Lincoln City FA Cup Run

1,335 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Serotonin
Wrighty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Best soccer story of the year. Lincoln City has made it to the quarterfinals of the FA Cup, and play at the Emirates against Arsenal on Saturday.

English Soccer leagues are as follows:
1) Premier League
2) English Football League Championship
3) English Football League One
4) English Football League Two
After this comes the non-league divisions, starting with:
5) National League.

Lincoln City is in the National League.
This is the farthest a non-league team has made it in the FA Cup in over 100 years. They have beaten two Championship teams as well as one or two League One and League Two teams, and just knocked off Burnley of the premier league.

In preparation for this weekend's game, Arsenal tried to send scouts to Lincoln's upcoming (non)league away game, and the scouts were turned away! I suspect that Lincoln's fellow non-league opposition is trying to do Lincoln a favor!

I'm sure there are fun stories of the players for LIncoln: Here is one about their "star" striker who only turned professional at age 28 and probably makes something like 0.1% of what Arsenals' player make.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4232558/Lincoln-City-striker-Matt-Rhead-ready-knock-Burnley.html

Go Imps!

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/18/sports/soccer/lincoln-city-shocks-burnley-at-the-fa-cup.html?_r=0

[url=https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/18/sports/soccer/lincoln-city-shocks-burnley-at-the-fa-cup.html?_r=0][/url]
Dre_00
The amount of money that Lincoln has made off this run should fill their coffer for years. Their share of gate receipts from the Arsenal game should be well into the millions of pounds.
RoamingGnome
Good Bull
aggie7911
Their back up goalie doesn't eat meat pies does he ?
Wrighty
AG
I wish we could watch a chart of wengers blood pressure during the game, and watch it climb as arsenal cant score.
Diego
AG
Arsenal v Lincoln City - Emirates Stadium - Saturday, March 11th 11:30am CST
Wrighty
AG
here we go..
Wrighty
AG
what is the O/U on headers won by Rhead. 37?
Basketball and Chain
AG
The dream is over.
Wrighty
AG
They were outclassed, but they are a good team in their own right. I guess it shouldn't be a surprise that even in the lower leagues there a lot of talented players in England.

Serotonin
AG
Yet another reason to hate Arsenal!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.