Texas A&M 2017 Soccer Schedule is Live! (Non Conference for Now)

7,528 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by mullokmotx
CDub06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.12thman.com/schedule.aspx?path=wsoc
CDub06
AG
We start the season in San Diego facing Pepperdine & San Diego at San Diego's place.. I am so there.

Oregon and Oklahoma State are the highlights from our home schedule. And we have a trip to see Bri Young and her Jayhawks on September 10.
redd38
AG
104 days until the first (exhibition) game
mullokmotx
AG
In the story it said the second exhibition is Wednesday, August 10. I think the 10th is a Thursday. 3 of the 8 non conference games are on the road which maybe offsets that we don't have any super big name soccer powers on the schedule. I wonder if the big names are reluctant to play us. The last time we played Florida was at their place so it should be here this year and that should be the biggest game on the schedule. Interesting that G has opted for 2 exhibitions again this year. We usually just had 1.
On a side note, this weekend while attending the diamond sports I noticed a bunch of girls around the soccer complex, and then I saw G's tweet about welcoming the players from the US Under 15 team here for a training camp. I wonder how many of them we may see at Ellis Field in the future when they go to college.
An Ag in CO
AG
Quote:

I wonder how many of them we may see at Ellis Field in the future when they go to college.

Many of the 36 have already verbally committed, but the coaches on the women's side are starting to back off from the early commit frenzy of the last few years so more are available than would have been the case a year or two ago. So it's too early to tell how many SEC commits there are and who knows about future non-conference schedules.
Diego
AG
BTHO everybody on the schedule!
Penaltykick
True there aren't any UCLA/Penn St/FSU level teams on this list, but I love that there are some new teams on the schedule. Pepperdine is an excellent squad - not too familiar with San Diego.

Weren't both OK St and Florida exhibition matches last year? I recall they were both on the road ...
HiddenAg2
I have to admit I'm a bit puzzled with this non-conference schedule. Unless Coach G had real problems finding any elite schools to play us this year, this is a pretty non-challenging slate of teams. Make no mistake, this is not the A&M team of the last few years - we are a loaded, truly elite club with talent and depth that should contend for the College Cup. In similar years in the past, we usually scheduled at least 2 and sometimes 3 top 15 type schools to have a gauge of where the team needed to improve to be ready for the tournament. That does concern me a bit since this team will be completely untested until we face a Florida or Auburn in the SEC.

A&M has a chance to be a dominant team this Fall and I expect we will be ranked in the Top 5 all season. Outside of maybe Kansas and Pepperdine, there really isn't a team on this schedule that will be able to offer much resistance or test A&M's collection of talent. So, although I know we will be elite, there will still be that question of how we will do once we face a UCLA, Florida State, or Penn State in the tournament.
redd38
AG
Maybe the scare of almost not making the tournament last year has G re-thinking the non-conference slate. Maybe he thinks a less challenging start to the season will result in a more healthy end of the season.
redd38
AG
This will be the first season in program history that we don't play a team from Texas (at least in the regular season).
redd38
AG
If you look at the RPI that each of the 8 teams ended with last year then take the average you get 71.6.

Quote:

Pepperdine - 38
San Diego - 71
Oregon - 79
Oklahoma St - 56
DePaul - 54
Butler - 107
Kansas - 23
Cal State Fullerton - 145

Here's the previous year's final RPI average for non-conference foes for each year since we've joined the SEC:
2017 - 71.6
2016 - 73.4
2015 - 121.5
2014 - 51.5
2013 - 81
2012 - 68.6

So this is about average in that regard, just no really big marquee name this year.
mullokmotx
AG
I think a big reason we made the tournament last year was because we did play FSU and UCLA. It may be that we play both Florida and USC this year and both were #1 seeds last year.
Has anybody seen any preseason predictions for the SEC?
blake2003
AG
Get out of here with your "data"
Diego
AG

They forgot to include the 2017 Women's College Cup at Orlando City Soccer Stadium in Orlando, FL on Dec. 1 & 3 as part of our non-conference schedule.
redd38
AG
Florida is at A&M on Thu 9/21

I also assume that our conference schedule will be out soon.
redd38
AG
Alabama is at A&M on Thurs 10/5
HiddenAg2
mullokmotx said:

Has anybody seen any preseason predictions for the SEC?
After studying some rosters in the SEC, I think A&M should be an overwhelming favorite to win the conference. South Carolina lost basically their entire team except superstar McCaskill and Florida lost their best two players including Jordan. Auburn will be okay but not at last year's level, while Arkansas should be decent. The schedule shouldn't be too hard except the trips to Auburn and South Carolina. Florida is at home. I just don't see anyone at A&M's level next season.

On the national level Stanford and Penn State will battle for preseason #1, while UCLA, North Carolina, Duke, Virginia, Florida St, and Notre Dame will all be very good. A&M should be in that mix for a College Cup appearance.
redd38
AG
I don't know if we're overwhelming favorites, but I think at least some coaches will have us as preseason favorites. I don't think S Carolina needs much more than McCaskill to beat us, but I also don't think 1 loss will keep us from winning the conference. I think it'll depend a lot on how Cozy develops in goal and of course injuries. We certainly have most of the pieces for a great season.
HiddenAg2
South Carolina is not going to win big with 1 player. You have to be able to get her the ball in space before anything happens. They won't have the midfield needed to control games anymore. I'd be shocked if they competed for the SEC title this year.
redd38
AG
HiddenAg2 said:

You have to be able to get her the ball in space before anything happens.

That's what we thought like 3 times last year.
Diego
AG
HiddenAg2
redd38 said:

HiddenAg2 said:

You have to be able to get her the ball in space before anything happens.

That's what we thought like 3 times last year.
She's really good no doubt. But I still think the their midfielders will have a tough time keeping the ball enough to give her enough touches up front unless they just launch it and she out-muscles everyone for the ball.
Expert Analysis
AG
Got ticket renewal on the mail today. Renewals due by end of june.
redd38
AG
Expert Analysis said:

redd38
AG
Expert Analysis said:

Did the renewal form have the conference schedule on it?
redd38
AG
I'll answer my own question... it did not come with the conference schedule
redd38
AG
We don't play Tennessee this year.
redd38
AG
Vanderbilt is at A&M on Sun 10/22
redd38
AG
We don't play Kentucky this year.
Diego
AG
redd38 said:

We don't play Kentucky this year.
Where are you seeing this?
CDub06
AG
redd is doing some diligent digging through other schools that already have their schedules posted
Diego
AG
redd38
AG
Diego said:

CDub06 said:

redd is doing some diligent digging through other schools that already have their schedules posted
It would be good if he could post everything that he knows so far.

Only 5 SEC schools have their conference schedules out so far (since I last checked), and I've posted if and when we play those 5 schools in this thread.
TXAggie2011
AG
blake2003 said:

Get out of here with your "data"

Median, distribution are probable more important here than mean
Wicked Good Ag
Arkansas is here on sept 29th
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.