Plane carrying a Brazilian club team has crashed

2 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by byfLuger41
oragator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
euronews Verified account @euronews

#breaking A plane carrying the Brazilian foofball team #Chapecoense has crashed in Colombia. #CP2933
Embedded image
9:49 PM - 28 Nov 2016
gambochaman
AG
Just saw
http://www.espnfc.com/chapecoense-af/story/3007152/plane-flying-chapecoense-to-copa-sudamericana-final-crashes-in-colombia

76 dead
5 survivors

God have mercy
byfLuger41
AG
Here.
wangus12
AG
damn
who?mikejones
AG
Same plane carried the argentina national team to Brazil for the last international date.
Bockaneer
AG
Brutal and heartbreaking

Prayers for the team and all affected
jeffk
AG
wangus12
AG
jeffk said:

This is just so crushing of an image.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, I can't even imagine.

Reminded me of the true story We Are Marshall is based on. Survivor's guilt is going to be crushing.
jeffk
AG
gambochaman
AG
classy move from atletico
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Also heard that other Brazilian clubs will loan players to Chapecoense and ask the league for a 3 year moratorium on their ability to be relegated. Solid move.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, they're waiving their loan fees.
wangus12
AG
Its being handled with the utmost care and respect. Such a terrible situation. Sounds like it was a young squad too.
jeffk
AG
CoolAggie
AG
Their Facebook page did a Facebook Live from the airport as the players were waiting to board the plane. Very sad situation. RIP.
PJD Ag 10
AG
Good grief those pictures. Very sad
titanmaster_race
Awful. Any news on the cause of the crash?
Dre_00
Heard that the pilots reported electrical malfunction right before crashing.

I've also heard that Palmeiras, who ironically just beat Chapo and clinched the Serie A title in the process, has asked to wear the Chapo jersey to honor the team in their next game.

Such a sad situation but it's amazing to see the outpouring of support from teams like Nacional, Palmeiras, and LIvertad...the Paraguayan team who offered their entire team to Chapo for any and every game.
randy828
AG
Fox Soccer on FB posted this video of the team .

https://www.facebook.com/foxsoccer/videos/10154364181167946/

Edit...just saw it was the same video as JeffK twitter link...
titanmaster_race
http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/29/americas/colombia-plane-crash-investigation/index.html

Apparently they ran out of fuel. It looks like they were stuck in a holding pattern for too long. Once the fuel goes, so does the electrical system. No fire with the crash, which points to no fuel left.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
I read somewhere (and I can't remember where) that this flight was just under the maximum range for the aircraft. So running out of fuel definitely makes sense.
titanmaster_race
Planes generally only carry as much fuel as they need to get to a destination, plus some extra for a buffer. If planes were always fueled to capacity, then airlines would be hauling fuel around instead of just passengers, which means less profit.

It's nor a dangerous or dirty thing. Just a thing.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Oh I know, but my point was they may not have had enough fuel capacity for said buffer. I don't know. I'm not sure if there are regulations that apply to how much buffer you're required to have for an aircraft in Latin America.
gougler08
AG
Maximus_Meridius said:

Oh I know, but my point was they may not have had enough fuel capacity for said buffer. I don't know. I'm not sure if there are regulations that apply to how much buffer you're required to have for an aircraft in Latin America.
Normally pilots will tell air traffic control if they're tight on fuel and then be brought in to the airport ahead of other planes (had a pilot tell me this directly), so maybe the gauges were off or something?
aTmAg
AG

Quote:

The team flew from Sao Paulo to Santa Cruz on a commercial flight, then switched to the chartered aircraft.
Brazil's O Globo reported that because of a delayed departure, a refuelling stop in Cobija - on the border between Brazil and Bolivia - was abandoned because the airport did not operate at night.
The pilot had the option to refuel in Bogota, but headed straight to Medellin.
"The pilot was the one who took the decision," Gustavo Vargas, a representative of Lamia, which operated the plane, was quoted as saying in Bolivian newspaper Pagina Siete. "He thought the fuel would last."
Approaching Medellin, the pilot asked for permission to land because of fuel problems, without making a formal distress call.
But another plane from airline VivaColombia had priority because it had already suffered a fuel leak, the co-pilot of another plane in the air at the time said.
oragator
One of the three survivors woke up from his coma this weekend and asked how the team did. They have decided not to tell him what happened until he recovers a bit more.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/soccer-player-survived-plane-crash-221600051.html

wangus12
AG
damn
gambochaman
AG
i cant even begin to understand what that must feel like
oragator
So the final Bolivian report really slams the pilot.
He lied about where he took off from so he could carry less fuel, had almost run out of fuel several times before, and apparently was a military deserter who was in the process of being charged for that.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4053008/Bolivia-says-airline-pilot-responsible-plane-crash.html
byfLuger41
AG
Such a terrible story.

Thoughts and prayer to the lost and their families.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.