Tottenham Hotspur 2017-2018 Thread

43,469 Views | 702 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Zombie Jon Snow
LondonOllie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tottenham Hotspur Football Club commonly referred to as Spurs, is an English football club located in Tottenham, Haringey, London, that competes in the Premier League.

Always known for trying to play with an attractive skillful style of football, Spurs have always been an exciting team to watch.

The club's home for the 2017-18 season will be Wembley Stadium, as their former home of White Hart Lane is being dismantled to make way for a completely new rebuilt stadium on the same site. Their newly developed training ground is in Bulls Cross on the northern borders of the London Borough of Enfield.

Founded in 1882, Tottenham won the FA Cup for the first time in 1901, making them the only non-League club to do so since the formation of the Football League in 1888. Tottenham were the first club in the 20th century to achieve the League and FA Cup Double, winning both competitions in the 196061 season.

After successfully defending the FA Cup in 1962, in 1963 they became the first British club to win a UEFA club competition the European Cup Winners' Cup.[4] In 1967, Spurs won the FA Cup for a third time in the 1960s.

In the 1970s Tottenham won the League Cup on two occasions and were the inaugural winner of the UEFA Cup in 1972, becoming the first British club to win two different major European trophies.

In the 1980s Spurs won several trophies: the FA Cup twice, FA Community Shield and the UEFA Cup in 1984. In the 1990s the club won the FA Cup and the League Cup.

When they won the League Cup once more in 2008, it meant that they had won a major trophy in each of the last six decades an achievement only matched by Manchester United.

The club's Latin motto is Audere est Facere (lit: "To Dare Is to Do"), and its emblem is a cockerel standing upon a football. The club has a long-standing rivalry with nearby neighbors who are originally from South London, Arsenal (The Scum), with head-to-head fixtures known as the North London derby.

The old entrance to White Hart Lane

Crowds outside White Hart Lane (year unknown)

The cockerel that sat atop the stadium

The legendary Dave Mackay watching the legendary Jimmy Greaves (the greatest Tottenham striker ever)

Bill Nicholson Way, named after who many consider to be our greatest manager

Inside view of White Hart Lane

Our current manager, Mauricio Pochettino

Harry Kane and Dele celebrates a goal in the Spurs win over Arsenal (2016/2017 season)

A view of White Hart Lane with the construction of our new stadium taking place during the previous season

A rendering of the new 61,559 seater stadium being built to hopefully be ready for the 2018/2019 season

A rendering of the inside of the new stadium

Some additional useful links

Tottenham Hotspur (official website)

New Stadium Information and animation

Tottenham Hotspur Wiki Page

Find your nearest supporters club

Message Boards

Spurs Community

Shelf Side Spurs

News

News Now Aggregator - Tottenham Hotspur

BBC Sport - Tottenham Hotspur Page

ESPN FC - Tottenham Hotspur Page

Football London - Tottenham Hotspur Page

Podcasts

The Fighting Cock Podcast

The Spurs Show Podcast

eld02
AG
COYS!
Socrates05
AG
Let's talk transfers.

Despite the press chattering, I'm confident the stars will stay. Maybe Walker leaves but I don't expect anyone else who was getting consistent time.

Out:
Fazio (loan made permanent)
Bentaleb (loan made permanent)
N'Jie (was there a buy option)
Sissoko

Potential Out if they want 1st Team Football:
Wimmer
Vorm
N'Koudou

Other Possibilities Out:
Lamela
Jannsen

Assuming Walker, Fazio, Bentaleb, N'Jie, Sissoko, and Wimmer leave, N'Koudou is loaned, and a combination of 3-4-2-1, 4-2-3-1, or4-1-4-1 are utilized next year, there are very few holes to fill.

Needs:
CB rotation

Wants:
Left Side attacker capable of beating a man

Targets (strictly my hopes):
CB: Willi Orban
LW: Thomas Lemar
LB: Sessegnon

Other Linked Names:
LW: Douglas Costa
CB: Ben Gibson
AM: Barkley
GK: Lopez

That would leave:

Lemar is the only longshot. Make it happen.
Beau Bevers
AG
COYS!
LondonOllie
The transfer silly season as it's known, drives me a bit nuts. I used to scan the web looking for rumors, only to get disappointed when we were outbid by a richer club either for outright transfer costs or wages we often couldn't afford to pay. Either that or it was total click bait and a transfer that was never going to happen.

Nowadays, I generally don't believe anything I read until it's a done deal and announced by the club.

As long as we can keep our core group of players together, and add some depth/a little more quality in key areas, I think we should be okay.

I do think that it is inevitable that playing away from WHL this coming season will effect us, and I don't see us finishing 2nd or 3rd (in fact, 4th might be a stretch).

In the long run, I think (hope) we will be okay. I still stick to my guns and hope we don't sell out to a rich sugar daddy - I really don't. I already am worried about Spurs becoming just another place like the Emirates that attracts day trippers and that the club loses it's soul.

As I've said before, I'm really going to miss WHL. It was a ground that was rooted in history and was a proper day out. It had a ton of flaws, and unless you had a season ticket, there were definitely parts of the ground that you'd sit in and have a pillar obstructing part of your view etc. The toilets were grim, and it was most definitely not a shiny new modern stadium, but I loved it. I loved everything about it, right up to the walk to the stadium (depending on where I was coming from). If you ever visited WHL, the walk up Seven Sisters that a lot of opposing fans had to do, must have been very intimidating indeed. However, as a Spurs fan...it just gave you a buzz (even if it is a bit of a trek). At least that part of it will remain.

COYS!!!

eld02
AG
WHL was magic. i was fortunate enough to take in two matches there (should have been three but that's a story for another time), the last being against everton this past march. my wife is not much of a sports fan, but even she admits to people that her favorite part of our trips to london were the matches at WHL and everything that surrounded them.

agreed that repeating this season's performance at wembley next season will be a tall task, but the team has improved each season under poch. assuming that continues i think a top 4 finish should be expected.
LittleElmAg13
The wife and I were able to take in a match at WHL against Southampton in March. It was the highlight of first trip to the UK. It was an experience like no other!
eld02
AG
2017/18 Fixture list

Saturday, 12 August, 2017 - Newcastle United v Tottenham Hotspur
Saturday, 19 August, 2017 - Tottenham Hotspur v Chelsea
Saturday, 26 August, 2017 - Tottenham Hotspur v Burnley

Saturday, 9 September, 2017 - Everton v Tottenham Hotspur
Saturday, 16 September, 2017 - Tottenham Hotspur v Swansea City
Saturday, 23 September, 2017 - West Ham United v Tottenham Hotspur
Saturday, 30 September, 2017 - Huddersfield Town v Tottenham Hotspur

Saturday, 14 October, 2017 - Tottenham Hotspur v AFC Bournemouth
Saturday, 21 October, 2017 - Tottenham Hotspur v Liverpool
Saturday, 28 October , 2017 - Manchester United v Tottenham Hotspur

Saturday, 4 November, 2017 - Tottenham Hotspur v Crystal Palace
Saturday, 18 November, 2017 - Arsenal v Tottenham Hotspur
Saturday, 25 November, 2017 - Tottenham Hotspur v West Bromwich Albion
Tuesday, 28 November, 2017 - Leicester City v Tottenham Hotspur

Saturday, 2 December, 2017 - Watford v Tottenham Hotspur
Saturday, 9 December, 2017 - Tottenham Hotspur v Stoke City
Tuesday, 12 December, 2017 - Tottenham Hotspur v Brighton (8pm)
Saturday, 16 December, 2017 - Manchester City v Tottenham Hotspur
Saturday, 23 December, 2017 - Burnley v Tottenham Hotspur
Tuesday, 26 December, 2017 - Tottenham Hotspur v Southampton
Saturday, 30 December, 2017 - Tottenham Hotspur v West Ham United

Monday, 1 January, 2018 - Swansea City v Tottenham Hotspur
Saturday, 13 January, 2018 - Tottenham Hotspur v Everton
Saturday, 20 January, 2018 - Southampton v Tottenham Hotspur
Wednesday, 31 January, 2018 - Tottenham Hotspur v Manchester United (8pm)

Saturday, 3 February, 2018 - Liverpool v Tottenham Hotspur
Saturday, 10 February, 2018 - Tottenham Hotspur v Arsenal
Saturday, 24 February, 2018 - Crystal Palace v Tottenham Hotspur

Saturday, 3 March, 2018 - Tottenham Hotspur v Huddersfield Town
Saturday, 10 March, 2018 - AFC Bournemouth v Tottenham Hotspur
Saturday, 17 March, 2018 - Tottenham Hotspur v Newcastle United
Saturday, 31 March, 2018 - Chelsea v Tottenham Hotspur

Saturday, 7 April, 2018 - Stoke City v Tottenham Hotspur
Saturday, 14 April, 2018 - Tottenham Hotspur v Manchester City
Saturday, 21 April, 2018 - Brighton v Tottenham Hotspur
Saturday, 28 April, 2018 - Tottenham Hotspur v Watford

Saturday, 5 May, 2018 - West Bromwich Albion v Tottenham Hotspur
Sunday, 13 May, 2018 - Tottenham Hotspur v Leicester City
Beau Bevers
AG
Spurs opening the season away. Shocked.
eld02
AG
Beau Bevers said:

well technically we'll be "away" the whole season...

good opportunity to pile up some points early though. late jan/feb look to be the crucial run of the season, at least on paper.
Beau Bevers
AG
eld02 said:

Beau Bevers said:

well technically we'll be "away" the whole season...

good opportunity to pile up some points early though. late jan/feb look to be the crucial run of the season, at least on paper.
True, but this is the 7th straight season opener away. Could you imagine this happening in any of the major sports leagues in the States? Odd.
eld02
AG
new home and away kits have been leaked (these seem legit):

Home

Away
titanmaster_race
those look awesome

hopefully the 3rd kit won't look like a dirty diaper from a baby that's been eating too much Indian food
t - cam
AG
titanmaster_race said:

those look awesome

hopefully the 3rd kit won't look like a dirty diaper from a baby that's been eating too much Indian food

I dug the gold last year. Hoping the third this coming year makes up for the pretty pedestrian home and away. They are definitely a clean look but woefully basic.
eld02
AG
the third is rumored to be using a purple color scheme, similar to the spurple kit from two seasons ago.
LondonOllie

t - cam
AG
It's boring but it's not embarrassing.
Beau Bevers
AG
I like it. Simple and sharp. The crest is fantastic.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
I like it.
YouBet
AG
Love the all blues and that crest.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Kyle Walker to Man City $50 million

DeangeloVickers
AG
And there sure are a lot more rumors of others being sold too..k
byfLuger41
t - cam
AG
Ryno01 said:

And there sure are a lot more rumors of others being sold too..k

Kyle Walker has been the only one with legs at this point. It seems like levy isn't selling anyone else even refusing 50 million for dier which to me is crazy.
DeangeloVickers
AG
t - cam
AG
Ryno01 said:

Think that rumor is dead.
jay040
I'm said to see Walker go, particularly to a team that' we'll compete with for top 4 spots. That being said, Walker has performed well for Spurs over the years, and he's helped get us to where we are today. Good luck to him, I hope that Man City gives him a huge contract.
eld02
AG
mere formality at this point, but walker to city is done:

BBallAggie06
AG
COYS!!!
DeangeloVickers
AG
LondonOllie
Spurs Vs PSG on now ESPN
t - cam
AG
LondonOllie said:

Spurs Vs PSG on now ESPN

This team is going to win the league. Book it.
So happy we haven't been crazy spenders. This young core is hitting their prime together. Honestly don't know who you could get for less than 100 mil that would start for us.
LondonOllie
As much as I would like to agree with you, I don't believe that we're going to win the league.
No, spending big doesn't always mean that you are going to be better, but with the money being thrown around & the players coming in which will only improve depth, the other top clubs / big spenders are going to improve (I think).

A lot comes down to injuries that could happen. There are a number of positions right now that we have little depth & the talent in those spots really drops off after the first 11.

So much comes down to salaries. We might be able to afford to transfer fee, but can't pay the wages top players demand without breaking our wage structure. You do that & all of a sudden, you have to renegotiate a lot of your other players wages who will then demand parity.

It's just getting stupid when I read what some crappy players now can earn in the Premier League. So to actually improve the squad in many positions, Spurs either need to buy very wisely and coach players with potential, or we would need to bring in some that are genuinely world class, and that's just not possible with our strict wage structure.

I think we're likely to get 4th this year and doubt that we can hold onto a 2nd place. Over time once we move into the new stadium, I think we will have a bit more money to splash around, but I don't see that happening right now.
t - cam
AG
LondonOllie said:

As much as I would like to agree with you, I don't believe that we're going to win the league.
No, spending big doesn't always mean that you are going to be better, but with the money being thrown around & the players coming in which will only improve depth, the other top clubs / big spenders are going to improve (I think).

A lot comes down to injuries that could happen. There are a number of positions right now that we have little depth & the talent in those spots really drops off after the first 11.

So much comes down to salaries. We might be able to afford to transfer fee, but can't pay the wages top players demand without breaking our wage structure. You do that & all of a sudden, you have to renegotiate a lot of your other players wages who will then demand parity.

It's just getting stupid when I read what some crappy players now can earn in the Premier League. So to actually improve the squad in many positions, Spurs either need to buy very wisely and coach players with potential, or we would need to bring in some that are genuinely world class, and that's just not possible with our strict wage structure.

I think we're likely to get 4th this year and doubt that we can hold onto a 2nd place. Over time once we move into the new stadium, I think we will have a bit more money to splash around, but I don't see that happening right now.

What would you spend money on?
eld02
AG
t - cam said:

LondonOllie said:

What would you spend money on?
striker, right back and another attacking mid for starters.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.