Youth Soccer - Playing ball from the ground (or while on the ground)

780 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by agracer
agracer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Refereeing a game yesterday, U15 player is on the ground and kicks the ball away from opposing team. Everyone screaming "can't play the ball from the ground"...didn't call anything as nothing he did was worthy of stopping play, was not dangerous, didn't foul anyone so I let play continue.

I thought later was what he did really in infraction of the rules. So I looked. It's not. No where in the FIFA laws does it say a player cannot play the ball while on the ground. I looked at our league's rules (which are FIFA laws with some modifications for subs, field size, team sizes, etc.) and no where in those rules does it say a player cannot play the ball while on the ground.

So where did this whole "can't play the ball from the ground" thing start?

EDIT: I did have it in my head that youth players cannot play the ball from the ground as it can be dangerous, but in this situation U15 is old enough that it was not a factor here.
Aston94
AG
I think the rule was changed 4-5 years ago. Used to be a dangerous play automatically if ball was played from ground. No longer automatically considered a dangerous play.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, it's been adjusted recently to allow playing from the ground unless it causes a dangerous situation.
jeffk
AG
And parents are stupid.
PatAg
AG
It's more when the player is partially obscuring the ball or wrapped around another players leg in my opinion
TheMasterplan
PatAg said:

It's more when the player is partially obscuring the ball or wrapped around another players leg in my opinion
This. If the player is on the ground and trying to win the ball against another player, I call. If he falls and he kicks the ball on the ground without opponents around, I keep playing.

Tell the parents to suck it. That was always fun to do as a teenager.
Griffle
I know that the indoor place where my son plays doesn't allow it, but outdoor does. Maybe it's similar confusion?
agracer
AG
Articles I found on ask the ref go back as far as 2010 stating its not a rule, and never really has been.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.