48 team world cup expected to be approved

3,734 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Bryan98
gambochaman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.espnfc.com/fifa-world-cup/story/3033193/man-uniteds-jose-mourinho-totally-in-favour-of-48-team-world-cup

Starting in 2026

BOO THIS CRAP
randy828
AG
The extra teams should all be from Europe or South America. Better not give any additional to our region or Oceania...or whatever.

gambochaman
AG
Yeah....thats exactly whats going to happen
More african teams and more asian teams
I imagine that conmebol and uefa are going to get the least additional teams
wangus12
AG
Settle down guys. The world will end before we get there
PJD Ag 10
AG
It will really take any excitement out of qualifying, that's for sure. No more drama in Europe or south America (or concacaf) for that matter. Can't wait to see the "epic" playoff battle of new Zealand and Finland for spot 48.
DuncanField91
AG
FIFA should look to NCAA football and realize that a four team playoff is all that is needed.
titanmaster_race
can we just skip the qatar cup?

human rights violations
100+
slave labor
stadiums that look like vaginas
human rights violations
winter world cup
slave labor
48 teams

GTFO fifa
gambochaman
AG
Qatar is in 2022
Front runner for 2026 is US
oragator
gambochaman said:

Qatar is in 2022

Actually a larger World Cup favors us as a host, more teams means more Fans, more games...larger infrastructure needs, hotels, airports, stadiums etc. it starts to price the Qatars and South Africa's if the world out of the market.
LSU Baseball Fan
There have been rumors of the US, Mexico, and Canada teaming up to host a massive North American super World Cup in 2026. If it really will be 48 teams, a 3 country World Cup actually is pretty feasible.

3 Canadian stadiums (Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal)
2 or 3 Mexican stadiums ( Including Azteca obviously)
About 10 American stadiums
Final at the Rose Bowl

Could potentially be amazing. I don't want 48 teams either, but that means more money for FIFA, so it'll probably happen.
LSU Baseball Fan
oragator said:

gambochaman said:

Qatar is in 2022

Actually a larger World Cup favors us as a host, more teams means more Fans, more games...larger infrastructure needs, hotels, airports, stadiums etc. it starts to price the Qatars and South Africa's if the world out of the market.

Money isn't a problem for Qatar, unfortunately. They are literally building entire cities that don't currently exist for the 2022 WC. Until we stop paying for their oil, they will never run out of money. Thousands will die building those stadiums. Screw FIFA.

But yeah, I agree with your point. Expanding the tournament will make it a high-cost albatross countries are scared to touch, like the Olympics are now. I see a lot of joint-nation World Cups in the future, and China will definitely get the next available AFC bid for around 2040 or so.
PatAg
AG
some bull****
Mathguy64
AG
48 teams with 16 groups of 3. Thats just idiotic. You only get two guaranteed games rather than 3, so one bad game is going to even more difficult to come back from. And more importantly that means teams will know needed outcomes for their last game as groups cannot have everyone play together at the end. With groups of 3 someone has to play the first two of the set and two teams will get to play last together. That opens the door for some serious collusion at the end. And depending on who plays when you get very unequal amounts of rest between groups and knockout stages.

If they want 48 teams the would be better off with 12 groups of 4. That removes the messy group stuff. It makes it messy to get the knockout going though. Top 2 in each group is 24 teams. Best 8 get byes and remaining 16 play knockout first would work. Knowing FIFA they will probably take top two in each group and next best 8 of the 3rd place teams to get to 32 and then you have a 32 team knockout. Thats a whole extra round though and it makes the whole tourney an extra week longer.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
I'm just saying - why not eliminate pretense and go straight to 256? Top ~60 FAs get a B-team too!
titanmaster_race
I guess I should read the article before ranting
titanmaster_race
most of my points still stand though
gambochaman
AG
it has been officially approved

preliminary numbers:

UEFA - 16 teams
Africa - 9.5 Teams
Asia - 8.5 teams
Conmebol - 6.5 teams
Concacaf - 6.5 teams
OFC - 1 team

Mathguy64
AG
Quote:

Concacaf - 6.5 teams

Well that makes the Hex kind of pointless.
LSU Baseball Fan
Not surprised at all. $$$ talks.

And yeah, that kind of takes the fun out of qualifying. No more Hex, and very little chance of the US screwing up and not qualifying. Even England couldn't mess that up.

If there's anything good about this, the US is rumored to be the likely first host of the massive new tournament, so we'd be making history at least.
wangus12
AG
Asia getting 8.5 is total bs. OFC deserves 2 spots. I want Tonga in the World Cup because I want the Haka in the cup and the NZ team doesn't do it.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
wangus12 said:

Asia getting 8.5 is total bs. OFC deserves 2 spots. I want Tonga in the World Cup because I want the Haka in the cup and the NZ team doesn't do it.
Combination money grab/FIFA social justice warriorism.

They're doing the most expansion in growth markets (i.e. make sure China gets in every year; give lots of spots to crappy African teams). 2 extra slots for Europe out of 16 total is nonsense too.

Terrible all around. I hope that the USSF and UEFA tell FIFA to go pound sand.
randy828
AG
gambochaman said:

it has been officially approved

preliminary numbers:

UEFA - 16 teams
Africa - 9.5 Teams
Asia - 8.5 teams
Conmebol - 6.5 teams
Concacaf - 6.5 teams
OFC - 1 team

Wow, that makes me sick. I have been thinking CONCACAF and Asia should get less teams and now they are getting more? We could now send all MLS guys the majority of qualifying and bring in the European games just for the final few games and WC. I don't like it...not at all.
EastSideAg2002
Patronage Politics
gambochaman
AG
yup...it is TERRIBLE

conmebol will get 70% of their tems to qualify for the WC...think about that one for a second (and yet somehow, venezuela will still miss out )
titanmaster_race
CONCACAF gets 3 more teams, and Europe only gets 2? what a joke CONCACAF doesn't even deserve 3.5 total squads
LSU Baseball Fan
titanmaster_race said:

CONCACAF gets 3 more teams, and Europe only gets 2? what a joke CONCACAF doesn't even deserve 3.5 total squads

I actually think 3.5 is the perfect number for CONCACAF. Don't forget, 3 of the 4 teams made the knockout round in the last World Cup, compared to 0 for Asia and 2 for Africa.

To be honest the 24-team World Cup was probably the right amount, but no going back now. What's garbage is Asia getting 8.5 when they currently deserve like 3 at the most. Obviously a ploy to make sure China qualifies every time.
JJxvi
AG
I cant imagine any way to do the 16x3 version of the draw without straight rankings 3 pots of 16. So in 2014 we would have been in Pot A with something like the following teams. Seems like a lot of ways to get ****ed or get a blowoff.

Pot A
Brazil
Spain
Germany
Argentina
Colombia
Belgium
Uruguay
Switzerland
Netherlands
Italy
England
Chile
United States
Portugal
Greece
Bosnia

Pot B
Ivory Coast
Croatia
Russia
Ukraine
France
Ecuador
Ghana
Mexico
Sweden
Romania
Costa Rica
Algeria
Nigeria
Honduras
Panama
Venezuela

Pot C
Cameroon
Tunisia
Egypt
Burkina Faso
Senegal
Australia
Iran
Japan
South Korea
Uzbekistan
Jordan
Qatar
Oman
Jamaica
New Zealand
Ethiopia
JJxvi
AG
If you're like the USA or Mexico world ranking is gonna be important because you could get really, really ****ed when you're below 16 and you get the wrong african/asian team from pot C
tylercsbn9
AG
Complete garbage

This is a transparent pay off to Asia, Africa, and Oceania which has more federations and thus voting power but not actual quality. I'd rather watch a 24-team World Cup only including UEFA and the Americas.

This will only dilute to the quality of the teams in the cup and qualifying is literally useless for almost everywhere outside of Europe and South America. I don't want more crap teams like Trinidad, Malaysia, or China. The only teams to include are the respectable European and South American sides missing the cut.
PatAg
AG
I can't believe this is going to actually happen.
TXAggie2011
AG
I love trying to build the sport everywhere. But this isnt how I want that done.

I'm hoping for some crooked scores and that the world loses some interest in watching many of those group games, as much as that pains me to say.

And really, I know, the world will still watch and the money will be made. I just can't see any return from this.
jay040
The only thing I really like about this is that maybe some of the players I enjoy watching are more likely to play in the World Cup.

Gareth Bale - Wales
Zlatan - Sweden
Eriksen - Denmark

Also, there could be an Iran vs in a World Cup match. You'd watch that, right? (Israel finished 3rd in their qualifying group after Russia and Portugal)
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
I'm curious as to at what point will big spending clubs just incorporate a "no national team duty" clause into their expensive players' contracts. I, for one, hope that it is sooner than later.

Besides, with the diluted format, its not like the big name countries even need their top talent until the round of 16 (or later).
Mathguy64
AG
I would pay $$ to watch North Korea v South Korea.
byfLuger41
AG
I think the majority of the SBA (Soccer Board Army) posters hated FIFA before this and will continue to do so, but have any top flight players/coaches commented on the expansion?

The US should never miss a WC post expansion.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.