***EPL Relegation Watch 2017***

11,664 Views | 147 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by gig them
MB19
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A spot in the Premiership will be settled with kicks from the penalty mark.
MB19
AG
Huddersfield Town win on penalties 4-3.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
I'm always on the fence in big final matches - do you play the extra 30 and settle it with penalties or do you play unlimited silver goal 15 minute additions? On one hand, I hate to see such big fixtures decided from the spot but on the other hand, endless extra time could mean a war of attrition.

Probably better as the subject of its own thread.

Either way, congrats to Huddersfield and their American boss.
MB19
AG
Wagner, the Huddersfield manager I thought was a German. I was listening to TalkSport last night and they were commenting that Wagner and Jurgen Klopp are close friends. Wagner I believe was Dortmund's youth coach when Klopp was manager there.
JJxvi
AG
American father, german mother. Played for the USA in the late 90s
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
German raised for sure but senior level caps were for USA.
Dre_00
Reading had their own German-American...Danny Williams...who by all accounts played magnificently and was (understandably) inconsolable after the result. Would love for a team in the EPL to make a move for him. I have no doubt he could be valuable for a bottom half EPL team.

What Wagner has done there is nothing short of remarkable. They were effectively a perennial League 1/League 2 club that had been hanging on by the skin of their teeth to Championship football (finished 19th, 17th, 16th, and 19th in the 4 seasons prior to this one). When he was hired, they had only won 3 of their first 17 games. They went on to win 10 of their final 29 confirming their Championship status with weeks to spare.

I expect they'll pull a Blackpool next season and go straight back down but like Blackpool, they'll win over more than a few fans in doing so. Let's hope the Blackpool similarities stop there though.
agsalaska
AG
blindey said:

I'm always on the fence in big final matches - do you play the extra 30 and settle it with penalties or do you play unlimited silver goal 15 minute additions? On one hand, I hate to see such big fixtures decided from the spot but on the other hand, endless extra time could mean a war of attrition.

Probably better as the subject of its own thread.

Either way, congrats to Huddersfield and their American boss.
I understand it is logistically very challenging, but I think the right answer is replays, at least domestically. They did it for the FA Cup as recently as 1993. The time for replays has probably rightfully past for Cup finals, but these promotion finals are the richest most important games in domestic soccer. They should be decided on the field.
gig them
AG
I loved Blackpool's run. Probably the strongest I've ever pulled for a neutral small squad in the PL.

Totally on board with adopting Huddersfield next year.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.