Swansea fire Bob Bradley

1,453 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by PJYoung
TXAggie2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He'd been in charge for only 85 days.

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/38442329?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_sport&ns_source=facebook&ns_linkname=sport
byfLuger41
AG
Well...bye
Out in Left Field
AG
It's hard out there for a pimp.
JJxvi
AG
To be fair, how can you blame Swansea...aint nobody got time to wait for the manager to actually get a transfer window when a shimmering pearl like Alan Pardew or whoever is suddenly available!
Mathguy64
AG
1-1-5, -6 GD BB (before Bob)
2-2-7, -14 GD WB (with Bob)

They were a bad team before he took over. They will still be a bad team tomorrow.
Dre_00
I'm not a Bradley fan (don't hate him either) but I seriously hope they go down. All the way to League 2 for all I care. If you run your club horribly, you deserve to pay the consequences. And their fans are truly ludicrous...in large quantities.

Bradley did not do well but the whole situation is more of a black mark on the club than on him.
jeffk
AG
Swansea are a bunch of cowards.
YankeeAg05
Defense was bad when he got there and wasn't going to get better without some transfers in. Think he would have been given longer if he didn't have an American accent? Seems like he was in the news regularly taking heat for using American terms in interviews.
JJxvi
AG
Swansea lost a preseason friendly 2-0 with mostly a full squad against the Richmond Kickers.
An Ag in CO
AG
I see that Norway is looking at him for their mens national team. He is well liked there and they saw what he did while coaching there. Don't think he'll be unemployed for too long regardless.
OregonAggie
AG
An Ag in CO said:

I see that Norway is looking at him for their mens national team. He is well liked there and they saw what he did while coaching there. Don't think he'll be unemployed for too long regardless.

He's a good coach and will definitely land a job quickly. He took a chance anyone in his position would've taken and it didn't work out. On to the next job.
FW Declerk
and thats why you are Swansea
PJD Ag 10
AG
Saw relegation and panicked. Too bad. With some purchases next week he would have been on his way to right the ship.

Interested to see where he goes next.
Dre_00
I think the thing that pisses me off most about English football is this endless belief that it's somehow uber special in spite of all evidence pointing to the contrary. There's this huge native arrogance in stuff like "Can he handle the intensity of the EPL?", "Can he do it on a cold night in Stoke", "Can he handle a relegation race?" etc. etc. blah, blah, blah.

Newsflash England. Your national team is average at best. The best teams in your domestic league routinely get beat by the best in Spain and Germany (and your 2nd tier teams do too), you haven't had a world class English player in decades, and your league isn't that special anymore.

And yes, I know that Swansea is in Wales but when you play in the EPL, English generalizations get applied to you too.
Dre_00
I've heralded the site before Football365 (and specifically Daniel Storey) has summarized the Bradley firing perfectly in my opinion:

Quote:

Bob Bradley
You could argue that 11 games is insufficient time for a manager to implement their plans. You could argue that Swansea's defence (having lost Ashley Williams) is Championship standard. You could argue that the media furore (which the manager chose to address) over his nationality and accent was a strong strand of football snobbery bordering on xenophobia. You could argue that this was a sitting duck appointment.

All of those arguments have merit. That there was even a discussion in some quarters about whether an American manager can truly 'get' English football only highlights the resistance to difference that threatens to hold back the development of our game. That Jamie Fulton, Modou Barrow, Stephen Kingsley and Mike van der Hoorn have shared 34 league starts this season indicates that Swansea's squad is simply not up to Premier League standards. We've said it before, but there needs to be some sort of freedom mission to extricate Gylfi Sigurdsson from South Wales. Bob Bradley was dealt a hand of twos, threes and fours and asked to come up with royal flush.

Yet let's not pretend that the American was blameless. Swansea conceded three or more goals in eight of his 11 league games, and the players never warmed to his methods. If that raises an accusation against them, it says plenty about the manager too. He was guilty of naivety in believing that Swansea could attack the opposition and be successful, rather than focusing on clean sheets and defensive solidity. Bradley's replacement should not make the same mistakes, and will have January to bolster their options.

"I knew exactly what I was getting into when I came to Swansea and realised the hardest part was always going to be getting points in the short run," Bradley said after his sacking. "But I believe in myself and I believe in going for it. That's what I've always told my players. Football can be cruel and to have a chance you have to be strong. I wish Swansea the best and look forward to my next challenge."

In glorious hindsight, Bradley was the right appointment at the wrong time. Given the chance to build a squad, and afforded transfer windows to do so, he could still be successful in England. Given a squad that needed an instant fix, he was helpless. Both club and manager will feel the lasting effects of that mistake.

The worry is that so too may Bradley's countrymen, battling to be taken seriously by a footballing culture that struggles with open-mindedness. We can only hope that the failure of one does not tar all others, but the reality may be very different indeed.

jeffk
AG
Lost 3-0 to Bournemouth today.
Out in Left Field
AG
They bad
Kramer
AG
If the English started an American Football league and a coach was hired by an NFL team, you'd hear all the same things.
PJYoung
AG
His record, goal differential, etc. was much worse than the last two managers they had thru the same number of matches. It was time for him to go.

And yes, I would love to see them drop down and stay there for a good long while.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.