Youth Soccer Tips

1,547 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Smokedraw01
Smokedraw01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm coaching a u-10 girls rec league team. This team has been together for a while but this team is probably going to break up after the spring as a few players try to play club. My daughter is one of them.

Anyway, I'm looking to help these girls as best possible. I usually have them doing foootwork drills like inside/outside foot, baby-v's, and such. Then we work on dribbling through cones(1-1/2yards apart) with both feet, only one foot, and just the outside of their feet. Passing drills, pass and move drills.

Is there anything I'm missing. Or something you'd recommend? A lot of what I'm doing is from what what I know about coaching basketball and trying to incorporate some of what I see as similar movements and skills. Also lots of YouTube. Any channels you would rec?
DeangeloVickers
AG
http://www.usyouthsoccer.org/coaches/coachconnect_lessonplans/
DuncanField91
AG
I came from a similar basketball coaching background trying to adapt it to soccer. Funny thing is that coaching soccer started influencing my basketball drill selection too!

I used this video to build a ball skill building routine with my kids. Initially, they could only perform the first 5-6, but eventually, they were able to nail all of this.

The other area that I find useful to specifically train is developing a tactical (or spacing) sense. Rondo drills are great for this. I find I use rondos more and more as I think of new tweaks to bring in. After they get bored of straight rondos, add in requirements, like one-touch only, or two-touch only, or adding an offensive player free to run through the middle - extra points for passing in and out to her, splitting defenders, etc. There is endless progression as your kids get more comfortable with the tight space control.

http://coachingamericansoccer.com/soccer-drills/soccer-rondo-drills/

Good luck!
Smokedraw01
Thanks. After reading both sites, I feel good about what I've been doing so far. My focus has been on individual skills more than anything.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.