Arsenal 2017-2018 Thread

97,904 Views | 1739 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by PJYoung
TXAggie2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
2016-2017 is now OVER!

Let's do this!
chjoak
AG
So many unanswered heading into next season...

Wenger stay or go?
Latest rumor is 2 yr extension. Though there is some rumblings about AW talking carp about the board in an interview just before the FA final.

Alexis stay or go?
Bayern rumors not going away

Ozil stay or go?
No solid rumors about a potential departure
byfLuger41
AG
Juan
wangus12
AG
House sitting for my boss in his huge house. Rewatching the final on his absolutely massive tv.
OneBlitzer
AG
Match is on the DVR. Looking forward to rewatching. Tonight, wife and I began revisiting Game of Thrones from the beginning.
wangus12
AG
Hearing that Wenger has a 2 year deal on the tabhilele. Still not sure how I feel about that, but if it helps us keep Ozil and Sanchez while adding the necessary pieces in attack and defense, I'm for it.
Gigem Trevas
Arsene is back for 2 more years.
CoolAggie
AG
I've been pretty much in the Wenger Out group but I think he earned a contract extension due to the strong finish and the FA Cup. Given his comments about limited finances, I hope that the board is willing to give him the resources to focus on winning the PL this season. He's still the boss and at this point he deserves to go out on his own terms. It must be the Aggie in me that continues to hold on to hope that next season will be the one.
chjoak
AG
CoolAggie said:

I've been pretty much in the Wenger Out group but I think he earned a contract extension due to the strong finish and the FA Cup. Given his comments about limited finances, I hope that the board is willing to give him the resources to focus on winning the PL this season. He's still the boss and at this point he deserves to go out on his own terms. It must be the Aggie in me that continues to hold on to hope that next season will be the one.
I'm gonna have to disagree with you there. I appreciate all he has done for us over the years but the financial resources have been there the last few years and he has chosen not to use them. There is also numerous documented instances of world class players that we could have had if AW had pulled the trigger sooner (or at all) rather than evaluating for 3 yrs. Also numerous players practically begging us to come and get them only to see them head to other teams and flourish.

Granting an extension based on a "strong finish" is a load of crap. We finished outside of the top 4 for the 1st time in 20+ yrs with arguably the best roster we've had in at least 15 yrs. On top of that, last year with a down EPL we finished 2nd behind freaking Leicester City. In a year when the big powers were down we couldn't even win the damned league.

As I said, I appreciate everything he has done for us but it is time to move on.
CoolAggie
AG
It is what is, he got the extension and I don't see the point in fans screaming for his head anymore. It's almost like Aggie Football, we can scream all we want for Sumlin's firing but Ags will still show up to support the program and ultimately the average fans have no say in the decision making. Same thing at Arsenal.
chjoak
AG
I'm not screaming for his head at this point. However, i completely disagree that he deserves a pass and should be allowed to exit on his own terms. Guy is getting paid ridiculous amounts of money. It's not about reverence and respect. It's about production.
TXAggie2011
AG
I'm just worn out by the "Wenger out" campaign. While I do hope it has some positive impact on the club, it got out of hand.
wangus12
AG
Sounds like the Onyekuru deal is pretty much finalized
TXAggie2011
AG
Sounds like it may not be fully finalized until after he's back from international duty.

Don't know anything about the kid but the stats show he was a prolific scorer for Eupen in the Belgian First Division this season. He'll turn 20 in a few days.
chjoak
AG
And he is Nigerian. AW has had a huge hard on for Nigerians lately.

Also, his highlight film looked pretty solid. Good dribbler. If he learns to pass better he could be very good in the Alexis/Ozil spot in our new formation.
wangus12
AG
But is he Gervinho good is the question
TXAggie2011
AG
Woah woah woah, leave that big beautiful shiny forehead out of this...
TXAggie2011
AG
I'll say one thing about signing Africans...always a chance they'll go on strike after they don't get paid so you don't have to worry about tired legs from international matches.
wangus12
AG
jeffk
AG

How you guys feeling about this?
wangus12
AG
Pretty sure everyone knew it was going to come.

I'm slightly bummed since Tuchel became available from Dortmund and would have made a good replacement
chjoak
AG
rumors this morning...

Atletico have lost their appeal regarding their summer transfer ban and are trying to convince their summer targets to sit out until Jan like Arda Turan did for Barca. Not sure how that works in this situation as I believe Turan was a FA. Also, highly doubt Lacazette would opt to skip the 1st half of the season just to play for Atletico. This potentially opens the door for Arsenal to grab him and finally get a consistent scoring 9.

Ozil & Alexis are willing to sign extensions but want to first have some assurances regarding AW's transfer plans.
TXAggie2011
AG
It'd be great to get Lacazette. And that'd hopefully be a nice catalyst for Ozil and Alexis to sign extensions.
wangus12
AG
TXAggie2011
AG
L'Equipe saying a 100 million Euro bid for Kylian Mbappe was turned away by Monaco.

Not surprising it would be rejected, but perhaps, if this is true, it is a sign Arsenal intends to spend some serious money this summer.
chjoak
AG
Orstein says the Mbappe bid never happened
wangus12
AG
Supposedly Monaco turned down 120 from Madrid. These price inflations have really screwed the system. No 18 year old with one good season is worth that much.
chjoak
AG
I honestly think those numbers are BS. Just like the media claiming we offered 100. You honestly believe AW would spend that kind of money on a single player? Personally I think Monaco is spreading these rumors to keep teams away from their superstar.
wangus12
AG
Wouldn't be surprised.
wangus12
AG
Giroud scored a hat-trick for France today. 1st French player to score a hat-trick since 2000. He's in the Top-10 for french goal scorers now.

chjoak
AG
Giroud can be so damned good sometimes but he is so inconsistent. If he would play like that more often we wouldn't be talking about needing a new starting 9.
wangus12
AG
Sead Kolasinac has signed on a free transfer. Dude is 23. This might spell the end for Gibbs in the squad. Nacho is still far and away the starter as of now.

wangus12
AG
Szczesny is looks to be going to Juventus for for around 10-15m.

Another big rumor is that Bellerin has agreed to terms to return to Barcelona. I'll be disappointed if we didn't get a huge payout for him because I'm pretty sure he is on contract with us until 2022 and there is no reason to let him go. Guess they are banking on Oxlade-Chamberlain resigning and playing that wing back role.
TXAggie2011
AG
Don't know much about Kolasnic but I do know you can do worse for free. Guy is supposed to be able to play all over the defense so it'll be nice to have some flexibility from him.
chjoak
AG
wangus12 said:

Szczesny is looks to be going to Juventus for for around 10-15m.

Another big rumor is that Bellerin has agreed to terms to return to Barcelona. I'll be disappointed if we didn't get a huge payout for him because I'm pretty sure he is on contract with us until 2022 and there is no reason to let him go. Guess they are banking on Oxlade-Chamberlain resigning and playing that wing back role.
AW has said he isn't going anywhere and Bellerin has said he is staying but both were a few weeks ago and the rumors won't stop. The rumored price tag is 50 mil GBP. Barca supposedly offered one of Denis Suarez, Rafinha and Turan in a swap deal in order to lower the price.

I like Bellerin but like most Barca academy kids, the pull to return is always gonna be strong. It is highly likely that he will go back eventually. Only bonus I see to him going now is the financial return and the potential domino effect. Ox may be more likely to sign a new contract if he is the #1 at the RWB spot. Honestly I think Ox looked better at RWB in the new formation then Bellerin did. And if the rumors of player + cash are true, we could get some depth plus enough cash to get a backup RWB which would essentially make it a 2 for 1 deal.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.