ala Van Basten, here are my rule changes

1,108 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Mathguy64
snowdog90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
1. Offsides rule change. Once the ball crosses midfield, or a new line maybe 35 yards out, no offsides. Similar to hockey offside rule.

2. No more pk's. Fouls inside the box, direct free kick from spot, no wall allowed, like beach soccer fouls.

3. More subs allowed. I'm not sure if I like free subs or not, like basketball, but more than 3.

4. Red card does not mean you're a man down anymore. Kick the guy out and replace him.

5. No more pk shootouts. 15 min ot 11 v. 11. Then 15 min 10 v. 10. Then 5 min each of 9 v. 9 down to 7 v. 7 until someone wins. 7 v. 7 is as few as I would go.

PatAg
AG
snowdog90 said:

1. Offsides rule change. Once the ball crosses midfield, or a new line maybe 35 yards out, no offsides. Similar to hockey offside rule.

2. No more pk's. Fouls inside the box, direct free kick from spot, no wall allowed, like beach soccer fouls.

3. More subs allowed. I'm not sure if I like free subs or not, like basketball, but more than 3.

4. Red card does not mean you're a man down anymore. Kick the guy out and replace him.

5. No more pk shootouts. 15 min ot 11 v. 11. Then 15 min 10 v. 10. Then 5 min each of 9 v. 9 down to 7 v. 7 until someone wins. 7 v. 7 is as few as I would go.

I don't like any of your rule changes either.
who?mikejones
AG
No.
snowdog90
Figured I'd get some pushback. Oh well. Something needs to be done, though, about the diving. Diving to get pk's, diving to get gree kicks, diving to get pther team carded. Too much pressure on refs to determine dive from foul. Red cards and pk's are so overweighted. Sucks to see a 1-0 game where the goal is a pk, and the losing team played with 10 men for 65 minutes.
gambochaman
AG
see, here's the thing. athletes will always ALWAYS find a way to stretch the rules in their favor, so no matter what rules you enact, you will not be able to fully eliminate players trying to get a call. this is true for pretty much every single sport
and I disagree that something needs to be done about the diving. its not that bad. and the onus is on the ref to enforce the rules correctly, as it should be.
who?mikejones
AG
Issue cards and fines after the game has been reviewed for incidents. Fine the player and team. Ban the player for a couple of games. Just do it post match.

And they'll still break the rules when the rewards outweigh the consequences. See Luis Suarez in WC 2010.
AG@RICE
AG
snowdog90 said:

These are great. Ill add a few more:

6) One outfield player is allowed to use his hands or at the very least a giant Jai alai racket.
7) Throw ins can be taken with a 3 man water balloon launcher
8) There will be a live poll that fans can vote on using a cell phone to decide if a player took a dive. If the poll decided he did, he will be awarded a red card.
9) Give each coach 7 timeouts to use throughout the game
10) Give the goal keeper a set of paddles to use for PKs to level the playing field
11) At the start of every game, we ask someone who doesnt really like soccer to come up with a stupid rule to fix the game. That game will then be played with that specific trial rule. If 2/3rds of the fans attending the game enjoy the rule it becomes FIFA law.
deadbq03
AG
As a new fan of soccer with zero playing experience past the 2nd grade, I find that the more subjective/arbitrary aspects of the game are what draw me in the most. The game is art, not science.

Watching your team's seemingly brilliant goal called back for offsides or watching your team lose on PK's is brutal... but to me, it reflects life. Sometimes you can do everything right and still lose.
gambochaman
AG
Quote:

See Luis Suarez in WC 2010

greatest play in recent memory. I have zero issues with what he did. Freaking heads up, sacrificed himself and gave his team a chance
wangus12
AG
Quote:

Red cards and pk's are so overweighted. Sucks to see a 1-0 game where the goal is a pk, and the losing team played with 10 men for 65 minutes.
This has already been changed somewhat in the past year. Now if it is a foul in the box that is deserving of a red card like a lunging, studs-up two footer, then yeah pk and red card. But if its a last man type of situation, it'll just be a yellow.
gig them
AG
I don't hate the "more subs" concept.

Concussions are an interesting phenomenon in soccer, as you have to balance player safety against the minimal substitutions available to you. You also have to literally play down a man while the off-field inspection takes place.

I don't know how I'd apply it, exactly, and I'm sure the rules would be bent... but one free sub for head injuries (particularly if an extended concussion inspection is required) could be useful.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
deadbq03 said:

As a new fan of soccer with zero playing experience past the 2nd grade, I find that the more subjective/arbitrary aspects of the game are what draw me in the most. The game is art, not science.

Watching your team's seemingly brilliant goal called back for offsides or watching your team lose on PK's is brutal... but to me, it reflects life. Sometimes you can do everything right and still lose.
It pains me to agree with this post.

I think this encapsulates why the only change I would consider is a seamless review system for very major calls (goal, goal disallowed, PK given, straight red). Even then, I'm still a skeptic until it can be shown to integrate into the game without causing delay or interference.
titanmaster_race
gambochaman said:

Quote:

greatest play in recent memory. I have zero issues with what he did. Freaking heads up, sacrificed himself and gave his team a chance

Schadenfreude was strong that day, with the recent memory of Ghanaians being carted off the field against us in extra time, only to pop right up and enter the field of play. No sympathy at all from me for Suarez's hand ball.
snowdog90
Hilarious post. I laughed out loud on a couple. I realize my rule changes would never be enacted, but am curious to see how some would change the game (for the better?).

However, don't accuse me of not loving the game. I've played all my life, including for the Aggie club team during the late 80's. Sometimes, change is good.
who?mikejones
AG
gambochaman said:

Quote:

I agree.
tysker
AG
snowdog90 said:

The argument against dropping the number of players in OT is that players are already tired which decreases quality of play and increases the risk on injury.

How about both teams drop two players and each team has to sub on another player that has not already played. So 15 min of 10v10 (9 old +1 new) , 15 min of 9v9 (7old +2 new) , 15 min of 8v8 (5old +3 new) ... Would make for interesting strategy choices.

side-note: this lets more players get more game experience and more money as more could be capped
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
gambochaman said:

Quote:

I agree with this 100%. It was a risk taken within the confines of the rules of the game and it paid off. If this was a domestic cup final, I wonder how various football associations would react to/punish this type of play.
TheMasterplan
I will say I'm intrigued by a few of these...they are definitely suggestions I've never heard/read before over the years.

Red card may not necessarily mean down a man but you should still miss the next match. Or more if it's that bad.

I hate that a team plays a man down for an injury. I think a temporary sub should be allowed.
TXAGBQ76
AG
How about ejection and suspension for absolutely ridiculous flops that occur multiple times a game?
Aston94
AG
snowdog90 said:

Figured I'd get some pushback. Oh well. Something needs to be done, though, about the diving. Diving to get pk's, diving to get gree kicks, diving to get pther team carded. Too much pressure on refs to determine dive from foul. Red cards and pk's are so overweighted. Sucks to see a 1-0 game where the goal is a pk, and the losing team played with 10 men for 65 minutes.

I think having one referee on the field monitoring 22 players is ridiculous. Add a ref or two and a lot of your issues are resolved.
Griffle
Just curious...you realize that you can't be offsides in your own half right?
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

I think having one referee on the field monitoring 22 players is ridiculous.

Its beyond ridiculous and I've been saying that for years. My guess is that the players and coaches don't want to change it since they still want to get away with stuff.
Mathguy64
AG
Griffle said:

Just curious...you realize that you can't be offsides in your own half right?

Actually, with the changes in the Offside Law this last year you now can be offside in your own half. Or at least that's where the restart is. If you are in an offside position in your offensive end but come back into your own half to receive a pass, the location where the offside is marked is where you played he ball. And that's where he restart is. So you are now technically offside in your own half.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.