center of the defense. Gonzalez and Ream were two of seven changes to the starting XI, giving the USMNT a vastly different look than the group that took the field against Trinidad & Tobago.

The former LA Galaxy defender says it was all by design, and that the group has been preparing for Sunday's match throughout the two weeks. There was nothing thrown together hastily. Rather, it was all deliberate, and Gonzalez says Arena is the one to thank.

"Going into the last game (in November) it was a maybe that we were going to use a 3-5-2," Gonzalez said. "We didn't know until a couple of days before the game and then it was just thrown out there. Now we had two weeks to really prepare. One team was preparing to play against Trinidad in a 4-4-2, and the other team was preparing in a 3-5-2. We've been playing this now for a few weeks and so that's the reason there was a lot better understanding tonight, and the reason it worked for us tonight.

fig96
AG
Was browsing this earlier, really insightful read.
AgGrad99
AG
That's really incredible. What was Jurgen thinking? It's like he was outsmarting himself, and over-thinking everything. It's better to pick a lineup and be wrong, than never decide on one and have them ill prepared for the match.

I wonder if things were different early on when things were clicking, or if he was like that his entire tenure.
gig them
AG
titanmaster_race said:

I still wish the team would have sat on their hands those last few minutes against Panama and let the putos drown while we went to Brazil.

100% agree. At the risk of getting too 'Ender's Game' here... that decision doesn't just win this war. It wins all future wars.
jeffk
AG
The enemies verja is down?
LeonardSkinner
gig them said:

titanmaster_race said:

I still wish the team would have sat on their hands those last few minutes against Panama and let the putos drown while we went to Brazil.

100% agree. At the risk of getting too 'Ender's Game' here... that decision doesn't just win this war. It wins all future wars.

I disagree. I think an absurdly poor showing by El Tri is more likely to spur on a stark reassessment and rebirth process than a long down period.
titanmaster_race
aggie kid said:

gig them said:

titanmaster_race said:

I disagree. I think an absurdly poor showing by El Tri is more likely to spur on a stark reassessment and rebirth process than a long down period.

it wouldn't have even been an absurdly poor showing. they literally would not be able to show up if they missed Brazil

that country would burn itself to the ground if they missed the world cup
LeonardSkinner
And while it would been awesome to see, El Tri would have come back with a vengeance. Not that they're content with just reaching the knockout stages now, but after an ignominious absence...? Whoa, Nellie.
titanmaster_race
And you're basing that on?
LeonardSkinner
titanmaster_race said:

Gut feeling?

Again, it would have been an amazing thing to see. I'm just suggesting that such a severe blow to national honor would have led to the country moving heaven and earth to not only make sure it never happened again, but to do whatever it takes to win it all. To borrow a phrase, "awakening a sleeping giant and filling him with a terrible resolve."
Pahdz
Portugal misses the WC and came back and didn't clear the group play.
LeonardSkinner
Pahdz said:

Fair enough. It's just my opinion.
LeonardSkinner
Can we at least agree that, as bad as things would be if Mexico failed to make a Finals, it'd be orders of magnitude worse if the US lifted the trophy first?
gougler08
AG
Pahdz said:

And then won the Euros
Pahdz
On what many people say was a bogus run

Bryan98
AG
aggie kid said:

Can we at least agree that, as bad as things would be if Mexico failed to make a Finals, it'd be orders of magnitude worse if the US lifted the trophy first?

What do you mean "if"?
randy828
AG
titanmaster_race said:

Actually based on what happened in 2002. After the US embarrassed them in the WC, they completely overhauled their roster.

I went to a US/mexico friendly in Houston in 2003 and couldn't recognize their roster at all.(it was a great game even though it ended 0-0 and I remember a very young Freddy Adu walking out on the field from the tunnel during the game...he was there just to watch, when he was being hyped as the next Ple.)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.