Restructuring Likely for Leagues Below MLS

1,201 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Pahdz
aggiesoccer#1fan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2016/12/03/nasl-new-york-cosmos-future-us-soccer-usl-meetings
drhockey14
AG
A lot has happened since the article you linked was written. Cosmos folded yesterday.
YankeeAg05
I wish the lower leagues here were organized more like baseball (several levels all somewhat affiliated with an MLS team). I don't think we're ever going to see promotion/relegation (and I don't really care if we do) but I think it'd be good for player development if there were more paths for playing time between the academy level and first team. It seems like we're headed that way with USL affiliation and thats probably better in the long run.
PJYoung
AG
Update. Sounds like NASL is done.

http://fiftyfive.one/2016/12/sources-nasl-last-legs-usl-deal-99-complete/
Dre_00
NASL folding? No way anyone could have seen that coming.
PJYoung
AG
Dre_00 said:

NASL folding? No way anyone could have seen that coming.
Pahdz
Good, here in OKC it got really hateful between our USL franchise (more established, this was year three) and the new first season NASL team owned by almost broke Rayo from La Liga. Our NASL team had signed some decent players (Robbie Findley being one, a couple other guys with World Cup experience from other nations), but everything they did was second rate, including a tiff between an ownership partner here and an operating partner, the latter who stole portions of the field late in the year.
PJD Ag 10
AG
I read a great article proposing that our lower leagues need to be regional during the season to reduce travel costs, and other region winners during a playoff. Much like 4th tier England or 3rd tier France. It's insane that OKC travels to Edmonton or wherever for a game that 4;000 people go to.
Pahdz
USL sorta does that, I don't believe the west played the east at all last year, but there is still a huge travel distance for some of the west teams.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.