Joint US-Mexico-Canada World Cup bid

4,485 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by ChipFTAC01
AEK
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/10/world-cup-2026-host-bid-usa-canada-mexico-football?CMP=oth_b-aplnews_d-1

Could be interesting...
wangus12
AG
Is dumb as hell
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Who would get the host nation spot in seeding?
jeffk
AG
FIFA is considering giving all three nations an auto-bid.

At least USA gets 60 of the 80 group stage games and all games after that. Maybe by 2026 I can actually afford tickets...
Mathguy64
AG
Maximus_Meridius said:

Who would get the host nation spot in seeding?
By 2026 every nation will be in the WC and every team will be guaranteed to get out of the group stage. Hell, everyone will probably be given a WC trophy too.
gig them
AG
Quote:

Hell, everyone will probably be given a WC trophy too.

I'd still walk into a store and buy every bit of USA 2026 WC Champions gear that wasn't nailed to the floor.
CoolAggie
AG
My proposal:

Quarterfinals in Chicago, San Francisco, DC/Philly, Miami
Semifinals in New York & Jerry World or NRG
Final in new LA Rams/Chargers Stadium.
Third Place game in Boston or Atlanta (or Las Vegas for the sheer entertainment)

Mathguy64
AG
Quote:

I'm calling my shots now. There is no way FIFA plays a WC match in an indoor facility with grass laid down on top of an artificial surface.
amercer
AG
At least no new stadiums need to be built
gambochaman
AG
so does that mean concacaf will get 9 bids for that world cup? or everyone else fights for the remaining 3?
wangus12
AG
mathguy86 said:

Quote:

I'm calling my shots now. There is no way FIFA plays a WC match in an indoor facility with grass laid down on top of an artificial surface.

You'd be wrong if you think they won't play a match there.
CoolAggie
AG
True, but I'm hoping if chosen, those facilities will have a plan in place.
Mathguy64
AG
wangus12 said:

mathguy86 said:

Quote:

FIFA has pretty specific rules in their tournament manual they dictate they grades of surfaces they must play on. Grass over plastic won't meet the specs. They can always change them but there would be a big ass fight over it. They just recently wrote specs for artificial surfaces as part of the Women's WC. The turf has to be a certain minimum grade for blade and fill. Not saying they won't change them but as of now thise kinds of rolled over the top fields are not allowed. And I cannot imagine they would play on field turf.
JJxvi
AG
Games at NRG or at Cowboys Stadium for a World Cup would be on grass. Both of those venues can (and do) put down a legit grass surface for games in the summer (Copa America Centenario, etc)
JJxvi
AG
This all but guarantees that we are hosting. Mexico and Canada are the only real legitimate competition that I can see with UEFA and AFC blocked from bidding. So basically, we've upped the chances that we're gonna host when politics could have easily shifted it south or north without this deal when it came time to vote.

Everything on track for USA hoisting the trophy on July 4, 2026's 250th anniversary day...
byfLuger41
AG
**** a joint bid.

The US needs its own World Cup and we need it NOW!!!!
Aston94
AG
Details I saw yesterday suggested it essentially is a US bid. The group games will be divided 60-10-10 and every game quarterfinal on will be in the US.
Remember this will be the first mega-WC, so lots more games.
byfLuger41
AG
I'll be 40
jeffk
AG
I do find it humorous/sad that much of the narrative has been centered around how current US politics made a US-only bid unlikely to succeed.

YOU. GAVE. A. WORLD CUP. TO. RUSSIA.

YOU. GAVE. A. WORLD CUP. TO. QATAR.
byfLuger41
AG
jeffk said:

I do find it humorous/sad that much of the narrative has been centered around how current US politics made a US-only bid unlikely to succeed.

YOU. GAVE. A. WORLD CUP. TO. RUSSIA.

YOU. GAVE. A. WORLD. CUP. TO. QATAR.
Mathguy64
AG
Smith&Co1970 said:

I'll be 40
I'll be 62.
Aston94
AG
40? In 2026? And you are sad?

I passed 40, 5 years ago. I am afraid to do the math in what my age will be in 2026 (...I know, I know, I will be 54).
CoolAggie
AG
I like this joint bid for several reasons that have been stated in articles: Mexico and Canada can pull more votes our way, FIFA will probably encourage more joint bids due to expansion of tournament, and there was a possibility of Mexico bidding on their own (not that they would get it) but could possibly have taken votes away from us. We get 75% of the games and all the meaningful ones starting with the quarterfinals. I'm okay with this.
gig them
AG
I'm ok with it, too.

With the expanded format, we might not notice much of a difference. Sure, one or two R16 games won't be in the states, but I personally won't miss the extra group games that didn't even exist prior to 2026.
CoolAggie
AG
Bump...became more real today

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2017/07/06/16/50/20170706-news-united-bid-committee-for-canada-mexico-united-states-official-for-2026-fifa-world-cup
BMX Bandit
mathguy86 said:

wangus12 said:

mathguy86 said:

Quote:

FIFA has pretty specific rules in their tournament manual they dictate they grades of surfaces they must play on. Grass over plastic won't meet the specs. They can always change them but there would be a big ass fight over it. They just recently wrote specs for artificial surfaces as part of the Women's WC. The turf has to be a certain minimum grade for blade and fill. Not saying they won't change them but as of now thise kinds of rolled over the top fields are not allowed. And I cannot imagine they would play on field turf.

Dallas & Houston both included in the bid for 2022.

Almost a certainty both will be in 2026 bid
Sooner Born
mathguy86 said:

wangus12 said:

mathguy86 said:

Quote:

A$ FIFA ha$ proven in the pa$t, anything is po$$ible once you $tart to factor in the many different influence$ in play for any deci$ion.
randy828
AG
BMX Bandit said:

mathguy86 said:

wangus12 said:

mathguy86 said:

Quote:

Dallas & Houston both included in the bid for 2022.

Almost a certainty both will be in 2026 bid
Wouldn't it be cool if Kyle Field got to host a game or two?

I went to the Cotton Bowl for a game in the '94 WC. Great time!
PatAg
AG
I seem to remember them actually putting a lot of effort into the sod they put down for the gold cup us game at Jerry world. That surface looked good in person
PatAg
AG
So did I, it was one of my favorite games of any sport to attend.
If any city in Texas gets one, I'm going to it no matter what countries are playing.
ChipFTAC01
AG
A&M rejected being a potential host for the 2022 bid. Would presume they'd do the same for the 2026 bid.
Mike Elko
AG
PatAg said:

If any city in Texas gets one, I'm going to it no matter what countries are playing.
Well, duh.
gig them
AG
With Houston and Dallas facilities so close (and w/ roofs), Kyle doesn't really stand a chance.

But who knows? By then our enrollment will probably be 200k, and we could spring for a roof with money under the couch cushions.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I was thinking about it while I was at lunch and my guess is that the Canadian games will be in Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver and either Edmonton or Calgary. Mexico games will be at Azteca, Chivas and Monterey 's new stadium. Maybe Puebla.

The us stadiums will basically be all of the NFL stadiums in the 2022 bid except maybe swap in soldier field and I'd imagine the new LA stadium will get the games instead of the rose bowl and coliseum.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Now its three years later and we still don't know what cities will be hosting in 2026. FIFA is saying that they will pick next week but obviously in-city visits have been on hold. I saw that earlier this month they held workshops for the 17 American cities vying to be selected.

My guess as of today (in order of confidence)

1. New York (Meadowlands)
2. LA (wikipedia page for 2026 lists the Rose Bowl, but I assume it will be at the new NFL stadium?)
3. Jerryworld
4. Atlanta
5. Seattle
6. DC (FedEx) - ugh
7. Mile High - over Arrowhead
8. Levi Stadium - Another ugh
9. Miami - over Orlando
10. Boston - BIG UGH. But I'm sure Bob Kraft will get what he wants

I really would like Houston or KC to get it over Boston. Gillette Stadium is in the middle of nowhere. I also hate how FedEx & Levi's Stadium are way out in the suburbs,

Cities left out:
Houston, KC, Nashville, Orlando, Philly, Baltimore, Cincinnati
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.