***** MLS 2017 Thread *****

3,048 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Out in Left Field
heddleston
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Opening Week is coming up! This thread is for anything MLS that doesn't fit into the Dynamo/FCD threads.

My predictions for the year:

Open Cup: Sporks
Supporter's Shield: Seattle
MLS Cup: Seattle
MVP: Nicolas Lodeiro (SSFC)
Out in Left Field
AG
Well that escalated quickly.
heddleston
AG
It's going to be really interesting over the next 3 or so years to look at the Loons and ATL and see how the differences in team building play out.

ATL has gone big and signed DPs, splash hires, etc. Theyre really trying to get support built up and create buzz this first season.

On the other hand I couldn't tell you if Minn ever got a DP off the top of my head. They're definitely playing the long game and can afford to since they have some grassroot support already built in from their NASL days.
Kampfers
AG

Open Cup: FCD
Supporter's Shield: TFC
MLS Cup: FCD
CCL: FCD

I think the SS goes back to the East this year as a result of unbalanced scheduling. TFC is the pick of the litter there so I chose them. Other than that I decided to be as homerific as heddleston.
heddleston
AG
if we can't embrace shameless homerism on Texags, I think we miss the whole point of this magical place.
Out in Left Field
AG
Not going well for Mini
Dre_00
Well if we're going down this road....

USOC: Houston Dynamo
SS: Houston Dynamo
MLS Cup: Houston Dynamo
CCL: Houston Dynamo
UEFA CL: Houston Dynamo
Bundesliga: Houston Dynamo
Super Bowl: Houston Dynamo
NCAA WBB Tourney: Houston Dynamo
heddleston
AG
No way do they get past UCONN
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Dre_00 said:

Well if we're going down this road....

USOC: Houston Dynamo
SS: Houston Dynamo
MLS Cup: Houston Dynamo
CCL: Houston Dynamo
UEFA CL: Houston Dynamo
Bundesliga: Houston Dynamo
Super Bowl: Houston Dynamo
NCAA WBB Tourney: Houston Dynamo
this post would have been believable if you had the Dynamo winning the formula one world championship and being invited to join the Big 12.
stillmerk
AG
Whitecaps v tigres in CCL tonight.
Bryan98
AG
stillmerk said:

9pm. Any channel showing it other than pirate streams? I've been planning to watch it and pull for the MLS team.
PatAg
AG
Bryan98 said:

stillmerk said:

9pm. Any channel showing it other than pirate streams? I've been planning to watch it and pull for the MLS team.
facebook live showed all the fc dallas games
stillmerk
AG
TSN will have it!
Bryan98
AG
PatAg said:

Bryan98 said:

stillmerk said:

facebook live showed all the fc dallas games
This was the answer, thanks. I ended up plugging my iPad into my TV to watch the Facebook stream.

Not a great performance by Vancouver.
wangus12
AG
Atlanta looks legit. Absolutely dominated Chicago
Dre_00
Schweinsteiger is coming to MLS. Chicago Fire sign him to a DP contract worth $4.5 million a year. Pretty sure United let him go on a free.
YankeeAg05
Why do Fire want Schweinsteiger? Great player sure but Dax is already one of best d mids in the league and I thought Juninho played a similar role. They don't seem in need of spending DP money on an aging player at that position. I don't think he draws in the fans there either.
Out in Left Field
AG
Jersey $$$ !
Dre_00
I think you're exactly right to be honest however...I think they might try and play him in a more advanced role. And I don't think it's going to work.
Out in Left Field
AG
Dempsey steals a point from Portland with Seattle down a man.
Dre_00
My take = horrible
aggie7911
Mls refs had a bad wknd
heddleston
AG
Seattle came back from 3-0 to win 4-3 against DCU the other day, making them the first team in MLS history to do so (not counting early MLS shootouts).
gig them
AG
First real play I've seen for prom/rel

heddleston
AG
MLS' current contract has an exclusivity deal that keeps them from even entertaining new deals from groups outside their current partners until like 2021 or so. This is just a publicity stunt for the Miami FC's owner to get under the league's skin and swing his **** around and show how much money he has. If Beckham FC truly has its poop in a group, and it looks like they finally might, Silva's team may not even be viable entity by the time this theoretical deal would come into place.
YankeeAg05
Anyone catch the all star game? MLS put on a decent show and created their fair share of chances. I haven't seen Atlanta play other then highlights so it was fun to see in real time how fast Almiron is. Thought Kaka looked off the pace. Hasn't he been injured and missed a chunk of the season? Don't think he deserved a spot.
wangus12
AG
I think the big name designated players are simply given a spot regardless of their actual season sometimes. I thought Kaka looked far off the pace as well
akm91
AG
Speaking of Atlanta, Greg Garza has to be one of those "injury prone" guys. The poor guy can't catch a break regarding injuries! Last night apparently he separated his shoulder.
aggiesoccer#1fan
AG
https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/08/23/audi-2017-mls-cup-playoffs-schedule-revealed-final-be-played-dec-9
heddleston
AG
NYCFC's Sept 23 game against Houston has been moved to Hartford, CT because the Yankees have to make up a rainout that day. Why they decided they needed to go to freakin Connecticut i don't know, but its pretty hilarious considering they hold the whole "We actually play in NY" thing over RBNYs head all the time. So with the NY derby being played at Red Bull Arena this weekend;

they brought the freaking Hartford Whalers mascot out;

they played Brass Bonanza during pregame;

and their TIFO game was on point;

fantastic!
Out in Left Field
AG
Got to go to the Montreal at Atlanta game today. Have to say it was awesome. The new stadium is impressive. The crowd was loud and involved. We "sat" (stood) in the supporters section and they kept the chants going the whole game.

43,000 people doing the Iceland clap thing gave me goosebumps.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.