USMNT Automatic Starters

3,107 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Bryan98
H.E. Pennypacker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Assuming a fully healthy roster, who do you guys see as Automatic starters going forward? To me:

Unquestionable: 1. Tim Ho (old, but still our best) 2. Yedlin 3. Cameron 4. Brooks 5. F. jo. 6. C Pulisic 7. Dempsey(keeps scoring)

I don't think Bradley and Altidore should be considered sure fire starters, and I would even rank Wood above both in game impact at this point.

Next in line, in order:

1. Wood
2. Bradley
3. Altidore
4. Bedoya
5. Jones
6. Morris
7. Nagbe
8. A. Jo
9. O. Gonzales
10. T. Chandler
11. Villafana

Am I missing someone? The dilemma for me is finding a spot for Wood without benching Dempsey or Jozy. Can he play wing? Or do you just bite the bullet and bench Jozy? It's probably a moot point as I'm sure these guys will never all be healthy at same time.

Edit: To clarify, I know someone like Bradley will always play, but I'm speaking about whether his on field impact currently should guarantee him a starting spot.
TheMasterplan
Bradley is a surefire starter at the moment given what we have.
jeffk
AG
We don't have anyone else who can fill the role MB plays right now, so yeah, he's a starter.

I've seen enough of the Jones-MB pairing centrally though.
jay040
I don't like when Bradley and Jones start together - and I prefer Bradley over Jones. Put Bradley in the lone CDM position.
jay040
I liked this take-away from American Soccer Now:

Quote:

How shorthanded was Bruce Arena's team? If you took the players Arena would have called up to this camp if not for injury or personal/family reasons, you could have built a better starting lineup than the one he trotted out Tuesday night in Panama.

Consider a starting lineup in a 4-1-3-2 formation with these players: Brad Guzan: DeAndre Yedlin, Michael Orozco, John Brooks, Eric Lichaj; Geoff Cameron; Fabian Johnson, Sebastian Lletget, Gyasi Zardes; Jordan Morris, and Bobby Wood.
jeffk
AG
That was my consoling thought over and over last night:

Wood finishes that.
Fabian puts a good cross in there.
Brooks wins that header.
Wondo scores here.
deadbq03
AG
I know nothing about soccer, but I'd bench Jozy in favor of Wood and not lose any sleep over it.

Probably the only beef I have over your guarantees is Howard... and that's not to say I think Guzan is better necessarily but rather that neither are guaranteed because they're both good options.
titanmaster_race
Yedlin is an unquestionable #2?.....
akm91
AG
For me it would be:

Howard
Yedlin-Cameron-Brooks-Villafana
Johnson-Bradley-Pulisic-Nagbe
Dempsey-Wood/Altidore

wangus12
AG
titanmaster_race said:

Yeah thats the only one I disagree with.
H.E. Pennypacker
AG
akm91 said:

For me it would be:

Howard
Yedlin-Cameron-Brooks-Villafana
Johnson-Bradley-Pulisic-Nagbe
Dempsey-Wood/Altidore

Me too.

In regard to Yedlin, unless you guys put Cameron there, who would y'all rather start at RB over him? Chandler? Zusi? That's why I think he's a sure starter. The only way to get an inexperienced defender experience is to play him.
wangus12
AG
I'll be honest, sometimes when watching Yedlin play in the Championship, I understand why JK played Chandler, especially based on their performances for their respective clubs.
Kramer
AG
Probably a dumb question but does Julian Green ever work his way into this squad?
fig96
AG
Kramer said:

Probably a dumb question but does Julian Green ever work his way into this squad?
I was actually about to ask this same question. Not quite sure what happened to him along the way?
Kramer
AG
An older and mature nagbe, Pulisic, Green midfield seems like an exciting prospect.
jay040
Yedlin's been lighting it up in the Championship league, going to get promoted back to EPL.
gig them
AG
deadbq03 said:

I know nothing about soccer, but I'd bench Jozy in favor of Wood and not lose any sleep over it.

You're not entirely off base, here. I think we need Jozy's hold up play against tougher opposition, but you can certainly make the argument that Wood is a better option against equal or lesser opponents. The way he plays just off the last defender's shoulder is a nightmare for back lines, and when you don't need him to soak up pressure and give our defense a break, it's a luxury you can afford.

I consider them 1A and 1B at this point.
fig96
AG
gig them said:

deadbq03 said:

You're not entirely off base, here. I think we need Jozy's hold up play against tougher opposition, but you can certainly make the argument that Wood is a better option against equal or lesser opponents. The way he plays just off the last defender's shoulder is a nightmare for back lines, and when you don't need him to soak up pressure and give our defense a break, it's a luxury you can afford.

I consider them 1A and 1B at this point.
I'd say we need Jozy's hold up play if that were a consistent factor. Unfortunately he's never quite developed into the force there that we all hoped he would be, he has his games but he also disappears for stretches.
PJD Ag 10
AG
This is the first time I can remember that we actually have 4 worthy starters up top at the international level with Dempsey, Wood, Altidore, and Morris. There's now a true selection each game, and I don't think fans are used to that at all.
LeonardSkinner
titanmaster_race said:

I read it simply as a list by relative position. GK, RB, CB, etc. Not that Howard is the best player, then Yedlin, and down the line.
LeonardSkinner
For the heck of it...

Howard
Yedlin Cameron Brooks Johnson
Bradley
Lletget Pulisic Nagbe
Dempsey Altidore

Bedoya is the all purpose midfield sub.
Wood and Morris in at striker depending on opponents and situations.
I still like Besler at CB, and I can keep going with Villafana at LB.

I think Johansson is a victim of numbers now. Jones ought to gracefully move on. Don't know what to make of the poor width and depth of the defensive player pool.
H.E. Pennypacker
AG
aggie kid said:

titanmaster_race said:

I read it simply as a list by relative position. GK, RB, CB, etc. Not that Howard is the best player, then Yedlin, and down the line.

Yeah, this is what I was doing. Starting in goal and moving up to forward, the guys that play for sure if healthy (IMO)
Dre_00
There seems to be confusion as to what "automatic starter' means. To me, it means a player that starts no matter who you are playing against, what formation you field, how important the game is and even if they've had a dip in form the past couple of games.

Honestly, I think the list is pretty short. Is Howard the best option at GK? Yeah, probably but he's 38 and if he puts together 2 bad games in a row, I'm not hesitating to drop his ass for Guzan. Altidore is probably the 1st option in certain situations but in others, Wood makes more sense.

Honestly, I can only think of 3 players that fit that criteria. Maybe 6.

Bradley
Yedlin (maybe)
Pulisic
Brooks (maybe)
Cameron (maybe)
FJ

Bradley: love him or hate him but I can't envision a time in the near future where he doesn't start if he's healthy.
Yedlin: I think here the comment about options behind him is pivotal. There aren't many good ones. That said, if he puts together 2 bad games in a row, I could see him getting pulled but I'm more confident that he wouldn't.
Pulisic: already our best player (and that's not an exaggeration). He's versatile in that he can play as an attacking mid or on either side as a winger.
Brooks and Cameron: I kind of bucket these two equally. Are they first choice? Probably. But there's a fair bit of depth at CB. If either's form slips, players like Gonzalez are ready to step in.
EDIT: FJ - I'd consider him an automatic starter. He's probably our 2nd best player and yet I completely forgot about him.
jeffk
AG
Can't wait to see FJ + Pulisic.
birdman
Johnson, Pulisic, Bradley. Those are the only guys you don't have to think about.
H.E. Pennypacker
AG
To me, Cameron is an Automatic starter bc he can play CB, RB, DM. If he's healthy, he's on the field somewhere in my mind.

To be honest, the guys at the top are few, but if you sat down and listed all he guys in the pool, it would be pretty obvious this is the deepest the USMNT has ever been. When A. Jo is probably you're 5th option at forward, that's depth the USMNT would have killed for during Arenas first run.

There are a bunch of guys in the "trash heap" that would fill in ok if necessary. I wonder if Arena has any reclamation projects in him.
10Aggie10
AG
Bradley
Cameron
Johnson
Pulisic

Run em out every time they're available for selection
deadbq03
AG
I'm not sure why some of y'all are leaving Brooks off the list. I know it's not a perfect measure, but he's the 2nd most valuable US player on the market, and deservedly so in my opinion...

After watching the abomination of a back line we had last night, I'm not sure how some folks can leave him and/or Cameron off the list.
jeffk
AG
Honestly kinda bummed none of you caught my joke earlier this morning.
LeonardSkinner
jeffk said:

I thought you were still hungover.
JJxvi
AG
jeffk said:

I laughed, but I just read the thread for the first time now.
JoeOlson
AG
jeffk said:

That was my consoling thought over and over last night:

Wood finishes that.
Fabian puts a good cross in there.
Brooks wins that header.
Wondo scores here.
Well done
H.E. Pennypacker
AG
jeffk said:

This being Texags, I assume every ridiculous statement is made seriously. I've probably just spent too much time on the Politics board
akm91
AG
Someone brought up the thought of this formation:

Howard
Yedlin - Cameron - Brooks - Villafana
Bradley
Pulisic - Dempsey - Johnson
Wood - Altidore

With the midfield playing in a diamond having Dempsey play just behind Wood and Altidore. It's very attack oriented that's for sure.
Bryan98
AG
jeffk said:

I didn't see this thread until today, but I did spot your joke immediately!

I also spotted a bizarre number of people starting Altidore over Wood. Really? I like Altidore, but I feel like he's been a consistent disappointment for the team, to say nothing of his long trouble with injuries.

Regarding automatic starters: Fabian Johnson was our best player until Pulisic showed up, as a couple other people have noted. He has to start somewhere.

I still love Nagbe somewhere in the midfield. I love how he possesses the ball and links up with the other players. I wouldn't call him an automatic starter, but I would continue to start him unless someone else demands playing time.

At least one person mentioned Lletget - was that before we got the news that he needs surgery? He won't be playing for the team this summer, in qualifying or the Gold Cup.

Here's my starting XI:

Howard
Yedlin Cameron Brooks Villafana
Bradley
FabJo Pulisic Nagbe
Dempsey Wood

I realize that we're actually building some consensus around this lineup. That might show we don't have enough hard decisions, but we are a lot deeper than we have been in the past (when we're healthy). I also want a fairly regular lineup compared to the constant switcheroos from Klinnsman. Remember when he kept the team the same in the group stage of the Copa and we couldn't believe it? XD

For depth, I think Tim Ream mostly looked good in the last two games. If you wanted to play Cameron elsewhere, or if we have more injuries, he's the first choice. I like Omar but I don't think either game was particularly good for him.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.