A reason for Americans to not want to play in Europe

1,056 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by deadbq03
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You have to deal with this bull**** all the time. Dempsey and Bradley both had to prove themselves everytime a new coach comes in, there is a definite anti-american bias.

http://www.espnfc.us/story/3133862/uss-perry-kitchen-set-to-leave-scottish-club-hearts-report
gougler08
AG
PatAg said:

You have to deal with this bull**** all the time. Dempsey and Bradley both had to prove themselves everytime a new coach comes in, there is a definite anti-american bias.

http://www.espnfc.us/story/3133862/uss-perry-kitchen-set-to-leave-scottish-club-hearts-report
Perhaps the coach just thought the new guy was better? Players have to deal with that at all clubs when a coach leaves, not just in Europe
JoeOlson
AG
Quote:

"That's something for us, naturally he's not had a great time personally having not been in the side as often as any player would have liked but that's a personal thing," Cathro said. "These are things that happen as a team evolves, as a team grows and moves on. This is a natural thing and we all move forward. It's important that the [captain's] role is a more constant role and it's also important that we have a number of players who live their lives like that."

This feels like some massive shade being thrown? Definitely an odd thing for a coach to say with a former captain departing; but, he's got every right to make his own mark.
wangus12
AG
JoeOlson said:

Quote:

"That's something for us, naturally he's not had a great time personally having not been in the side as often as any player would have liked but that's a personal thing," Cathro said. "These are things that happen as a team evolves, as a team grows and moves on. This is a natural thing and we all move forward. It's important that the [captain's] role is a more constant role and it's also important that we have a number of players who live their lives like that."

This feels like some massive shade being thrown? Definitely an odd thing for a coach to say with a former captain departing; but, he's got every right to make his own mark.

Its not important.

I can't think of the last time an Arsenal captain started more than 5 games in a season
PatAg
AG
I'll just assume you haven't been following the game for long.
gougler08
AG
PatAg said:

There are plenty of Americans playing at a high level in the European leagues. It's not a conspiracy, it's how talented you are and what the coach wants to do. Maybe the new coach had a new formation and Kitchen isn't as good in that? Maybe he simply didn't like him?

Who knows, but to say that Americans are unfairly treated in the European leagues is rubbish

As for length of time, I've watched soccer for about 15 years now, so while I probably don't have the history about Americans in Europe from the 90s I do follow along well enough to keep track of how they've done over the past few years
Bryan98
AG
PatAg said:

I don't have a side in this debate, but can we leave this kind of response out? I see you post all the time, PatAg, and you seem like a good dude who loves the game. However, this is a frequent, condescending response among US soccer fans. It adds nothing to the conversation, and it proves nothing.

If your argument is correct, you can win it on the merits.
Dre_00
There may be anti-American bias...this doesn't prove it.

Was it anti-English bias when Giles Barnes was minimized after Coyle left and Barrett managed the Dynamo? He was captain too if I remember correctly. New managers bring inevitable, significant change. If they didn't, then they wouldn't have needed to be hired in the first place.
deadbq03
AG
I think the Bundesliga begs to differ:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2015/dec/23/why-german-soccer-wants-american-players
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.