WCQ roster for TRI and MEX

2,757 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by PatAg
An Ag in CO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
U.S. MNT Roster By Position (Club; WCQ Caps/Goals):
GOALKEEPERS (4): Brad Guzan (Atlanta United FC; 13/0), Ethan Horvath (Club Brugge/BEL; 0/0), Tim Howard (Colorado Rapids; 35/0), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake; 0/0)
DEFENDERS (11): DaMarcus Beasley (Houston Dynamo; 33/6), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City; 11/1), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin/GER; 3/0), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City/ENG; 20/2), Timmy Chandler (Eintracht Frankfurt/GER; 3/0), Omar Gonzalez (Pachuca/MEX; 14/0), Matt Hedges (FC Dallas; 0/0), Tim Ream (Fulham/ENG; 4/0), Jorge Villafaa (Santos Laguna/MEX; 2/0), DeAndre Yedlin (Newcastle United/ENG; 6/0), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City; 17/3)
MIDFIELDERS (8): Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas; 2/0), Paul Arriola (Club Tijuana/MEX; 2/1), Alejandro Bedoya (Philadelphia Union; 8/0), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC/CAN; 33/6), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Mnchengladbach/GER; 15/1), Dax McCarty (Chicago Fire; 0/0), Darlington Nagbe (Portland Timbers; 5/0), Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund/GER; 7/3)
FORWARDS (4): Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC/CAN; 36/16), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC; 38/18), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC; 3/0), Bobby Wood (Hamburg/GER; 8/4)

Where is Wondo? Looks like the injury-bug hasn't had much of an impact for this set of games. Sebastian Lletget will be out until August, but otherwise some good players back that were unavailable for the last set of games.
TheMasterplan
Howard
Yedlin Brooks Cameron Villafana
Acosta Bradley Pulisic Johnson
Dempsey Altidore
akm91
AG
TheMasterplan said:

Howard
Dempsey Altidore
I'm good with that. Would be interesting to see Wood/Altidore up top as well.
jeffk
AG
Wood
Aston94
AG
TheMasterplan said:

Howard
Dempsey Altidore

I don't see Pulisic being used as a central midfielder, nor Acosta in the starting XI.
jeffk
AG
Pulisic's already seen minutes centrally for Arena, so it's not that far fetched.
deadbq03
AG
Man, who are these noobs Brooks and Chandler with only 3 caps each? Hope they're good... back line didn't look so hot against Panama.
caleblyn
Bradley...sigh
PatAg
AG
Excited to see if we can keep building steam. A lot of the guys are in good form in club play.
akm91
AG
Pulisic's getting a new manager, next season. Hopefully he'll continue to see the field but who knows.

Brooks is moving to Wolfsburg so it'll be interesting to see if he'll continue to progress and find that consistency. Also, will be interesting to see how he plays now he's no longer playing for his hometown club.
wangus12
AG
I think he will continue to see the field. He had played in more games for Dortmund than any other midfielder on the roster (albeit from sub role) and is one of the top young talents. There will be plenty of top clubs interested if he doesn't get time with Dortmund
gig them
AG
caleblyn said:

Bradley...sigh

Ah, yes. The Bradley hate without any mention of a box-to-box replacement. As is tradition.
akm91
AG
gig them said:

caleblyn said:

Bradley...sigh

Ah, yes. The Bradley hate without any mention of a box-to-box replacement. As is tradition.
At some point we have to find a replacement. Dax and Danny Williams aren't long term solutions since they're about the same age as Bradley. Acosta?
deadbq03
AG
He also started nearly half the games.

I agree with you... only reason his playing time drops is if they transfer him and his new club is one of the few that are more loaded than Dortmund.
jeffk
AG
I'd love to see Danny Williams brought in even though he's not a like for like with Chandler.

Aston94
AG
With Chandler out, I agree I wish they would bring in another CM. The squad Arena named was heavy on defenders and light on MF.

I would really like to see us go "attack mode" on T&T and Venezuela and see how we do:

Altidore (Wood)- Dempsey

Pulisic-Nagbe-Morris

-----------Bradley----------

Johnson-Cameron-Brooks-Yedlin

----------Howard---------

Altidore or Wood in that Forward spot, or a rotation between those 2 and Dempsey. Morris has been playing on the wing some for Seattle, so would love to see him and Pulisic out on the wings together, with Nagbe serving balls in the middle, and Bradley in the defensive mid role, where he is at his best.

akm91
AG
Aston94 said:

With Chandler out, I agree I wish they would bring in another CM. The squad Arena named was heavy on defenders and light on MF.

I would really like to see us go "attack mode" on T&T and Venezuela and see how we do:

Altidore (Wood)- Dempsey

Pulisic-Nagbe-Morris

-----------Bradley----------

Johnson-Cameron-Brooks-Yedlin

----------Howard---------

Altidore or Wood in that Forward spot, or a rotation between those 2 and Dempsey. Morris has been playing on the wing some for Seattle, so would love to see him and Pulisic out on the wings together, with Nagbe serving balls in the middle, and Bradley in the defensive mid role, where he is at his best.

I'd like to see:

Altidore - Wood

Johnson - Nagbe - Pulisic

------------- Bradley ----------

Villafana - Brooks - Cameron - Yedlin

------------- Howard ----------
jeffk
AG
I like that, but I see Wood more as a Dempsey replacement than a Jozy replacement.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
Acosta has a very bright future for the MNT, for now I see him starting all Gold Cup games but used as a sub for WCQ. He has been a pro so long it's hard to remember he is only 21. My guess is he will make the roster for Russia, and be a starter in the next round of qualifying. He plays with passion and intensity, defends well enough and is great going forward....

pic.twitter.com/YEsR8JeOKn

HiddenAg2
Who is the young phenom coming up the ranks? Pulisic?
wangus12
AG
Yes
wangus12
AG
Lineup

wangus12
AG
FJ has to pull the trigger. Through on goal and we didn't even get a shot
deadbq03
AG
Yeah that was disappointing to say the least.
deadbq03
AG
Surely one of these chances will pan out.
wangus12
AG
Awful work clearing the corner
wangus12
AG
Howard with 2 huge saves. Venezuela all over the USA since their 1st goal
Phat32
AG
First goal conceded to Venezuela ever IIRC.
deadbq03
AG
Man I like this lineup, but so many mistakes tonight.
wangus12
AG
Absolutely no chemistry up top right now and the only direction we seem to pass to is backwards
deadbq03
AG
Yeah that possession where Yedlin was just looking for anyone to pass to... brutal.
ja86
AG
That was a half full of meh...
Phat32
AG
Fabian Johnson directly in front of the goal and looking to pass is the story of this half.
PatAg
AG
I think with Fabian, he is still looking to build chemistry with the team in this "new" position for him. We want him to look to be selfish there, he has a nice shot.

I like nagbe a lot, but with Pulisic's emergence, I don't think there is a place for him in the starting lineup. He is giving us ZERO width and just clogging it up the middle, imo. Either that, or we need a more effective left back overlapping because Villafana has not been providing that service very well.

We weren't playing bad by any means, just not quite sharp either.
PatAg
AG
wangus12 said:

Absolutely no chemistry up top right now and the only direction we seem to pass to is backwards
Which I find strange, because I could have sworn Wood and Dempsey had played together well, but maybe I'm wrong. I know Wood and Altidore had played well before.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.